PDA

View Full Version : Another rumor per grey haired guy on ESPN

Mots09
11-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Soriano to the Sox

?

ma-gaga
11-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Soriano to the Sox ?Santa Claus work's for ESPN?!?

What does he think, the Sox are made out of money? It would be a fantastic pickup, much better than Vizquel, but whomever has Soriano this year is going to have to PAY him some serious dollars. He made $5.40MM last year, expect that to jump to $7 or $8MM. If the payroll flexibility is there, it's a nice pickup.

HomeFish
11-12-2004, 07:04 PM
There was that Garland for Soriano rumor during the regular season.

I'd be all for it, but because it would dump Garland rather than because of Soriano. But he's not too bad of a hitter.

Huisj
11-12-2004, 07:10 PM
just what we need. sammy jr. playing 2B.

MUsoxfan
11-12-2004, 07:16 PM
I like the power numbers, but I'm concerned about the inability to field consistently. It's like taking Jose Valentin with a slightly better BA, and sliding him over to second. Not much of an improvement IMO

Daver
11-12-2004, 07:24 PM
The Sox can always use an infielder that might as well wear his glove on his head.

beckett21
11-12-2004, 07:27 PM
The Sox can always use an infielder that might as well wear his glove on his head.
He could start a new trend, especially if he wears it sideways!

:redneck

SomebodyToldMe
11-12-2004, 07:28 PM
I heard this on sportscenter as well. I'd like it. Soriano was the only Yank that I cheered for when he was with them. I like the guy. Great power numbers. Although he does strike out a lot. But he's still one of my favorite players.

Mohoney
11-12-2004, 07:53 PM
How about this:

Rangers get Garland + a pitching prospect like Ulacia or Pacheco (or perhaps both)
Yankees get Soriano
White Sox get Vazquez + cash considerations

Everybody wins in this trade.

Texas gets a much-needed starting pitcher, adds a farmhand, gets rid of a guy who is reportedly at odds with the manager, and significant salary relief, perhaps enabling them to make another move.

New York fills their "hole" at 2B (I thought Cairo did a good job, but the Yankees always will go for the bigger name, especially a guy like Soriano that's already popular with the fans and has proven himself in Yankee pinstripes before), and opens a spot in the rotation for a free agent acquisition. If they are as down on Vazquez as people say they are, they can surely chip in enough cash to bring the Sox's payroll commitment to Vazquez down to Garland's level for this year.

We upgrade from Garland to Vazquez WITHOUT increasing payroll (we would end up paying Vazquez the same amount that we would end up paying Garland), still enabling us to sign both a free agent starter and Troy Percival (depending on his asking price). I think that this is worth the cost of a pitching prospect along the lines of Ulacia or Pacheco, since I'm really high on guys like Liotta, Lumsden, and Gonzalez that were drafted this year, and I think that Ulacia and Pacheco will just be sticking around our farm system for the next few years while Liotta, Gonzalez, and Lumsden leapfrog them.

Of course, Texas might want to go directly to New York and ask for a straight-up Soriano for Vazquez deal, but I'm hoping that the Rangers might be enticed by one of our lesser pitching prospects enough to make the move with us. If not, then offer both Ulacia AND Pacheco, and if the Rangers still balk, end it there.

dickallen15
11-12-2004, 08:31 PM
I'd be willing to bet if the White Sox get Soriano, he'll be out in the outfield.

Daver
11-12-2004, 08:36 PM
I'd be willing to bet if the White Sox get Soriano, he'll be out in the outfield.
OK.

The Sox can always use an outfielder that may as well wear his glove on his head.

dickallen15
11-12-2004, 08:38 PM
OK.

The Sox can always use an outfielder that may as well wear his glove on his head.
Most who have played for the Sox the past 30 years fall under this category.

WinningUgly!
11-12-2004, 08:46 PM
"I think if that is the reason that a team gets me, it's going to be a little bit difficult, because I'm not going to give up my position," Soriano said by telephone Thursday. "I'm not going to pass to another position. I'm going to play second base."

Soriano, who was vacationing in Miami with his wife, said he feels so strongly about playing second base that he would prefer giving up baseball or being traded to changing positions. He is a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger Award winner at second base. He probably does not need to worry about a trade at the moment, though.

Linky (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10163257.htm?1c)

Brian26
11-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Most who have played for the Sox the past 30 years fall under this category.
Steve Kemp. :D:

dickallen15
11-12-2004, 09:00 PM
"I think if that is the reason that a team gets me, it's going to be a little bit difficult, because I'm not going to give up my position," Soriano said by telephone Thursday. "I'm not going to pass to another position. I'm going to play second base."

Soriano, who was vacationing in Miami with his wife, said he feels so strongly about playing second base that he would prefer giving up baseball or being traded to changing positions. He is a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger Award winner at second base. He probably does not need to worry about a trade at the moment, though.

Linky (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10163257.htm?1c)

He is a horrible second baseman. He makes Jorge Orta look like a gold glover. He will be moved to the OF by the Rangers or whatever team he winds up with. If not this year, then soon. I really doubt he would walk away from $7-8 million a year for the next ten years because he has to back up 150 feet.

hitlesswonder
11-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I thought that low OBP, bad glove, big power players were something the Sox wanted to get away from. I don't think he's worth the money he'd cost, let alone the players the Sox would have to give up for him.

Last season, just for comparison, BA/OBP/OPS:

Soriano (.280/.324.807)
Juan Uribe (.283/.327.833)

Uribe's glove is a lot better, and he was 7 million dollars cheaper.

Soriano's talented and has had some monster seasons at the plate, but I'll pass on him and stick with Uribe.

nodiggity59
11-12-2004, 10:24 PM
I thought that low OBP, bad glove, big power players were something the Sox wanted to get away from. I don't think he's worth the money he'd cost, let alone the players the Sox would have to give up for him.

Soriano (.280/.324.807)

Soriano's talented and has had some monster seasons at the plate, but I'll pass on him and stick with Uribe.
While I agree with not getting Soriano, it's significant to point out that this season was Soriano's worst in a while and was Uribe's best so far.

johnny_mostil
11-14-2004, 03:08 PM
While I agree with not getting Soriano, it's significant to point out that this season was Soriano's worst in a while and was Uribe's best so far.
It's also significant to point out that Uribe is 24 years old.

broker3d
11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Uribe will definitely be one of our middle infielders. he needs to be. I would be far fetched to see the sox get Soriano. He is much of what we are looking to avoid. a selfish ballplayer who strikes out alot and has no idea of what defense is.

I think the poster who brought up the 3 way trade with Texas and the Yanks is on to something. that makes alot of sense for everyone. I have wanted the Sox to get Vazquez since the day we got Colon. Actually I would have preferred Vazquez.

SoxFanTillDeath
11-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I really hope the Sox trade Garland for Soriano. That way we can have 4th AND 5th starter problems all year. Wow...I'm looking forward to losing every series next year already. Won't that be fun?

Seriously? The Sox cannot afford to trade any pitching for hitting. It must be the other way around.

LAWSfan
11-15-2004, 03:03 PM

Soriano (.280/.324.807)

Ranking a player based on one year isn't fair. What is Soriano's BA/OBP for the last 3 years. I would take Soriano and move him to the OF. He would be a good CF.

hitlesswonder
11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Ranking a player based on one year isn't fair. What is Soriano's BA/OBP for the last 3 years. I would take Soriano and move him to the OF. He would be a good CF.I agree one year doesn't make a trend. I think I even said that Soriano has had some great seasons at the plate (his best season was BA .300, OBP .332 and OPS .879).

So, ignoring last year, he's still going have a low OBP, a bad glove, and cost 8 million dollars plus whatever the Sox have to trade to get him. If the Sox are willing to trade Garland & a prospect and shell out 8 million dollars, I think there are better ways to improve the team. The Sox, I think, want #1 or #2 hitters and I don't think they want to downgrade the defense or pitching staff.

Why do you think Soriano could play a good CF? That's not meant to sound sarcastic, I'm just saying that I have no reason to think he'd do it well and I'm wondering if you know about it than I do (very possible :smile: ). And it's a pretty important defensive position. FWIW, I've read Soriano doesn't want to move from 2nd.