PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Shawn Chacon...

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 08:03 PM
The Rockies are considering moving pitcher Shawn Chacon, and the White Sox are among teams with interest. He could be a fifth starter or a dynamite setup man. . . . Colorado is likely to lose third baseman Vinny Castilla, who was third in the majors with 131 RBIs last year, over a difference of $1 million to $2 million per season. He's the type of stopgap who could make the Sox more competitive, but it doesn't appear they are ready to give up on Joe Crede.Would you guys welcome a deal that brings him here if it means filling other holes as well?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-0411140209nov14,1,261064.column?coll=cs-sports-print

jordan23ventura
11-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Would you guys welcome a deal that brings him here if it means filling other holes as well?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-0411140209nov14,1,261064.column?coll=cs-sports-print
It depends on who we would have to give up. I'm guessing they'd want to rape our farm system since they need some big help.

santo=dorf
11-14-2004, 08:20 PM
:threadsucks

WORST. PITCHER. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GiveMeSox
11-14-2004, 08:23 PM
It depends on who we would have to give up. I'm guessing they'd want to rape our farm system since they need some big help.
As a set up man or merely reliver for our pen i welcome him. Let him battle it out with shingo for who is gonna be set-up or who is gonna close. We need better guys than "flat fastball" polite and neal "i have 2 pitches" cotts.

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 08:29 PM
I think I would bring him in as our 5th starter if it does mean us getting a JD Drew, or a Renteria or a bunch of real solid fill-ins. I think we probably would give up a decent prospect or 2 for him.

Mohoney
11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
If Chacon can take Politte's spot, Politte can take Adkins' spot, and we sign Troy Percival with the money earmarked for Vizquel, our bullpen is a very talented one.

Cotts (situational lefty/junk time at MOST)
Politte (5th option, 1 or 2 batter stints)
Chacon (a very good 4th option, even a good 3rd option)
Marte (3rd option)
Shingo (8th inning guy/closer)
Percival (8th inning guy/closer)

As long as our bullpen strategy gets away from the lefty/righty matchup crap and we run out the BEST POSSIBLE PITCHER for the inning we're in, this bullpen should be one of the best in the AL.

I could live with Politte as a 6th inning guy and Chacon/Marte as a 7th inning guy, IF I get Troy Percival.

If Chacon is the only move that is made for this bullpen, then I'm against it. But if we couple a Chacon deal with a Troy Percival signing, I think we're seriously in business.

Clembasbal
11-14-2004, 08:50 PM
:threadsucks

WORST. PITCHER. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You use this way too often. It is a bad thread, but a justified one. We are talking about an actually published source talking about this information...it is not coming from a Rockies thread or something similar.

Wealz
11-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Chacon is a really bad pitcher. On the plus side he's cheaper than Contreras.

Clembasbal
11-14-2004, 08:51 PM
He is the worst pitcher ever, and his number speak for themselves.

US Cellular is the Coors Field of the American LEague. You might say that Chacon's 7.11 ERA last year was beacuse of the thin air, I will tell you that over his career his away stats look like this...

W-L = 6-16
Saves = 17/21
ERA = 5.21
K/BB = 93/88 (Look at this walks, forget about him now!)

His home stats are even worse...and if you look at his stats from last year, they look worse than that.

He is a terrible starter, and a worse reliever.

He was paid close to $2 million last year, meaning he will either make the same or more as a crappy relief pitcher.

He is a bum!

Soxzilla
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Umm sorry ... why would we trade for Jason Grilli when he's already on the team?

c4birdiemaker
11-14-2004, 10:20 PM
As a set up man or merely reliver for our pen i welcome him. Let him battle it out with shingo for who is gonna be set-up or who is gonna close. We need better guys than "flat fastball" polite and neal "i have 2 pitches" cotts.mariano only has 1 pitch

c4birdiemaker
11-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Chacon is a really bad pitcher. On the plus side he's cheaper than Contreras.conteras is gonna be decent for us.

DonkeyKongerko
11-15-2004, 01:33 AM
mariano only has 1 pitch
Cutters, four-seamers and two-seamers are all fastballs but not the same pitch. He also varies the cut to his cutter making it even nastier.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-15-2004, 01:46 AM
If KW didn't give up Joe Crede in the trade for Freddy Garcia, why would he deal him for Shawn freaking Chacon? Didn't the guy blow 15 saves last year?

JRIG
11-15-2004, 04:10 AM
Vinny Castilla has been simply awful everywhere outside of Coors. We do have Coors East...but I would still not be comfortable with his aquisition at all.

Not a fan of Chacon either.

Jjav829
11-15-2004, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't mind Chacon cheaply. I don't know, I think he's a candidate for a Coors-removal breakout. I look for the Cubs to land him in a Farnsworth for Chacon deal, though.

Jabroni
11-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Chacon is garbage. He was converted to a closer and he's even worse now.

MHOUSE
11-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Chacon had a decent season in '03 as a starter. He was 11-8 with a 4.60 ERA in Coors field. If he could be had for cheap, like one or two prospects (not our top guys) then I would welcome him to battle out for a bullpen spot or even as a 5th starter. I was surprised when Colorado made him the closer after a decent year in 2003 as a starter. He was godawful last year, but still saved 35 games.

nodiggity59
11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Chacon is garbage. He was converted to a closer and he's even worse now.
He DID save 35 games...which is an overated stat but is still impressive since I'm not even sure Foulke had a year like that with us. If we could get the Rockies to pick up at least half of his $2mil and we gave up a marginal guy like Bajenaru, I might be for it.

When is he a FA?

akingamongstmen
11-15-2004, 07:44 PM
He DID save 35 games...which is an overated stat but is still impressive since I'm not even sure Foulke had a year like that with us. If we could get the Rockies to pick up at least half of his $2mil and we gave up a marginal guy like Bajenaru, I might be for it.

When is he a FA?
Why give up a "marginal guy" for a more expensive marginal guy?

Oh, and for the record, Shawn Chacon and Keith Foulke should never be mentioned in the same breath. Never.