PDA

View Full Version : Lieber, Renteria, Roberts, Mientkeciwz, and a middle reliever and or a catcher two.

Sufferin
11-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Use the money from Mags's and Valentin's contracs to sign Renteria and Lieber. If you needmore you'll get i tby trading Konerko for Mientkewicz (or however you spell it) and Roberts, if the BoSox will do it (they might), try to snag Timlin or somebody too in that trade. Move Garland for a solid middle reliever and a catcher or youngun.

Start Roberts in left and Rownad in right with Everett/Gload filling in. Play Mientkewicz at 1st with Gload and Big Frank getting some time.

Roberts
Renteria
Thomas
Lee
Mientkwiecz
Rowand
Crede
catcher du jour
Harris/Uribe

Buerlhle
Garcia
Lieber
Contreras
Grillli/5th starter dujour

Doesn't look too bad to me. As far as I know neither Renteria nor Lieber uses Boras-but I'm too lazy to lok it up.

Note: I'm also too lazy to read any other posts right now, just wanted to pass along my thoughts. So if someone already mentioned these guys, my apologies.

Cheers:gulp:

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Use the money from Mags's and Valentin's contracs to sign Renteria and Lieber. If you needmore you'll get i tby trading Konerko for Mientkewicz (or however you spell it) and Roberts, if the BoSox will do it (they might), try to snag Timlin or somebody too in that trade.
What? A few more posts and KW might hire you as an assistant.

You would trade (Avg / OBP / SLG) (HR / RBI / SB)

Paul Konerko - 29 years old .278 / .345 / .481 (41 / 117 / 1) for

Doug Mientkiewicz - 31 years old .272 / .363 / .404 (6 25 2) (a 1B with no power)

&

Dave Roberts - 33 years old .259 / .333 / .344 (4/25/38) (an old Alex Sanchez)

I think World Series champion GM 29 year old Theo Epstein would take Kenny G Williams up on that. Those sabermetrics morons don't know anything. ROFLMAO

Flight #24
11-16-2004, 02:47 PM
What? A few more posts and KW might hire you as an assistant.

You would trade (Avg / OBP / SLG) (HR / RBI / SB)

Paul Konerko - 29 years old .278 / .345 / .481 (41 / 117 / 1) for

Doug Mientkiewicz - 31 years old .272 / .363 / .404 (6 25 2) (a 1B with no power)

&

Dave Roberts - 33 years old .259 / .333 / .344 (4/25/38) (an old Alex Sanchez)

I think World Series champion GM 29 year old Theo Epstein would take Kenny G Williams up on that. Those sabermetrics morons don't know anything. ROFLMAO
You ignore salaries and call yourself a "Moneyballer"? :?:

His point is that the downgrade at 1B can be counterbalanced by upgrades elsewhere using the $8mil from Paulie (Not sure what Roberts & Minky make, but it's got to be a lot less than $8mil).

You might disagree with that, but doing a straight comparison on something that's essentially a salary dump is just foolish.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
His point is that the downgrade at 1B can be counterbalanced by upgrades elsewhere using the $8mil from Paulie (Not sure what Roberts & Minky make, but it's got to be a lot less than $8mil).

You might disagree with that, but doing a straight comparison on something that's essentially a salary dump is just foolish.
Contreras, Everett and Thomas are candidates for salary dumping, not Konerko.

Doug Mientkiewicz - Due $3.75 Million in 2005 & 2006 (or $450,000 buyout for 2006).

Dave Roberts - Earned $1 Million in 2004 - (Not signed in 2005).

Not much of a salary dump for one of three Sox hitters worth a damn in 2004.

Frater Perdurabo
11-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Does that mean that Lee is playing CF? :o:

FightingBillini
11-16-2004, 03:04 PM

Doug Mientkiewicz - Due $3.75 Million in 2005 & 2006 (or $450,000 buyout for 2006).

Dave Roberts - Earned $1 Million in 2004 - (Not signed in 2005).

Not much of a salary dump for one of three Sox hitters worth a damn in 2004.
NO! They are not candidates for salary dumping becuase nobody want them at their current salaries.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
NO! They are not candidates for salary dumping becuase nobody want them at their current salaries.
Exactly. And neither is Paul Konerko for the opposite reason. I could see trading Konerko for some good younger players. But pairing him with Rowand / Garland for a 41 year old pitcher or for dregs like Doug M and Roberts is nonsense.

jabrch
11-16-2004, 03:13 PM
No - Frank has a no trade clause and likey wouldn't take a trade anywhere. He is also unhealthy - and nobody would give you much in terms of value for him. Anyhow, he is still our best hitter, if healthy.

Trading Contreras wouldn't help either. It would just open up another hole in the rotation.

And Everett doesn't make much to trade - not that anyone would take him off of our hands at this point in time.

So those are not salary dump candidates. The 8mm 1B, a position where you can find a replacement cheaply, is the best candidate to move.

Palehose13
11-16-2004, 03:15 PM
The Roberts I want to see on the southside is Brian Roberts.

I wonder who Baltimore would want for B.J. Ryan and Roberts or Hairiston jr. If no Ryan, then how about either just Hairiston jr or Roberts? With Tejada they have a bit of a log jam in their middle infield and I wouldn't mind helping them out with that little problem.

Regarding Mesuckmynutz, I don't want him anywhere near the SS unless he is on the opposing team.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 03:19 PM
No - Frank has a no trade clause and likey wouldn't take a trade anywhere. He is also unhealthy - and nobody would give you much in terms of value for him. Anyhow, he is still our best hitter, if healthy.

Trading Contreras wouldn't help either. It would just open up another hole in the rotation.

And Everett doesn't make much to trade - not that anyone would take him off of our hands at this point in time.

So those are not salary dump candidates. The 8mm 1B, a position where you can find a replacement cheaply, is the best candidate to move.
Frank might have been the Sox best hitter last decade. He is not the same player in his late 30s and after two season ending injuries since 2001 (while playing the physically demanding DH position).

Contreras is a hole in our rotation. A huge black hole signed through 2006. KW is the only sap out of 30 MLB teams to accept salary dumping by the NEW YORK YANKEES.

And whose fault was it to acquire Everett mid season yet again, this time with us stuck with his $4 million option for which Ozzie comments "I hope he shows up in shape in 2005".

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 03:21 PM
The Roberts I want to see on the southside is Brian Roberts.
I think Julia would be acceptable as well :smile:

Palehose13
11-16-2004, 03:25 PM
I think Julia would be acceptable as well :smile:
:?: Can she play middle infield?

akingamongstmen
11-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Frank might have been the Sox best hitter last decade. He is not the same player in his late 30s and after two season ending injuries since 2001 (while playing the physically demanding DH position).

Contreras is a hole in our rotation. A huge black hole signed through 2006. KW is the only sap out of 30 MLB teams to accept salary dumping by the NEW YORK YANKEES.

And whose fault was it to acquire Everett mid season yet again, this time with us stuck with his $4 million option for which Ozzie comments "I hope he shows up in shape in 2005".
I know that I'm probably starting the same ol' song and dance here, but KW made those moves for a reason. Everett was acquired in the hopes that he would help us down the stretch like he did in 2003. Contreras was acquired because we wanted to get something for Loaiza, and because he has undeniable potential. The hope is that the Sox coaching staff can harness that potential (either as a starter or reliever).

Over By There
11-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Mientkewiefvwerhvewiz? The same guy who last year said Sox fans don't deserve to host the All Star Game? Uh-uh.

johnny_mostil
11-16-2004, 07:44 PM

First, Frank is the best hitter in the history of the franchise and he deserves to go out like he came in, as a White Sox player. Dumping him now, frankly, would be like what happened with Emmitt Smith and the Dallas Cowboys, signifying a classless organization. Frank was still, also, EASILY, the most productive hitter on the team per plate appearance last season. Second, Contreras is a total question mark, not a hole, as anyone who watched him pitch his last start, or in 2003, would attest. He's got good stuff. He could pull a Loaiza, there's no telling. Third, the Rangers easily beat the Sox by paying the Yankees, what, 7 million a year to "take" Alex Rodriguez. Fourth, Everett in shape is still a decent player, and at least Carl and Frank have heard the words "ball four" often enough that the ump doesn't have to remind them to take first base.

johnny_mostil
11-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Mientkewiefvwerhvewiz? The same guy who last year said Sox fans don't deserve to host the All Star Game? Uh-uh.
Oh, I don't know. The White Sox could assign Minky in four or five weeks to go to Halas Hall and serve as Brian Urlacher's tackling dummy while he gets back into shape.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
First, Frank is the best hitter in the history of the franchise and he deserves to go out like he came in, as a White Sox player. Dumping him now, frankly, would be like what happened with Emmitt Smith and the Dallas Cowboys, signifying a classless organization.
You mean like how the Sox treated Carlton Fisk?

I agree that Thomas at least can contribute when healthy and I as a fan would like him to go out as a White Sox. And of the three middle age amigos (Everett & Contreras) is the best by far.

I hope all three can contribute in 2005 as they take up over 1/3 of payroll (current payroll - hopefully there are increases at least matching the increases fans will have to pony up in 2005) and will be the only way the Sox will be able to finally win the weakest division in baseball.

Takatsufan
11-16-2004, 08:02 PM
What about Edgar Renteria at shortstop? :whistle:

"There are no Cubs fans, only Wrigley Field Fans." - Unknown

Takatsufan
11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
If anyone here hates the Cubs, I have the web address of the official Cubs Suck Club at http://cubssuck.knup.net/

"There are no Cubs Fans, only Wrigley Field Fans." - Unknown