PDA

View Full Version : Worth A Losing Decade?

MrRoboto83
11-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Just a Off the Wall Ponder. If you could have a White Sox World Series Winner next season, but then have to have the next 9 years of 100+ games losts per season, would it be worth it?

Tough question I think:gulp:

Daver
11-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes.

akingamongstmen
11-12-2004, 05:35 PM
No doubt.

ilsox7
11-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Of course!

This may be the first thing that everyone at WSI agrees on. Not difficult at all!

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2004, 05:39 PM
What difference does it make whether we lose 100+ games or 80? Finishing second is like kissing your sister. We've been also-rans for 87 years and now ten years worth of losing is suppose to deter me from wanting one lousy year as world champions? You've got to be kidding me.

Sorry, but this is a really stupid question. I'll die happy if the Sox win just one world championship in my lifetime... not unlike what the '85 Bears did for my football rooting interest.

QueerGirrl
11-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Hell yea! We've waited much, much longer than that.

Rocky Soprano
11-12-2004, 05:41 PM
I also agree. Lets just win next year!

santo=dorf
11-12-2004, 05:57 PM
YES!

:reinsy
"no"

WinningUgly!
11-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Just a Off the Wall Ponder. If you could have a White Sox World Series Winner next season, but then have to have the next 9 years of 100+ games losts per season, would it be worth it?

Yup.

After 9 straight 100+ loss seasons, just imagine how loaded the farm system would be in 2015!:D:

doublem23
11-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Yes.

MrRoboto83
11-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Yup.

After 9 straight 100+ loss seasons, just imagine how loaded the farm system would be in 2015!:D:

How about no farm system of any worth and all you have on the team is a bunch of washed up haz-bins.

I am all for it still, but I'll tell you 9+ years of 100 losses would suck big time.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Roboto:

You can always watch your video tapes of the series title to keep you warm the next nine years.

Yes....in a nanosecond.

Lip

MrRoboto83
11-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Roboto:

You can always watch your video tapes of the series title to keep you warm the next nine years.

Yes....in a nanosecond.

Lip

Ok, how about 9+ losing seasons, then JR sells the team to the McCaskey family and the Flubs win 2 championships afterwards.

I know i'm getting out of hand now

Soxzilla
11-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Ok, how about 9+ losing seasons, then JR sells the team to the McCaskey family and the Flubs win 2 championships afterwards.

I know i'm getting out of hand now
That's still a big 10-4.

Mohoney
11-12-2004, 08:01 PM
No matter how you word this question, the answer would still be yes.

If the Sox are GUARANTEED to win the World Series, but I knew that I would be stricken dead right before the final out was recorded, I would gladly take one for the team. As long as I knew FOR CERTAIN that the final out would be recorded and the flag would be raised.

idseer
11-12-2004, 10:20 PM
hmmmmmm

keep losing .... or win the big one then go back to losing?

hmmmmmm

losing ... or WINNING and losing?

let me ask my cat.

ondafarm
11-12-2004, 11:32 PM
What part of "Yes" don't you understand?:wink:

StillMissOzzie
11-13-2004, 12:42 AM
In a heartbeat!

SMO
:gulp:

ma-gaga
11-13-2004, 12:54 AM
I'll die happy if the Sox win just one world championship in my lifetime... The answer is yes. Once you win it, they can never ever take it away from you. All the crap that you've put up with gets washed away.

Each time I get into one of these types of threads, I come off like a total ass. But as a Twins fan, after that eighth losing season in 2000, a strange sort of hopelessness set in, and it was very depressing. It felt like it would never get better, and that was really tough to take.

A winning season every 4-5 years would be ideal. I mean, look at what that one brief winning season did for KC last year. That franchise had been kicked around for 7 years. They finally had something to cheer about. Same for Detroit. That fanbase doesn't deserve 12 years of miserable baseball. Give them a division title once every 5 years. Give them a chance. That's all the true fan wants.

The ideal situation is for each team in MLB to win their division once every 4-5 years, and the world series once every 30 years. That would be ideal. Unfortunately owners, and money, and a hell of a lot of luck get's in the way.

:gulp:

Nick@Nite
11-13-2004, 10:29 AM

Railsplitter
11-13-2004, 11:12 AM

Mike Ditka became a god-like figure in Chicago for winning only one Super Bowl, so there would be a good deal of happieness for one Series win for the Sox, when you consider how rare Basball championships have been in Chicago.

MrRoboto83
11-13-2004, 11:18 AM
JR just doesn't understand, that if you got a championship the fans would be back, the team would make millions more and it would be a Sox city. Look what winning the WS did for the Angels, I think they have as much intrest as the dodgers have now.

DSpivack
11-13-2004, 03:11 PM
How about a world series win as one of the best teams ever, several playoff upsets in the coming years, and then more than a decade of mediocrity?

Or how about 6 championships in 9 nine years, having the greatest team ever, and then becoming the worst-run franchise in the sport?

How about being previously one of the most storied franchises in the sport and being run into the ground by the cheapest owner in sport, and thus becoming the worst run, most pathetic, oft-forgotten franchise in the sport, and quite possibly of all sport?

Oh, wait, you meant a hypothetical situation.

ewokpelts
11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
JR just doesn't understand, that if you got a championship the fans would be back, the team would make millions more and it would be a Sox city. Look what winning the WS did for the Angels, I think they have as much intrest as the dodgers have now.angels are more popular than the dodgers.....enough to make them think about changing thier name to LOS ANGELES ANGELS
Gene

TDog
11-14-2004, 10:00 PM
So if the White Sox had won the World Series in 1993, nobody here would have had anything to complain about for the last 11 seasons? In 1968, when no one was going to Sox games anymore and everyone was a Cubs fan in my Northwest Indiana neighborhood, it was not only inconceivable, but irrelevant that the Sox had gone to the World Series in 1959.

Winning is only fun while you're doing it. The 200 season was fun, but had the Sox won the World Seriies, 2001 still would have been a drag. If you win and keep contending, as the Angels have, you've got something. If the Sox win and tank, they're not going to stay in fashion.

MrRoboto83
11-14-2004, 10:50 PM
angels are more popular than the dodgers.....enough to make them think about changing thier name to LOS ANGELES ANGELS
Gene
The Angels were 3rd in attendance this year behind the Yankees and right behind the Dodgers.

i also said that they have as much interest as the Dodgers, did not say they had more

JKryl
11-14-2004, 11:35 PM

Sounds like what we have now, without the World Series part. :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

mantis1212
11-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Absolutely- heck, you can have 20 years

Nellie_Fox
11-15-2004, 11:43 AM
By the second year of 100 loss seasons (probably the first, but I'm trying to be generous) you guys would all be in here screaming obscenities about ownership and management. Not one of you would be saying the WS championship made it worthwhile.

Iwritecode
11-15-2004, 01:04 PM
By the second year of 100 loss seasons (probably the first, but I'm trying to be generous) you guys would all be in here screaming obscenities about ownership and management. Not one of you would be saying the WS championship made it worthwhile.

Yea right.

How many years after 1998 were the Bulls STILL selling out their games???

FarWestChicago
11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Yea right.

How many years after 1998 were the Bulls STILL selling out their games???Nellie isn't talking about the general public. He's talking about the Whineoceri who inhabit this site.

Iwritecode
11-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Nellie isn't talking about the general public. He's talking about the Whineoceri who inhabit this site.

Oh, well in that case there would probably be people whining the year they won it...

jake27
11-15-2004, 10:41 PM
i would do it in a second. even if for 20+ years after they had a bunch of 50 yr old sammy sosas at every position, i still would do it.