PDA

View Full Version : Forget the SS Position, get a 2nd Basemen

11-15-2004, 10:43 AM
We got a SS in Uribe that can handle it, if the SS are out of our range, lets do after a second basemen, Polanco or even Walker

Mickster
11-15-2004, 10:49 AM
We got a SS in Uribe that can handle it, if the SS are out of our range, lets do after a second basemen, Polanco or even Walker
I think that KW was looking at a SS rather than 2B b/c it adds mucho flexibility.

If we have a starting SS (not Uribe) we have Uribe who can fill-in at 2nd, 3rd, and SS. Assuming we sign a 2nd baseman, we lose that flexibility...

hold2dibber
11-15-2004, 10:54 AM
I think that KW was looking at a SS rather than 2B b/c it adds mucho flexibility.

If we have a starting SS (not Uribe) we have Uribe who can fill-in at 2nd, 3rd, and SS. Assuming we sign a 2nd baseman, we lose that flexibility...
Well, they clearly need someone besides Uribe at the roster who can play SS. But I agree with the jist of this thread - which, I think, is that I'm relatively comfortable with Uribe starting every day at SS. But I'd rather sign a decent 2B (e.g., Polanco) than a crappy SS (e.g., Guzman). Then Valdez is the back-up SS. Now, if, OTOH, we're talking about trying to sign Renteria or Garciaparra, that's a different matter. But assuming that's not the case, in light of the "2nd tier" of available players at SS or 2B, I think the Sox are better off getting a 2B and leaving SS to Uribe.

SoxFanTillDeath
11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Whatever happened to the Uribe at SS lovefest? I want to see Uribe playing short. I'd like to see Womack playing 2B with Little Willie backing him up.

Kennyball
11-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Polanco can play 2b, 3b, and SS all with solid defense. Plus, he's one of the most underrated offensive second basemen in the game. He reeks of value.

bafiarocks03
11-15-2004, 08:34 PM
We have Willie Harris as our starting 2nd baseman! Why waste more money on getting another 2nd baseman!?

MRKARNO
11-15-2004, 08:49 PM
We have Willie Harris as our starting 2nd baseman! Why waste more money on getting another 2nd baseman!?
If we cant get Polanco, then I would recommend going this route.

guillen4life13
11-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Did you forget the teal or did you really mean that?

JRIG
11-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Polanco can play 2b, 3b, and SS all with solid defense. Plus, he's one of the most underrated offensive second basemen in the game. He reeks of value.
Polanco is my endorsed pathway right now. As you said, he can spell Crede at 3B if need be. I'm not as confident in him at SS, but Uribe should be OK out there, I suppose. If he's getable at less than $6 million per, I think we should grab him.

mjharrison72
11-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Polanco is my endorsed pathway right now. As you said, he can spell Crede at 3B if need be. I'm not as confident in him at SS, but Uribe should be OK out there, I suppose. If he's getable at less than $6 million per, I think we should grab him.
I definitely agree... Polanco is under the radar right now, what with Womack coming off a basically career year in STL and murmurs about the Rangers dumping Soraino. And I definitely don't think Todd Walker should be a serious option at 2B. Willie Harris should be nothing more than a backup 2B/OF; he's had plenty of time to prove himself, and he proved plenty to me. I hope the Sox go after Polanco with a serious 3-4 year deal, even if he is $6M or so.

batmanZoSo
11-16-2004, 12:37 PM
I've been saying this for months. Very few people, it seems, don't realize that Uribe is a damn good shortstop and that's what he played before he came here. And since second baseman tend to be a little bit cheaper and a tad easier to find (just because SS is such a high-profile, high-prestige position), it would probably be the best route to take. Especially now that Vizquel is a Giant. No one else really makes sense on this team.

hold2dibber
11-16-2004, 03:32 PM
I definitely agree... Polanco is under the radar right now, what with Womack coming off a basically career year in STL and murmurs about the Rangers dumping Soraino. And I definitely don't think Todd Walker should be a serious option at 2B. Willie Harris should be nothing more than a backup 2B/OF; he's had plenty of time to prove himself, and he proved plenty to me. I hope the Sox go after Polanco with a serious 3-4 year deal, even if he is $6M or so.
Egads - I like Polanco, but I wouldn't give him 4 years/$24 mm or anything close to it. Absolute max would be 3 years/$15 mm. I'd try to get him signed up for a 2 years for total of $8 million million each, with a team option for a third year at $5 million. I would think that would be his approximate market value.

Jurr
11-16-2004, 09:46 PM
I am beginning to think that there may be some real validity to the Soriano talk. He's been a winner everywhere he's gone (both places) and the Rangers are supposedly high on Garland. If what Phillips said on the Sportscenter special is true and Soriano does go to the Sox, I wouldn't complain.

Yeah, yeah...he strikes out some and his glove isn't golden...yet he makes the All Star team year in and year out, he's got the fastest hands and wrists in the game, and he'd have a MONSTER year at USCF.

It warrants some thought.

joe47
11-16-2004, 11:07 PM

If we can get Palanco for the same price as Visquel, I think that would represent a big upgrade of our infield.

I'm also a proponent of trading for Juan Pierre as our CF and moving Aaron to RF. He would be a good affordable fit, bringing good OBP (.370), hitting for average (.323 last year), speed and defense. All qualities Ozzie and KW say they want.

I think we need to free up some salary by trading Carl and Paulie for pitching. Carl is a tough sell, but I imagine Konerko would have many teams interested.

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 11:37 PM
I think we need to free up some salary by trading Carl and Paulie for pitching. Carl is a tough sell, but I imagine Konerko would have many teams interested.
Why go through all the hassle of trading Carl Everett when you know he will wind up back here by the trade deadline? :tongue:

joe47
11-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Why go through all the hassle of trading Carl Everett when you know he will wind up back here by the trade deadline? :tongue:

Good point! At first you go me laugh, then I realized there should be no sarcasm to that statement. If we get rid of Carl, it will just cost us another 2 prospects when KW gets him for the 3rd time.

hold2dibber
11-17-2004, 07:28 AM
If we can get Palanco for the same price as Visquel, I think that would represent a big upgrade of our infield.

I'm also a proponent of trading for Juan Pierre as our CF and moving Aaron to RF. He would be a good affordable fit, bringing good OBP (.370), hitting for average (.323 last year), speed and defense. All qualities Ozzie and KW say they want.

I completely agree. As I understand it, the Marlins have a hot shot CF prospect ready for prime time. I just don't know what it would take to get Pierre from them. I don't see them having interest in Konerko at $8.5 million and I'm quite certain that wouldn't trade Pierre for Everett. It would probably take young, cheap pitching (e.g., some combination of Garland, Cotts, Diaz, Munoz, Adkins, etc.) and the Sox are awfully thin in the pitching department already.