PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Ranks and Predicts Destinations of Top 50 FA's

WhiteSoxFan84
11-13-2004, 02:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50mlbfreeagents

Notable Mentions;

Only player the White Sox are predicted to sign is # 35 Richard Hidalgo.

Cubs are predicted to sign # 4 Edgar Renteria, # 16 Troy Percival, and # 47 Tony Womack.

# 7 Magglio Ordonez is predicted to sign with the Mets.

# 12 Nomar Garciaparra is predicted to sign with the Angels.

# 17 Matt Clement w/ Tigers.

# 9 Carl Pavano w/ Orioles.

# 1 Carlos Beltran w/ Yankees.

It's OK guys, remember, although the White Sox are only predicted to sign one FA, Randy Johnson is not a FA.

doublem23
11-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Didn't they do this last year and get like... 15% of them right?

WhiteSoxFan84
11-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Didn't they do this last year and get like... 15% of them right?
Was it even that high?

I just posted it for the fun of it. Not thinking that it was an oracle by any means.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-13-2004, 02:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50freeagents

Last years. They didn't get that many right. Plus, ESPN always has something different on TV, the website, the radio, and the magazine. I think someone said in another thread that Gammons predicted Beltran to go to the REAL evil empire, not the one in New York.

santo=dorf
11-13-2004, 02:50 PM
They also have Valentin to the Mariners.

Radke with the D-Rays?

Burnitz with the Expos?

Juan Gonzalez with the A's?

Vizquel with the Red Sox?

Delgado to the Marlins?

They also have the Rangers signing Loaiza, Byrd, and Odalis Perez. Don't pitchers hate pitching in that ballpark?

Despite their financial constraints for this up-coming season, the Braves will bring back J.D. Drew, Jaret Wright, and bring in Kevin Millwood, Armando Benitez, and Bob Wickman??

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

OG4LIFE
11-13-2004, 02:52 PM

Last years. They didn't get that many right. Plus, ESPN always has something different on TV, the website, the radio, and the magazine. I think someone said in another thread that Gammons predicted Beltran to go to the REAL evil empire, not the one in New York.
actually, most of the ones they got right were re-signings everyone knew was going to happen anyway....

santo=dorf
11-13-2004, 02:55 PM

They started off well with the big name guys, but they weren't even close on some on the lesser-known guys on that list(23-50.)

Jjav829
11-13-2004, 02:57 PM

Last years. They didn't get that many right. Plus, ESPN always has something different on TV, the website, the radio, and the magazine. I think someone said in another thread that Gammons predicted Beltran to go to the REAL evil empire, not the one in New York.They got 10 of 50 right. Half of the ones they had right were players re-signing with the team they were previously with. Not exactly great predictions...

RKMeibalane
11-13-2004, 03:39 PM
They got 10 of 50 right. Half of the ones they had right were players re-signing with the team they were previously with. Not exactly great predictions...
I wonder what criteria they use to determine where somone will end up, because that list makes me think that they just throw **** at the wall to see if anything sticks.

Soxzilla
11-13-2004, 08:24 PM
I wonder what criteria they use to determine where somone will end up, because that list makes me think that they just throw **** at the wall to see if anything sticks.
:peeESPN

WinningUgly!
11-13-2004, 08:27 PM
:peeESPN
Nice use of the pee guy.:bandance: I don't see him very often, anymore.

depy48
11-14-2004, 08:25 PM
they were right about Omar Vizquel to the Red Sox

Jjav829
11-18-2004, 12:37 AM
They're off to a terrific start. 0-3.

Percival to the Cubs? Try Tigers.

Vizquel to the Red Sox? Try Giants.

Guzman staying with the Twins? Try Expos.

NonetheLoaiza
11-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Richard Hidalgo:
Prediction: White Sox.
Comment: Streaky player who shined right after being acquired by the Mets in mid-June. Overall numbers were for the most part subpar. Is expected to take a major paycut.

Does anyone else find it funny that the words major paycut are in the comments, and maybe thats why hes predicted to go the White Sox? It is definitely JRs cup of tea.

SOXSINCE'70
11-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Since Troy Percival signed with the Tigers, take this
east coast crap with a grain of salt at best.

Frater Perdurabo
11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Plus, ESPN always has something different on TV, the website, the radio, and the magazine.

That's just the "genius" of ESPN/Disney's marketing machine: Get people going to all of their media outlets, drive up the demographic numbers and charge more for advertising. Who cares even if he gets them all wrong, people still will go to ESPN and "Boston" Gammons for information/propaganda in the future.

wdelaney72
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Beltran is staying with the Astros.

HE WILL NOT BE A YANKEE!