PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Cubs/Dodgers Trade Rumor (SAD!)

WhiteSoxFan84
11-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Earlier this morning as I was going to bed, I heard some talk show host on Sporting News Radio talking about a rumored trade between the Cubs and Dodgers that has been going around lately. I'm think Shawn Green for Sammy Sosa and that is how he started it off. But then he went on to say that 2 more players would be added to the deal. In the end, this is how the deal would look...

Cubs Acquire:
Shawn Green
ERIC GAGNE

Dodgers Acquire:
Sammy Sosa
Kerry Wood OR Carlos Zambrano OR Mark Prior

First of all, why the HELL would the Dodgers trade Gagne? Second, they need hitting not pitching. Third, these dumbass sCrUB rumors are getting out of control. Has anyone else heard the rumor about Sammy Sosa and Derek Lee going to the Cardinals for Albert Pujols?? If you're going to make up a trade, give it some daylight. These things are just DUMB.

Only if the Cubs are dealing with the Marlins or Pirates would I believe every trade rumor I hear. Luis Castillio, Juan Pierre, Juan Encarnacion, Migeul Cabrera, and Josh Beckett for Sammy Sosa, Glendon Rusch, and Todd Hollandsworth, I'll believe it.

RKMeibalane
11-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Earlier this morning as I was going to bed, I heard some talk show host on Sporting News Radio talking about a rumored trade between the Cubs and Dodgers that has been going around lately. I'm think Shawn Green for Sammy Sosa and that is how he started it off. But then he went on to say that 2 more players would be added to the deal. In the end, this is how the deal would look...

Cubs Acquire:
Shawn Green
ERIC GAGNE

Dodgers Acquire:
Sammy Sosa
Kerry Wood OR Carlos Zambrano OR Mark Prior

This is the first I've heard of this particular deal. Rumors about a Sosa-Green swap have been swirling around this board for a few weeks, but I had not heard anything about Eric Gagne being moved. I think this trade may have just been created in the mind of a radio host looking to stir up trouble.

I could see the Cubs trying to move Zambrano at some point, but I don't imagine that they'd be willing to trade either Wood or Prior. Furthermore, the Dodgers had great team chemistry for the first time in several seasons with the 2004 club. Paul DePodesta has hinted at making changes, but I don't think he's going to bring in anyone who would become a disruptive influence in the clubhouse. Sosa, Zambrano, and Prior all have the potential to be that type of influence.

The Los Angeles papers are saying that DePodesta is committed to accquiring players with high OBP. Sosa doesn't fit that profile. Now that I think about it, there aren't that much free-agents availible who do. Los Angeles has also said that they want keep their payroll at around $100 million, so unless they're able to unload some of their big contracts- Green, Darren Dreifort, Todd Hundley- they're not going to be able to commit to a player like Sosa, who will be under contract in 2006.

LAWSfan
11-14-2004, 03:03 AM
This is the first I've heard of this particular deal. Rumors about a Sosa-Green swap have been swirling around this board for a few weeks, but I had not heard anything about Eric Gagne being moved. I think this trade may have just been created in the mind of a radio host looking to stir up trouble.

I could see the Cubs trying to move Zambrano at some point, but I don't imagine that they'd be willing to trade either Wood or Prior. Furthermore, the Dodgers had great team chemistry for the first time in several seasons with the 2004 club. Paul DePodesta has hinted at making changes, but I don't think he's going to bring in anyone who would become a disruptive influence in the clubhouse. Sosa, Zambrano, and Prior all have the potential to be that type of influence.

The Los Angeles papers are saying that DePodesta is committed to accquiring players with high OBP. Sosa doesn't fit that profile. Now that I think about it, there aren't that much free-agents availible who do. Los Angeles has also said that they want keep their payroll at around $100 million, so unless they're able to unload some of their big contracts- Green, Darren Dreifort, Todd Hundley- they're not going to be able to commit to a player like Sosa, who will be under contract in 2006.
One thing about the Dodgers is they have to be creative to keep their payroll at $100 mill. Thus Gagne who deserves a raise will be making $10 mill or so. The Dodgers don't want that. And that stupid moneyball doesn't valve a closer. Stupid. So trading Gagne would allow the Dodgers to free up so payroll.

danjames
11-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Actually, moneyball does value closers, it just doesn't advocate spending, as you mentioned, 10 million dollars on a guy who gets 3-5 outs a game every few days. Closers are all about buy low, sell high. This backfired on Oakland when they believed Arthur Rhodes could close, obviously, but it's not the worst plan in the world.

wdelaney72
11-15-2004, 11:05 AM
LMAO.

Wow, someone wrote this?

southsider17
11-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Actually, moneyball does value closers, it just doesn't advocate spending, as you mentioned, 10 million dollars on a guy who gets 3-5 outs a game every few days. Closers are all about buy low, sell high. This backfired on Oakland when they believed Arthur Rhodes could close, obviously, but it's not the worst plan in the world.

That exactly the Moneyball approach! I'm starting to believe this may have some merit. :o: