PDA

View Full Version : Now that Omar is officially a Giant who do we go after...

Mots09
11-14-2004, 02:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1922778

What about the possibilty of going after Renteria..

soxwon
11-14-2004, 02:40 PM

rentarias gonna be a cub.
maybe alex gonzalez or guzman,
once again we miss out.

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 02:41 PM
I would love to get Renteria and I think KW would like that move because it seems like a KW move. However, I know people on this board will find some reason why he would be a bad fit as people naturally on this board b**** for whatever reasons. I think this just adds more fuel to the rumor of Soriano coming here though. Which is another move I expect people to b**** about.

mdep524
11-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I think this just adds more fuel to the rumor of Soriano coming here though. Which is another move I expect people to b**** about.
...with good reason. Of all the things the Sox need, Soriano and his Ks, low OBP, terrible defense, all-or-nothing-ness, homer happy-ness, expensive contract and lack of intangibles (intelligence, leadership, etc.) is definitely NOT one of them.

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 03:03 PM
...with good reason. Of all the things the Sox need, Soriano and his Ks, low OBP, terrible defense, all-or-nothing-ness, homer happy-ness, expensive contract and lack of intangibles (intelligence, leadership, etc.) is definitely NOT one of them.
I disagree. Yes he gets K's, but a lot of people have a flaw in Free Agency. Drew is oft injured, Beltran hasn't hit .300 for sometime and has never hit 30 hr's prior to this year I think it was. Beltre had 55 errors in the 3 seasons prior to this year, and hadn't hit .260 up until this past year. Vizquel has only hit .300 once since 1985 including the minor leagues, yet everyone on this board wants those players. Yes Soriano does strike out alot and has bad defense(terrible defense is Everett in the OF). He also is protection for Thomas in the lineup and more RBI's for this Sox team. He also is a disruption for the pitcher by running on the basepaths. I remember when Soriano came up and people were talking about him like they were talking about Beltran. Nothing has changed except he was on the Rangers.

cbrownson13
11-14-2004, 03:14 PM
I'd like to see Uribe at SS and Placido Polonco at 2B.

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't mind that and I've always believe that Placido Polanco was a good MLB player.

hitlesswonder
11-14-2004, 03:19 PM
I disagree. Yes he gets K's, but a lot of people have a flaw in Free Agency.
Since Soriano isn't a free agent, he'll cost the Sox in talent in a trade, plus paying him 7 to 8 million next season (or whatever he's making now). He's had monster seasons in the past, but last year he wasn't any better than Uribe. If the Sox are willing to spend money like that, I think they should sign Polanco (should be cheaper, plus no trade) and play Uribe at short. Polanco isn't the bat Soriano is, but he's a good #2 hitter and has a much better glove .

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Since Soriano isn't a free agent, he'll cost the Sox in talent in a trade, plus paying him 7 to 8 million next season (or whatever he's making now). He's had monster seasons in the past, but last year he wasn't any better than Uribe. If the Sox are willing to spend money like that, I think they should sign Polanco (should be cheaper, plus no trade) and play Uribe at short. Polanco isn't the bat Soriano is, but he's a good #2 hitter and has a much better glove .
I agree with that since I think Polanco is a player who would actually help. If our only option is Soriano, I wouldn't mind at all. It's amazing though how some people think that Vizquel and Beltre are better for this team than a guy like Soriano because they had a better last year(not you, because I get your point that Polanco wouldn't cost us any talent). Beltre and Vizquel haven't been close to Soriano prior to last year, but yet, no one mentions that. Seems like a Double standard, though I doubt there could be one on this Sox board.

SoxxoS
11-14-2004, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't mind that and I've always believe that Placido Polanco was a good MLB player.

Not that it matters...but Polanco was rated the best FA bargain in free agency this year by Rob Neyer.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-14-2004, 03:52 PM
What? And deny Willie Harris his chance at a breakout season? How is Ozzie going to hit and run without our man Willie setting the table at the top of the order?
:wink:

:crede
"Hooray! I get another chance at having a breakout season at third base, too! Is this a great organ-eye-zation or what?"

:ohno
"'Great' wasn't the adjective we had in mind to describe this organ-eye-zation."

CubKilla
11-14-2004, 04:02 PM
KW will go into '05 with Uribe and Valdez at SS, Crede at 3B, and Harris at 2B.

I think it's more realistic to bat around the idea of whether Konerko will be with the White Sox next season rather than who the Sox will/won't sign for SS.

beckett21
11-14-2004, 04:09 PM
They will sign or trade for a middle infielder. Count on that. Depends on where they want Uribe to play is my guess.

I will also echo all of the anti-Guzman sentiments. Unless they sign Renteria, I would rather they move Uribe to SS and get a 2B. Polanco would be fine, Hairston would be better IMO depending upon availability.

SEALgep
11-14-2004, 04:10 PM
KW will go into '05 with Uribe and Valdez at SS, Crede at 3B, and Harris at 2B.

I think it's more realistic to bat around the idea of whether Konerko will be with the White Sox next season rather than who the Sox will/won't sign for SS.Having a guy like Soriano makes more sense if a guy like PK is traded.

GiveMeSox
11-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Well the good news is we have flexibility so we dont necissarily need an SS. Uribe could start at 2b or SS so we can go after one or the other. Vitz Vizquel at SS Uribe would be 2b now Uribe may be the SS with a new 2b. Possibly a cheap todd walker or womack. Maybe even a trade for Harriston jr or possibly i hear belliard could be traded by CLE. That would be just as good as the thought of getting vizquel and i hope it would be cheaper so we could get a reliever too.

jordan23ventura
11-14-2004, 04:12 PM

Womack or Polanco. That's really all we can afford there unless someone decides to chance Larkin. Personally, I wouldn't mind seing Womack or Polanco at all. In fact, I'd be very happy to see that.

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Womack or Polanco. That's really all we can afford there unless someone decides to chance Larkin. Personally, I wouldn't mind seing Womack or Polanco at all. In fact, I'd be very happy to see that.
I doubt that's all we could afford. The payroll I hear can be increased to 75 million. Right now I think it's around 65 million. That mean's 10 million. We could get Renteria for a 4 year deal for about 9 or 10 mil and deferring 2 mil of it each year so we would still have money for either a cheap pitcher or a reliever. I wouldn't mind the Sox going after Polanco, Wright from AtL and signing a reliever.

jordan23ventura
11-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Well the good news is we have flexibility so we dont necissarily need an SS. Uribe could start at 2b or SS so we can go after one or the other. Vitz Vizquel at SS Uribe would be 2b now Uribe may be the SS with a new 2b. Possibly a cheap todd walker or womack. Maybe even a trade for Harriston jr or possibly i hear belliard could be traded by CLE. That would be just as good as the thought of getting vizquel and i hope it would be cheaper so we could get a reliever too.
Why would Cleveland trade that kid? He's a stud. If they did though, I wonder what they would ask?

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Why would Cleveland trade that kid? He's a stud. If they did though, I wonder what they would ask?
Pitching.

jackbrohamer
11-14-2004, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]What? And deny Willie Harris his chance at a breakout season? How is Ozzie going to hit and run without our man Willie setting the table at the top of the order?

You put this in teal but it is one of the most accurate things I've read about the Sox' plan for "success." But hey Willie looks like Ray Durham, so what's the dif between the two?

Daver
11-14-2004, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]What? And deny Willie Harris his chance at a breakout season? How is Ozzie going to hit and run without our man Willie setting the table at the top of the order?

You put this in teal but it is one of the most accurate things I've read about the Sox' plan for "success." But hey Willie looks like Ray Durham, so what's the dif between the two?
Ray could hit.

hitlesswonder
11-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Cleveland is looking at Casey Blake or Phillips at 2B next season. Belliard had one of his better years last season (he's been in MLB for 5 seasosn), and he's had some pretty bad ones in the past. He's around a .270 career hitter with .330ish OBP I think. He looked awesome against the Sox last year, but I don't think he should command too much in a trade.

StillMissOzzie
11-14-2004, 05:30 PM
So much for the Sun-Times report that this is a done deal.

So much for the 2 year, $10M he was gonna get from the Sox.

Not that I blame KW for not wanting to go that 3rd year that SF did, but maybe even Vizquel figured he'd have nothing left in the tank after 2 more years, so the reported $2.25M would just be gravy vs. the Sox offer.

Now who's gonna play SS?

SMO
:dunno:

Jjav829
11-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Now who's gonna play SS?

SMO
:dunno:
Kelly Dransfeldt.

California Sox
11-14-2004, 06:29 PM
I will also echo all of the anti-Guzman sentiments. Unless they sign Renteria, I would rather they move Uribe to SS and get a 2B. Polanco would be fine, Hairston would be better IMO depending upon availability.
Hell, yeah. Could not agree more. Uribe's an above average defender at SS, and he's such a streaky offensive player that I'd rather have him there and get someone (Hairston?) who at least has a chance of being dangerous at 2b.

I could live with Todd Walker, because he's a good hitter, and a good guy in the clubhouse, and we're desperate for a left-handed bat.

Mohoney
11-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Pitching.
Which we don't have to give.

akingamongstmen
11-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Kelly Dransfeldt.
:(:

nitetrain8601
11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
I could live with Todd Walker, because he's a good hitter, and a good guy in the clubhouse, and we're desperate for a left-handed bat.
Couldn't agree more. He still at least hits, isn't horrible defensively and his bat is good unlike Valentin who just swings for the fences.

SomebodyToldMe
11-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Just wondering, why does everyone say that Uribe is a streaky hitter when he's only played one season with the SOX?

Was he an everyday player with the Rockies and if so was he streaky there too? I'd like to see people back up that saying.

It's the same with Paulie. Everyone says that "We're not sure which PK we're gonna get next year". When in reality he had only one terrible year here.

cbrownson13
11-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Not that it matters...but Polanco was rated the best FA bargain in free agency this year by Rob Neyer.
That's probably a little far fetched, but he does a lot of good things. He plays good defense at second AND third, if needed. And is consistent with the bat, could easily bat second.