PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Reader, First Time Poster...My Lineup Projections

FGarcia34
11-12-2004, 08:18 PM
1B- Ross Gload - Hopefully he can continue his success and become a solid first baseman. (Traded Konerko)

2B-Alfonso Soriano - Our big acquistion this season. He would be amazing at our park. Plus he can steal a ton of bases. This guy would be a great spark plug.

SS-Omar Vizquel - A nice fill in. The deal seems to be all but done here.

3B- Juan Uribe - I like him here. He has a decent bat. An amazing arm and could learn the hot corner really fast. (Trade Crede)

RF- Richard Hidalgo - He is expected to take an enormus pay cut and I think this guys is servicable for a few years until we get a prospect up here. We can also use Carl Everett here.

CF- Aaron Rowand - No change here. Hopefully he continues last seasons success.

RF- Carlos Lee - Again, no change here.

DH- Frank Thomas. Hopefully he stays healthy, if not we can use Carl
Everett.

C - Damien Miller - A nice pick up. Better than anyone else we have.

Pitching Staff- Mark Buerhle, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Matt Clement, Hole (Maybe someone from the minors)

What do you guys think

OurBitchinMinny
11-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I could live with it. Id like to have 5 starters and also the pen needs some work, but its a pretty solid everyday lineup

FightingBillini
11-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard.

As for the lineup, I like Hidalgo, but I say no to Soriano. He is another all or nothing hitter, and he is horrible defensively. Plus, we can use the money we would spend on him to shore up the bullpen.

OurBitchinMinny
11-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Welcome aboard.

As for the lineup, I like Hidalgo, but I say no to Soriano. He is another all or nothing hitter, and he is horrible defensively. Plus, we can use the money we would spend on him to shore up the bullpen.
I kind of agree with you. Let Uribe handle second. Crede has to break out this year and the bullpen definitely needs help. Soriano is a liability defensively, but he would put up solid #'s at comiskey. Im ok with either way as long as willie harris is not in the everyday lineup

Shoeless Joe
11-12-2004, 08:34 PM
I see no reason to get Hidalgo, he's much too brittle and inconsistent. And as far as Soriano goes, I wouldn't mind having him but getting a guy like Tony Womack would be a lot more important to the Sox's line-up. Damian Miller would be a decent pick-up but I get a little antsy with old catchers now.

I just think the Sox should just really focus on getting guys who can consistently get on base and get some decent pitching in their rotation and bullpen. I guess that's easier said than done though.

ma-gaga
11-13-2004, 01:13 AM
I'm shocked. I ran a rough payroll cost, and it came in less than $80MM. It's not a bad lineup, and I assumed Hidalgo there with half 2004's salary, and Miller didn't make a raise. I agree, Hidalgo is kind of goofy looking here. I'd go without him and save the money. Anyways, below is the rough 25 man roster and associated bankroll:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~dunca016/FGarcia34%20-%20Lineup%20-%2001.jpg

LASOXFAN
11-13-2004, 02:57 AM
Crede has to break out this year
I tried to find a tag with monkeys flying out my butt, but none exists. Crede absolutely blows. Get used to it. KW's an idiot. He hung onto Borchard, he'll hang onto Crede.

jordan23ventura
11-13-2004, 03:44 AM
I tried to find a tag with monkeys flying out my butt, but none exists. Crede absolutely blows. Get used to it. KW's an idiot. He hung onto Borchard, he'll hang onto Crede.
Yeah, he's such an idiot.

I'm sure he would have gladly traded Borchard for just about anything, but who is going to take this guy? Surely not Fontaine and the Mariners. Does Olivo/Reed/Morse for a 1/2 season of a pitcher they were going to lose anyway make them seem stupid enough to take Borchard instead? Hell, I doubt even the Expos would have taken him for Everett.

As far as Crede goes, he brings his glove and has power. If he can take some walks and cut down on the K's, his OBP and BA will go up. And if he starts hitting, then I don't think it would be too far fetched to see him put up something like .275/30/80, which is nice to have from a cheap third baseman.

I'm not exactly counting on it, but Gload, Uribe, Rowand, and PK all surprised us this year, so give him a chance. It's not like we have the cash to sign Beltre or Glaus. At least we have some flexibility in that Uribe can play 3rd.

Jabroni
11-13-2004, 04:02 AM
I think our lineup is going to look more like this...

CF - Aaron Rowand (Our only option as leadoff man is still a good one.)

SS - Omar Vizquel (Great leader and I think he still has some gas left in the tank. Will be great at moving Rowand and other runners over because HE CAN ACTUALLY BUNT!!! I can't wait to see him turn some nasty double plays with Uribe.)

DH - Frank Thomas (I hope he can get 100% healthy.)

LF - Carlos Lee (Konerko will be traded instead of Carlos. Carlos will continue to put up good numbers for us in the #4 spot.)

RF - Carl Everett (Isn't going to sit on the bench making $4 million. He needs to get in shape for Spring Training and prove he is worth the money.)

1B - Ross Gload (Konerko will be traded for pitching leaving Gload with the starting job. He will provide great defense and some good contact hitting.)

2B - Juan Uribe (Started out hot, slumped horribly midseason, and finished up strong. Earned the starting job at 2B with his brilliant defense.)

3B - Joe Crede (He will get one last season to prove he's not a bust.)

C - Ben Davis (I think the Sox liked what they saw from Davis. He handled the pitching staff well and came up with some clutch hits. Damien Miller is not much of an improvement here. However, Davis still needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball.)

1.) Mark Buerhle
2.) Freddy Garcia
3.) Javier Vazquez (if the Sox trade Konerko and Garland for Vazquez.)
4.) Jose Contreras
5.) ??? (I just hope it isn't the dreaded 5th starter flavor of the week. :(: I would even welcome back Loaiza over that. :o: )

jordan23ventura
11-13-2004, 04:10 AM
C - Ben Davis (I think the Sox liked what they saw from Davis. He handled the pitching staff well and came up with some clutch hits. Damien Miller is not much of an improvement here. However, Davis still needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball.)

Not even Jesus can hit a curveball.

Jabroni
11-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Not even Jesus can hit a curveball.Then he better learn how to stop swinging at it. :D:

Ol' No. 2
11-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Haven't we already tried "Hole" in the fifth starter spot? Wasn't too successfule IIRC.

rwcescato
11-13-2004, 10:43 AM
I disagree with that. Yes Crede was disappointing this year. But so was Rowand the last few years. I say you have to give him another year.
He has been a solid hitter all the way up to the majors. I would say the patience runs out after this year. Why do we need Hildago for. If you are
going to spend that kind of money for a right fielder I would rather have JD Drew. He is a better hitter.
Rich

fuzzy_patters
11-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Haven't we already tried "Hole" in the fifth starter spot? Wasn't too successfule IIRC.
I agree. We need to find another Tim Belcher. The fifth starter does not have to be good or expensive. He just needs to be consistent and throw some innings. A cheap, free agent veteran is ideal.

FGarcia34
11-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Im sorry, if we trade both Konerko and Garland for Vasquez, all we are getting is a better Garland and losing a huge bat. Garland will go on to become a successful pitcher in the bronx and Koney would have an enormus year with those big bats in the lineup as well as that little ballpark. I dont want to see Vasquez in a sox uniform next season. Even the Twins ripped him apart this past season. Bad News.

hitlesswonder
11-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I disagree with that. Yes Crede was disappointing this year. But so was Rowand the last few years. I say you have to give him another year. He has been a solid hitter all the way up to the majors. I would say the patience runs out after this year. Why do we need Hildago for. If you are
going to spend that kind of money for a right fielder I would rather have JD Drew. He is a better hitter.
Rich

I don't think it's accurate to say Rowand was disappointing before last season. I think people were disappointed the Sox didn't have a better player than Rowand, rather than thinking Rowand wasn't playing to his potential. He wasn't nearly as highly regarded a prospect as Crede (I think most figured corner outfielder, 4th outfielder at best), and his averages before last season were .293, .258., .287. As a 2 time minor league MVP, Crede's been much more disappointing. But I think the Sox might as well see if he can raise his value by playing well next season. I'd rather see that than see them sell low.

I agree that Hidalgo doesn't seem worth the money (although he'd probably put up good power #'s in USCF). He'll be much cheaper than Drew, though.

Jabroni
11-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Im sorry, if we trade both Konerko and Garland for Vasquez, all we are getting is a better Garland and losing a huge bat. Garland will go on to become a successful pitcher in the bronx and Koney would have an enormus year with those big bats in the lineup as well as that little ballpark. I dont want to see Vasquez in a sox uniform next season. Even the Twins ripped him apart this past season. Bad News.I wouldn't mind seeing Konerko get traded for Vazquez straight up but I heard the rumor was Konerko and Garland for Vazquez. Keeping Garland would be ideal if the Yankees would take only Konerko for Vazquez.

1.) Mark Buehrle
2.) Freddy Garcia
3.) Javier Vazquez
4.) Jose Contreras
5.) Jon Garland

This rotation would more than counter the loss of Konerko's bat in the lineup. The only thing in question is the health of Jason Giambi. If he can't play next season or has to retire, the Yankees will need another power-hitting 1st baseman to replace him.

FGarcia34
11-13-2004, 02:53 PM
I just dont want this pitching rotation to turn in to the "Yankee Experiment Gone Wrong." We've already go Contreras who didnt work out in the Bronx, I Dont wanna have 2 pitchers from the Yankees who didnt pan out. I be more willing to say Garland is gonna have a breakout season rather than Crede. We need to have good pitching and a good bullpen, but we also play in a very small stadium. We need our offense to carry our pitching. Face it, our pitchers are going to give up runs at a stadium like the Cell. We need an offense that is gonna score us 5 or 6 runs at home consistently. Sure we need another starter, but we can't get away with a lineup like gload, uribe, vizquel, crede, davis, lee, rowand, thomas and everett. it works for the twins because they built a team around the stadium they had. they have a big outfield so they go good outfielders. we need to have a better offensive team. i think the lineup i put together would be ideal. its solid and affordable. soriano would really be the only defensive liability on that team. and at second base, it would be a risk willing to take because look at the numbers he would put up at the cell. it would be ridiculous. soriano and vizquel at the top of the lineup. maybe uribe batting ninth as a "second leadoff." it could look like this:

Rowand CF
Vizquel SS
Soriano 2B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Hidalgo RF
Gload 1B
Miller C
Uribe 3B

Think of the stolen bases this team would have. Soriano, Uribe and Rowand could each have at least 30. Not to mention Lee and Vizquel doing a good amount of base stealing. I also believe Vizquel would make Soriano a better second basemen. If we had a lineup like this, I seriously believe it would take us to the ALCS.

MHOUSE
11-13-2004, 05:53 PM
SS Vizquel
CF Rowand
DH Frank
LF Lee
1B Gload
2B Uribe
RF Everett
3B Crede
C Davis/Burke

I think Vizquel might come a little overpriced, but he's a huge defensive upgrade and a veteran leader. He'll also help out the OBP and "grinding" at the top of the lineup. I would rather keep Rowand than trade him for RJ. If we're going to trade someone, make it a package of Konerko & Garland for Mulder or Hudson. I think Gload can be a very solid everyday first baseman and he'll produce offensively too. In my opinion, Davis and Burke can handle the catching duties unless you really wanted a veteran catcher like Miller. Davis got hot for a while and Burke hit consistently. Give them a chance. If we decide to give up on Crede then move Uribe to third (where he could be very good) and pick up a cheap defensive 2B (not Harris!). We would have to retool the bench, besides Timo and Valdez, but that can be had for cheap.

Buehrle
Garcia
Mulder/Hudson
Contreras
Free Agent (Byrd, Lidle, Lima, Rusch, Sele)--> Any of them would be well-priced and if not then we're stuck with Diaz/Grilli/Wright or whatever the weekly flavor is.

Marte
Shingo
Politte
Adkins
Cotts/Munoz/Wunsch?

I would want a veteran lefty in the bullpen (Mercker, Hammond, Kline, Myers, Groom) and maybe another veteran set-up guy. (Terry Adams, Cormier, Leskanic, Mendoza, Miceli, Osuna, Shuey, Weathers, Williamson, Yan) The relief pitching on the market doesn't look great unless KW wants a new closer, but there are a lot of guys who could help shore up the 'pen.

FGarcia34
11-13-2004, 06:40 PM
i just dont think that lineup is gonna get it done offensively. gload, uribe, vizquel and crede. in order for vizquel and uribe to do well, we need 3 players in the middle of that lineup to allow them to see pitches. otherwise we can expect similiar results...think of it this way...

1B- Gload - Downgrade from Konerko offensively, about the same defensively
2B- Uribe - No different from last year
SS- Vizquel - Upgrade from Jose offensively and defensively
3B- Crede - We would have to depend on Crede and I dont want that to happen
RF- Everett- Do we really want him out there? He is bench or platoon material
CF- Rowand- Good. Will probably improve
RF- Lee- Will continue to put up numbers
DH- Thomas- I dont see him staying healthy for a full year

So offensively, we are arguably losing our biggest bat in the lineup from last season and replacing it with "hope" that Crede has a big year, Thomas stays healthy and Everett can play right. When instead we can add Soriano and Hidalgo, 2 people who will stay healthy, play decent defensively and put up huge numbers at the Cell. Remember, last year we didn't have a full time second basemen or right fielder, these could solve our problems. I think with that offense, we could depend on a young guy in the rotation. Im sick of platooning. We arent the Minnesota Twins and I dont wanna see this team get turned into the Twins. If that happens, we wont win any sort of championship in my lifetime and Im only 20.

pearso66
11-13-2004, 06:40 PM
i dont understand the obsession with soriano, he is an all or nothing hitter, which someone else mentioned, who can steal a base. he cant field, he'd be better suited as a DH but we already have one of those. I dont even know if i'd want him in the OF

Tekijawa
11-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Here's my line up for next year.

CF A. Rowand
SS J Uribe
LF Carlos Lee
DH F. Thomas
1b Paul Konerko
RF C Everett
3b J Crede
C B. Davis
2b Willie Harris

Rotation
M Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Contreras
Adkins

BP

Wunsch
Cotts
Shingo
Marte

:angry:

Paul Konerko will be our All Star Rep.

mweflen
11-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Tejikawa's "projection" unfortunately looks like the likeliest.

Vizquel didn't want to come here. I'm sure Randy Johnson doesn't want to come here.

So let's say the Sox try to make a big splash in the FA market, just to mollify the masses. Who would it be? Nomar? Renteria? Christian Guzman? Ding ding ding ding....

I think the likely scenario is Guzman at short, everything else standing pat.

Let's go 2006!

kittle42
11-15-2004, 10:51 AM

CF A. Rowand
SS J Uribe
LF Carlos Lee
DH F. Thomas
1b Paul Konerko
RF C Everett
3b J Crede
C B. Davis
2b Willie Harris

Rotation
M Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Contreras
Adkins

BP

Wunsch
Cotts
Shingo
Marte

Let's hear it for realism!

doublem23
11-15-2004, 05:09 PM
I'd love to see Vazquez. Maybe some guys just can't cut it in the Big Apple?

Baby Fisk
11-15-2004, 05:15 PM

CF A. Rowand
SS J Uribe
LF Carlos Lee
DH F. Thomas
1b Paul Konerko
RF C Everett
3b J Crede
C B. Davis
2b Willie Harris

Rotation
M Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Contreras
Adkins

BP

Wunsch
Cotts
Shingo
Marte

:angry:

Paul Konerko will be our All Star Rep.What the hell, jawa?! You had us a team of freakin all-stars top to bottom last week. You pulled a Kenny on us! :(: