PDA

View Full Version : No Vizquel....Good or Bad?

jlh0023
11-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Pros
.290 Hitter
Solid Defender - Solidify Infield

Cons
Will be 41 when contract expires
Not a team leader
His name rhymes with lomar nizquel

jlh0023
11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
personally 4 million was about my cut-off for what i would have paid him, but in the long run i think we can do better....he may age like barry bonds, but once you get into the upper 30's lower 40's it gets to be a liability, and not knowing where are payroll will be in the coming years 4 million could be a significant number if he stops producing.

opinions?

Jerome
11-15-2004, 11:05 PM
What was his OBP last year? If it was less than .350, why are we so worried about losing this guy?

Our number one need should be a guy at the top of the lineup that gets on base a ton for the big guys to drive them in.

(remember how unstoppable we were last June when Harris and Uribe were getting on base like crazy?)

I would love to see Todd Walker or Jerry Hairston. Not positive on their stats but pretty sure that their OBP is more than .350

SoxFan76
11-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I wasn't exactly opposed to Vizquel coming, but Uribe is a fine option at SS. I don't think many disagree with that, as the situation was that Vizquel would replace Willie. But I honestly don't mind Willie starting either.

Daver
11-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Why was a poll started about a player that is already signed by a team that is not the White Sox here?

nitetrain8601
11-15-2004, 11:52 PM
It's not bad or good, it's GREAT!!!!!!

LAWSfan
11-16-2004, 02:27 AM
What was his OBP last year? If it was less than .350, why are we so worried about losing this guy?

Our number one need should be a guy at the top of the lineup that gets on base a ton for the big guys to drive them in.

(remember how unstoppable we were last June when Harris and Uribe were getting on base like crazy?)

I would love to see Todd Walker or Jerry Hairston. Not positive on their stats but pretty sure that their OBP is more than .350
You know how many more pitches, outs, and runs Walker allows because he has about as much range as a phone booth? The White Sox have the bats. Especially if Frank is healthy. They need to improve their defense. Walker doesn't help.

Hairston had a 378 OBP (One of the most overrated stat ever) last year but his career OBP is 334. Just brilliant. And he's played about 150 games the last TWO years. Injuries prone, got beat out by Brian Roberts at 2nd, not a high OBP. And you want this guy? I would rather take my chances that Harris and Uribe will develop.

MUsoxfan
11-16-2004, 03:41 AM
I would rather take my chances that Harris and Uribe will develop.
Agreed. Especially Uribe. I think he may be one of the best utility infielders in the AL. He's got Gold Glove potential at more than one position. That's more than we can say for Manos, Crede, R. Alomar (anymore) or even Harris. I'm more of a fan of Harris for his speed. He's almost a carbon copy of Willie Mays Hayes of the film Major League. He may still be worth it yet.