PDA

View Full Version : Selig enrages Infinity radio

Fenway
11-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Don't expect WSCR to pick up the White Sox anytime soon. Infinity Radio is furious at MLB over the XM Radio deal as local stations must provide their feed and receive no compensation.

Infinity has sent out a memo to stations saying until further notice they are NOT to renew with MLB.

The NFL deal BTW provides something for the local broadcasters.

The Infinity stations in question are some big ones

WTIC - 1080 AM
News/Talk
Hartford (Red Sox)

KDKA - 1020 AM
News/Talk
Pittsburgh (Pirates)

WFAN - 660 AM
Sports
New York (Mets)

WCBS - 880 AM
News
New York (Yankees)

WXYT - 1270 AM
Talk
Detroit (Tigers)

KMOX - 1120 AM
News/Talk
St. Louis (Cards)

WCCO - 830 AM
News/Talk
Minneapolis (Twins)

KRLD - 1080 AM
News
Dallas (Rangers)

Kogs35
11-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Don't expect WSCR to pick up the White Sox anytime soon. Infinity Radio is furious at MLB over the XM Radio deal as local stations must provide their feed and receive no compensation.

Infinity has sent out a memo to stations saying until further notice they are NOT to renew with MLB.

The NFL deal BTW provides something for the local broadcasters.

The Infinity stations in question are some big ones

WTIC - 1080 AM
News/Talk
Hartford (Red Sox)

KDKA - 1020 AM
News/Talk
Pittsburgh (Pirates)

WFAN - 660 AM
Sports
New York (Mets)

WCBS - 880 AM
News
New York (Yankees)

WXYT - 1270 AM
Talk
Detroit (Tigers)

KMOX - 1120 AM
News/Talk
St. Louis (Cards)

WCCO - 830 AM
News/Talk
Minneapolis (Twins)

KRLD - 1080 AM
News
Dallas (Rangers)

yessssssssssssssssss.

Fenway
11-12-2004, 04:04 PM
XM has the right to insert their own ads to the feed and as of now there is no way to blackout the signal like cable does.

These 50,000 watt blowtorches command high fees for their night broadcasts that go 500-1000 miles or more.

Case in point is the Hartford station. The Red Sox never used clear channel WBZ to do games as they wanted to build a network in New England, but 50 years ago let clear channel WTIC pick up the games so Tom Yawkey could hear the games in South Carolina.

The XM deal threatens the entire structure of radio station networks and you may well see a shift to FM for local broadcasts and outside a core city you have to buy XM.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-12-2004, 04:11 PM
The XM deal threatens the entire structure of radio station networks and you may well see a shift to FM for local broadcasts and outside a core city you have to buy XM.
:tool
"Crazy like a fox, aren't I fenway!"

:ohno
"And they're in our pocket one more time."

:reinsy
"Next on the chopping block, Steinbrenner's cable deal."

:ohno
"Why am I sure they'll be reaching into my pocket for even more after that deal, too?

kcsportscaster
11-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Hey Fenway, where did you read this, and is the article available online? Imagine stations such as KMOX without the Cardinals, KDKA, the very first commercial radio station, without the Pirates, etc.? Corporate radio strikes again!!!! I should know, I work for one of the radio corporations that begins with a "C."

Fenway
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
They were taking about it on WBZ Boston last night.

My guess is the local broadcasters will be taken care of.

Look Infinity isn't about to let the Yankees walk to WABC or WOR. The Mets may get stuck back at ESPN1050 ( weaker signal )

Hey Fenway, where did you read this, and is the article available online? Imagine stations such as KMOX without the Cardinals, KDKA, the very first commercial radio station, without the Pirates, etc.? Corporate radio strikes again!!!! I should know, I work for one of the radio corporations that begins with a "C."

Ol' No. 2
11-12-2004, 05:06 PM
They were taking about it on WBZ Boston last night.

My guess is the local broadcasters will be taken care of.

Look Infinity isn't about to let the Yankees walk to WABC or WOR. The Mets may get stuck back at ESPN1050 ( weaker signal )Wouldn't this be pretty analogous to taking the Sox off free TV and moving all their games to pay TV? We all know how well that worked.

Fenway
11-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Wouldn't this be pretty analogous to taking the Sox off free TV and moving all their games to pay TV? We all know how well that worked.
We dealing with Bud Selig here remember????

Daver
11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
"Why am I sure they'll be reaching into my pocket for even more after that deal, too?
This bit of a Tom Petty lyric fits this so well.

And there goes the last DJ
Who plays what he wants to play
And says what he wants to say
Hey, hey, hey
And there goes your freedom of choice
There goes the last human voice
There goes the last DJ
Well some folks say theyíre gonna hang him so high
Because you just canít do what he did
Thereís some things you just canít put in the minds of those kids
As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
How much youíll pay for what you used to get for free
Hey, hey, hey

pudge
11-12-2004, 05:42 PM
The landscape is changing, that's the bottom line. The local broadcasters can cry all the want. Maybe someday everyone will be paying for radio like they do TV, but the benefits will be huge. You'll be able to listen to crystal-clear Sox broadcasts anywhere in the world, as well as any music you can imagine, for $10 a month.

With apologies to the above quoted Tom Petty, "human voices" will always be in need, and the freedom of choice is only going to grow with something like XM Radio.

Ol' No. 2
11-12-2004, 06:13 PM
We dealing with Bud Selig here remember????http://www.jatkoaika.com/albumit/chicago/Wirtz_William_Chicago.jpgFinally, someone taking my advice!

Blueprint1
11-12-2004, 06:17 PM
This bit of a Tom Petty lyric fits this so well.

Hey, hey, hey
There goes the last DJ
Well some folks say theyíre gonna hang him so high
Because you just canít do what he did
Thereís some things you just canít put in the minds of those kids
As we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs want to see
How much youíll pay for what you used to get for free
Hey, hey, hey
UMM RADIO DIED LIKE TEN YEARS AGO

Lip Man 1
11-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Assuming this is true what does that do to the possibility of moving the Sox off ESPN Radio 1000? Are there any other viable options for Uncle Jerry?

If not... that loud sound you hear are the ESPN Radio 1000 executives having the 'last laugh'.

If Grobber and Dave Wills are reading this I'd be interested in hearing your take on things.

Lip

DumpJerry
11-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Ok, I have a question about sat. radio. Maybe Fenway can answer this since he's in the broadcast industry. MLB has a contract with XM. The NFL and Howard Stern are (or will be) with Sirius. To get either XM or Sirius, you have to buy their receiver for your car (I hear you can also get sets for the home, too). So, my question is: How do I get MLB, NFL and Howard in my car? Is it possible to install two different receivers in my car and keep the current AM/FM/CD player in it? Have the geniuses running Sat. radio thought this through?

Just wondering.:?:

pudge
11-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Ok, I have a question about sat. radio. Maybe Fenway can answer this since he's in the broadcast industry. MLB has a contract with XM. The NFL and Howard Stern are (or will be) with Sirius. To get either XM or Sirius, you have to buy their receiver for your car (I hear you can also get sets for the home, too). So, my question is: How do I get MLB, NFL and Howard in my car? Is it possible to install two different receivers in my car and keep the current AM/FM/CD player in it? Have the geniuses running Sat. radio thought this through?

I know of people who own both. I'm not sure of the specifics, but I know XM is coming out with a wireless handheld reciever, which you can use anywhere (car or home, it transmits to an FM frequency wirelessly). So owning two wireless handhelds would be pretty slick if you wanted both XM and Sirius. I could care less about Howard Stern, but it's too bad MLB and NFL aren't on the same package.

JKryl
11-15-2004, 03:42 PM

I have a feeling that this is going the way of VHS vs Beta. Sooner or later, one side will fade away, but until then you'll have to decide what you like most, football or baseball!

JKryl
11-15-2004, 03:44 PM
The landscape is changing, that's the bottom line. The local broadcasters can cry all the want. Maybe someday everyone will be paying for radio like they do TV, but the benefits will be huge. You'll be able to listen to crystal-clear Sox broadcasts anywhere in the world, as well as any music you can imagine, for $10 a month.

With apologies to the above quoted Tom Petty, "human voices" will always be in need, and the freedom of choice is only going to grow with something like XM Radio.
$10 a month? With a monopoly, JR, Boras, the players union, Steinbrenner and Bud involved, it will be $10 for the XM, and another $10 to $20 for the "premium" channels with sports.

jabrch
11-15-2004, 03:51 PM
$10 a month? With a monopoly, JR, Boras, the players union, Steinbrenner and Bud involved, it will be $10 for the XM, and another $10 to $20 for the "premium" channels with sports.

XM already does have "premium packages". Sirius does not - they are a flat fee.

DumpJerry
11-15-2004, 05:23 PM
I have a feeling that this is going the way of VHS vs Beta. Sooner or later, one side will fade away, but until then you'll have to decide what you like most, football or baseball!XM has many, many more subscribers than Sirius. But I think that is due in large part to XM being around longer. With Sirius getting the NFL, they should start catching up. I'm not sure if I agree with the VHS vs. Betamax analogy (VHS is fading fast right now, on life support). I think what we'll see is a receiver that is capable of receiving both networks.

ewokpelts
11-15-2004, 10:49 PM
XM has many, many more subscribers than Sirius. But I think that is due in large part to XM being around longer. With Sirius getting the NFL, they should start catching up. I'm not sure if I agree with the VHS vs. Betamax analogy (VHS is fading fast right now, on life support). I think what we'll see is a receiver that is capable of receiving both networks.yeah...but in the 70's/80's vhs went to war with beta....for the tape market....what's happening to vhs today is simply a upgrade to newer technology...dvd is the NEXT level, not a competing medium
Gene

Viva Magglio
11-16-2004, 12:16 AM
This sucks. Selig is such a moron.

Rocklive99
11-16-2004, 01:07 AM
XM already does have "premium packages". Sirius does not - they are a flat fee.
The only XM Premiums are Playboy and Opie + Anthony. The MLB and sports are included in the flat fee

MUsoxfan
11-16-2004, 03:35 AM
The only XM Premiums are Playboy and Opie + Anthony. The MLB and sports are included in the flat fee

I find it funny that Opie and Anthony can command a premium. I never found them worth being free on WCKG and I love talk radio.

Fenway
12-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Sirius has picked up 2 heavyweights Howard Stern but more important the former CEO of Infinity Radio Mel Karmazin.

In laymans terms the 2 services are like cell phone companies. Verizon and Sprint are on one format, T-Mobile and Cingular on another. Maybe at some point a manufacturer will come out with a unit that gets both but not now.

hosieryofthegods
12-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Stern and the NFL are the only 2 reasons to get Sirius. XM has way more stations. Plus they have espnradio, espnews, sporting news radio, fox sports radio. I checked into both before I bought either. XM is far superior. With that said, I was unhappy when I saw NFL was going to Sirius. :angry: OTOH MLB is on XM.:cool: I was yearning for White Sox baseball while I was on the road. It is going to be glorious.:D:

Nick@Nite
12-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Stern and the NFL are the only 2 reasons to get Sirius. XM has way more stations. Plus they have espnradio, espnews, sporting news radio, fox sports radio.
I have Sirius in my car, and I get espn radio & espn news... along with Sports Byline USA, and the play by play stations for college football & the NFL.

Regarding the rivalry between XM and Sirius, which ever wins the survival of the fittest contest will simply absorb the other in a process that shouldn't effect either customer because the take over will be transparent... a satellite signal is a satellite signal... that's my take.