PDA

View Full Version : WHat about a partial rebuild?

jordan23ventura
11-14-2004, 07:45 PM
What do you guys think about a partial rebuild?

How about instead of trying to fill several holes with a limited budget we do something like plan for the future?

If we could trade Carlos, Everett, Konerko, and maybe Garland for some pitching and MIF prospects, why not go out and give Beltran whatever he is asking for and then lock him up?

If we could figure on an outfield of Sweeney/Anderson-Beltran-Rowand, and then starting staff beginning with Buerhle-Garcia for the next few years, we have a pretty good start. Let Crede play 3rd for one last time, Uribe at short, give Willie one full year at 2B, and put Gload at first until someone else is ready. Obviously, there isn't much for playoff chances, but at least we could perhaps add some depth in the MIF which is definately lacking. Maybe try to sign a veteran catcher like Miller and bring up some pitching for a year and see how they hold up. Let Cotts/Diaz/McCarthy/Grilli take the last two spots in the rotation (without ruining their confidence and sending them right back to AAA), see if Contreras can close and if Munoz can be an effective set-up man, and lets just see what happens.

I know this thread is going to meet some opposition, but at the same time I doubt that KW is going to be able to effectively plug holes without opening other ones. Perhaps if we traded from areas where we have some depth (i.e. outfield) we could strengthen other areas and surround ourselves with a core that is inexpensive enough to go out and get the FA's we need.

Thoughts?

dickallen15
11-14-2004, 07:54 PM
If the Sox were in the AL East or West, that would probably be the correct course of action. With the way the Central is now, you could build a team that has a decent chance of winning the division while building up the minor leagues, and integrating young players into the line up. A 4 or 5 year total rebuilding project may set attendance back 10-15 years, plus many in this ownership group are getting a little long in the tooth. I do think they will start becoming more aggressive, ie raising the payroll significantly the next couple years.

fusillirob1983
11-14-2004, 08:00 PM
I'm not too sure Beltran would want to sign with a team that is rebuilding.

jordan23ventura
11-14-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm not too sure Beltran would want to sign with a team that is rebuilding.That's why we'd lie to him and make any trades AFTER he signs w/ us. Muahahahaha!

Besides, I would only be interested in trading a few players as opposed to dumping everyone. I'd hate to see them complteley gut the team.

But also, all the talk about pursuing a No.1 starter is fun and all, but I'm sure it involves trading our top prospects, which is a bad thing. If we trade Sweeney/Anderson/McCarthy for example, then we have to fill future holes with $5-8mil players as opposed to the league minimum, which would put us in the same type of position we are in now, being too many holes and not enough $$$.

RKMeibalane
11-14-2004, 09:12 PM
As stubborn and foolish as Reinsdorf is, I think that even he realizes that a rebuilding process now, even a partial one, would nearly destroy the Sox fanbase. People are still angry with him because the 1994 strike, the 1997 WF Trade, the constant payroll slashing, etc. Besides, the Sox play in baseball's weakest division, and as long as that's the case (I don't see how it could change), they will be in the hunt for a division title.

As much as they have underachieved the past few seasons, the Sox have managed to at least temporarily hold onto first place for stretches during the season. This suggests that they aren't that far away from being a WS contender, in the event that Williams is able to sign another impact player to beef up the starting rotation or the outfield.

Shingotime!!
11-14-2004, 09:56 PM
That's why we'd lie to him and make any trades AFTER he signs w/ us. Muahahahaha! Thats funny!