PDA

View Full Version : How Comcast rates the White Sox

Fenway
11-12-2004, 12:29 PM
In setting up Comcast Sports Net in Chicago, Comcast is working on this blueprint based on ratings from the old FSN.

They rank the teams as follows

1. Bears universal appeal in city

2. Cubs huge following in NW and N suburbs and in lakefront communities. Also fans travel from entire US to see Wrigley.

3. White Sox fanbase solid in SW and W burbs and parts of Indiana. If team can advance in playoffs the Gen X crowd may shift from Cubs.

4. Bulls fans may still go for the glitter at United Center but have no great desire to watch team lose and lose

5 Blackhawks 35 years ago may have been most popular team in Chicago. Refusal to televise home games has lost 2 generations of fans. AHL Wolves show more pulse.

Erik The Red
11-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Sounds pretty spot-on.

southsider17
11-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Interesting. What's your source for this?

Fenway
11-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Interesting. What's your source for this?
I am in town consulting for CSN :smile:

PaulDrake
11-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Very accurate in my view.

Brian26
11-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Fenway once again proves to be a very credible contributor to the site. I agree with Comcast's rankings. Interesting stuff.

BeerHandle
11-12-2004, 02:16 PM
We first have to get back in the playoffs!!!:gulp:

Whitesox029
11-12-2004, 08:34 PM
3. White Sox fanbase solid in SW and W burbs and parts of Indiana. If team can advance in playoffs the Gen X crowd may shift from Cubs.
I don't think it will be quite that easy. It will take multiple championships to really win the city over.

Daver
11-12-2004, 08:38 PM
I don't think it will be quite that easy. It will take multiple championships to really win the city over.
It's been 87 years since there was a baseball champion in this town, it won't take more than one.

jabrch
11-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Just one would be more than enough. Cub bandwaggon jumpers would be in silver and black in no time.

DumpJerry
11-13-2004, 01:30 AM
I am in town consulting for CSN :smile:You should join us for a beer while you're here. We can show you the Urinal, the location of the Red Sox first game in Chicago in many, many years.

jordan23ventura
11-13-2004, 03:20 AM
In setting up Comcast Sports Net in Chicago, Comcast is working on this blueprint based on ratings from the old FSN.

2. Cubs huge following in NW and N suburbs and in lakefront communities. Also fans travel from entire US to see Wrigley.

4. Bulls fans may still go for the glitter at United Center but have no great desire to watch team lose and lose

5 Blackhawks 35 years ago may have been most popular team in Chicago. Refusal to televise home games has lost 2 generations of fans. AHL Wolves show more pulse.

1. People like football
2. Tons of weirdos in the city
3. "If you build it they will come" Go Sox
4. Highschool basketball is losing popularity
5. What is that, hockey?

Railsplitter
11-13-2004, 10:08 AM

One of the most precise assesments of Chicago sports fans I've seen in a long time.

JKryl
11-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Multiple championships? Believe me, one World Series, and you won't be able to get into Comisky for the next 5 to 10 years without a season ticket. Look at what the Super Bowl did for the Bears. Next year will be the 20th anniversary, and we're still talking about it.

JKryl
11-13-2004, 10:52 AM

I agree with the rest of you guys, very accurate assessment.

johnny_mostil
11-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Multiple championships? Believe me, one World Series, and you won't be able to get into Comisky for the next 5 to 10 years without a season ticket. Look at what the Super Bowl did for the Bears. Next year will be the 20th
anniversary, and we're still talking about it.
Two, and the Cubs will have to move.

ewokpelts
11-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Two, and the Cubs will have to move.that shold be in deep pink
Gene

Fenway
11-13-2004, 01:50 PM
You should join us for a beer while you're here. We can show you the Urinal, the location of the Red Sox first game in Chicago in many, many years.A true Red Sox fan knows the truth.

1967 was of course a magic year in Red Sox history but while people in New England remember the final 2 games with the Twins, they forget that what happened a couple of days earlier

Game Played on Wednesday, September 27, 1967 (D) at Fenway Park

CLE A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TCLE01967.htm) 0 4 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 - 6 12 0
BOS A (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/TBOS01967.htm) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 5 0

The Red Sox were dead. With 2 to play they had 70 losses. The White Sox were at 68 and only had Kansas City and Washington left while Detroit had California and Boston and the Twins played each other. Red Sox manager Dick Williams bought 2 six packs and listened to a Chicago station in his car. Little did we know in their last week in Kansas City the A's would come thru.

Oh and for a decade anytime Boston and Chicago played it was a big deal. Our former #27 had something to do with that. :smile:

Hitmen77
11-16-2004, 07:44 AM

:reinsy Hey, I'm working on weakening our fanbase as fast as I can!