PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1000 Hot Stove Talk

Jjav829
11-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that tomorrow night ESPN 1000 will have the first of their Hot Stove shows. Bruce Levine will be joined by Jeff Dickerson. They will talk to some GM's and take calls from 7-10. For those who don't receive ESPN 1000, you can listen online at www.espnradio1000.com (http://www.espnradio1000.com/). Hopefully we'll get some good information from Levine on Sox trades/signings. They might even have KW on, possibly to discuss the Vizquel signing... :dunno:

kittle42
11-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Excellent. I look forward to the series of posts which will go something like "Levine said X." "You can't believe Levineline." "But the guy on whitesox.com concurred." "You can't believe the guy on whitesox.com. Did he talk to KW?" "Yes, actually it looks like he did." "Well KW is deceptive...he wouldn't let other GMs know his true plans."

Brian26
11-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Levine is probably the most credible baseball reporter in the city, so I really enjoy listening to what he has to say. Guys like Offman are generally just making **** up, while Levine usually has some credible sources behind what he says.

SoxFanTillDeath
11-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I like Levine...he usually has good stuff. However, I don't thank anyone in this thread has enough information to judge his sources, since you really have no idea where he gets what.

Just a thought...

gosox41
11-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that tomorrow night ESPN 1000 will have the first of their Hot Stove shows. Bruce Levine will be joined by Jeff Dickerson. They will talk to some GM's and take calls from 7-10. For those who don't receive ESPN 1000, you can listen online at www.espnradio1000.com (http://www.espnradio1000.com/). Hopefully we'll get some good information from Levine on Sox trades/signings. They might even have KW on, possibly to discuss the Vizquel signing... :dunno:
SHouldn't this be called 'The Cubs Hot Stove Show?'

Bob

Brian26
11-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Just a reminder that this is on right now....pretty interesting stuff.

santo=dorf
11-12-2004, 07:50 PM
SHouldn't this be called 'The Cubs Hot Stove Show?'

Bob
It's been mostly Sox talk with a dumbass cub fan calling the Tribune company "cheap." :kukoo:

nodiggity59
11-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Just a reminder that this is on right now....pretty interesting stuff.
Any details for out of state residents?

santo=dorf
11-12-2004, 07:51 PM
http://www.espnradio1000.com/listenlive.asp

Brian26
11-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Off the top of my head....

Levine just said the Sox really want Kendall for the top of the lineup, but the Pirates aren't eating enough of his contract yet.

Levine doesn't think the Sox have any interest in Jeremy Burnitz due to the high K's.

He thinks the Sox may go after Dye.

He thinks the Sox do have a chance to get RJ, but the Sox may have to make a few moves first to show they have a shot at the Series.

Brian26
11-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Levine said Billy Beane has doubts about Hudson's arm, and he'll probably trade Hudson before Zito.

Levine doesnt think the Sox will trade Rowand.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Pretty interesting stuff.Thank god for the online radio! ESPN 1000 doesn't come in out here

Soxzilla
11-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Levine doesnt think the Sox will trade Rowand.
:bandance: This is what I love to hear.

Brian26
11-12-2004, 08:04 PM
:bandance: This is what I love to hear.
Dickerson mentioned that maybe Rowand's value is as high as it will ever be right now. Levine said it would be a bad move just for the fact that there's nobody to replace Rowand. Anderson isn't ready yet.

Soxzilla
11-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Dickerson mentioned that maybe Rowand's value is as high as it will ever be right now. Levine said it would be a bad move just for the fact that there's nobody to replace Rowand. Anderson isn't ready yet.
Nobody knows how high Rowand's ceiling is right now. Dickerson needs to stop talking out of his ass.

I'd take a chance over Rowand for the next few years, than see him go to 'Zona and turn into the next Jim Edmonds.

Brian26
11-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Rick Hahn is on now....this should be good.

Brian26
11-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Actually, it probably wont be very good since Hahn can't talk about specific names.

Flight #24
11-12-2004, 11:31 PM
any more updates for those unable to listen in?

gosox41
11-13-2004, 06:49 PM

Levine just said the Sox really want Kendall for the top of the lineup, but the Pirates aren't eating enough of his contract yet.

Levine doesn't think the Sox have any interest in Jeremy Burnitz due to the high K's.

He thinks the Sox may go after Dye.

He thinks the Sox do have a chance to get RJ, but the Sox may have to make a few moves first to show they have a shot at the Series.FWIW, Dye had 128K's in 2004. Burnitz had 124.

In the course of hteir careers, Burnitz has more. But Dye does had 4 seasons of over 100K's and one in the 90's. Also Dye was hurt for some of last season, preventing him from possible acheiving this.

Bob

johnny_mostil
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
I'd take a chance over Rowand for the next few years, than see him go to 'Zona and turn into the next Jim Edmonds.
Really unlikely. Edmonds draws three times as many walks as Aaron does, and pretty much always has. Rowand, like Lee, still gets himself out too often and that limits his ceiling, and few players significantly change that pattern at Aaron's age.

TheBull19
11-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Really unlikely. Edmonds draws three times as many walks as Aaron does, and pretty much always has. Rowand, like Lee, still gets himself out too often and that limits his ceiling, and few players significantly change that pattern at Aaron's age.At Aaron's ripe old age of 26?

Edmonds, age 26 - 431 AB .304 27 HR 47 BB 101 K .375 OBP .571 SLG
Rowand, age 26 - 487 AB .310 24 HR 30 BB 91 K .361 OBP .544 SLG

Not a huge difference. Edmonds averaged about 140 K's a year the last 5 years, too, so he gets himself out a bit as well.

Jjav829
11-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Just to update this schedule, Levine and __________ will be doing another show tomorrow, and I believe there will be a regular Tuesday night Talking Baseball show with Hot Stove info. I left the second name blank because I'm not sure who will be the other host. ESPNradio1000.com had a page showing Levine and Rooney doing shows on Tuesday and Friday, but I don't see that page anymore. It might be Dickerson will him. I think it will be Rooney though. If you tune in tomorrow you should be able to get more information. Those who can't listen on the radio can listen online. Click on the listen live tab to do so. You might not see the show itself named, but if you click on any local show, it should bring up the current local show airing.

munchman33
11-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Really unlikely. Edmonds draws three times as many walks as Aaron does, and pretty much always has. Rowand, like Lee, still gets himself out too often and that limits his ceiling, and few players significantly change that pattern at Aaron's age.

Edmonds walks a ton because he is lefthanded. Pitchers are significantly more likely to pitch around him.

Jjav829
12-02-2004, 05:27 PM
FYI, Willsy joins Bruce Levine for a special hot stove show tonight at 7:00 on ESPN 1000.

Kogs35
12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
lets see if wilsey lurks tonight

WinningUgly!
12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
FYI, Willsy joins Bruce Levine for a special hot stove show tonight at 7:00 on ESPN 1000.
Gee, I hope they spend plenty of time on the Giambi/steroid story. I haven't heard enough about that one yet. :rolleyes:

Palehose13
12-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Can you post what was said? I got plans at 7. Thanks, Jjav!

GiveMeSox
12-02-2004, 07:24 PM
lets see if wilsey lurks tonight
Oh its so nive to willsy's voice. I got a calming sort of "normalcy" feeling when i heard him on the air.

Kogs35
12-02-2004, 07:28 PM
enough with the steroid talk dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: YAY BASEBALL TALK!!!

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Someone just brought up that Carlos Lee and Brian Anderson for Podsednik and Luis Castillo deal!!!

:chunks

SouthSide_HitMen
12-02-2004, 08:02 PM

Kendall was already traded to the A's.

pearso66
12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Kendall was already traded to the A's.
I thought that too at first, but if you look at the date, it was started at the beginning of November, when Kendall was still a Pirate

Kogs35
12-02-2004, 08:23 PM
hey ozzie if u want to win tell jerry to spend the $$$$$$$

Jabroni
12-02-2004, 08:39 PM
hey ozzie if u want to win tell jerry to spend the $$$$$$$Did they discuss any possible White Sox free agent signings or trades?

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Did they discuss any possible White Sox free agent signings or trades?A little bit, but they really didn't say anything we didn't already know. They think the Cubs are going to offer arbitration to Clement.

Jabroni
12-02-2004, 08:48 PM
A little bit, but they really didn't say anything we didn't already know. They think the Cubs are going to offer arbitration to Clement.I don't see why they wouldn't. The Cubs would get draft pick(s) and another team will surely offer Clement more money than what the salary arbitration will be.

Ol' No. 2
12-02-2004, 08:53 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't. The Cubs would get draft pick(s) and another team will surely offer Clement more money than what the salary arbitration will be.A week ago Clement getting more money than he'd get in arb might have been more questionable, but the way the market is developing, it's pretty much a lock now. Sometimes it pays to bide your time for a while.

Jjav829
12-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Can you post what was said? I got plans at 7. Thanks, Jjav!
I didn't listen to much. I post this stuff so you people can tell me what was said! :D:

Kogs35
12-02-2004, 09:06 PM
worst hot stove show ever. very little hot stove league talk

Mickster
12-02-2004, 09:09 PM
I heard a snippit while driving home where Levine asked Ozzie if the "RJ doesn't want to come to the Sox" was true and Ozzie, while not saying so directly, insinuated that (I am paraphrasing) "It is disappointing that one of the best pitchers in the league doesn't want to play for the Sox..bla bla bla...I loved to play for Chicago...it is the best city...."

So Ozzie really answered Levine's question without really "answering" it.

Mickster
12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Also...Ozzie mentioned that Frank is still in a cast and will most likely not be ready for opening day, possibly much, much longer.....

SouthSide_HitMen
12-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Also...Ozzie mentioned that Frank is still in a cast and will most likely not be ready for opening day, possibly much, much longer.....That is ok - The main thing is that he can stand at the craps table and possibly play 80 - 100 games in 2005 at the physically demanding DH position whitout getting hurt yet again.

Will Jurassic Carl play 100?

If not we have the solid Gload / Borchard combo that will bring us at least a 4th place, if not better, finish in the always challenging AL Central.

SomebodyToldMe
12-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Also...Ozzie mentioned that Frank is still in a cast and will most likely not be ready for opening day, possibly much, much longer.....
Frank needs to hang up the cleats.

I want him to prove me wrong...I'm actually hoping that he proves me wrong. But I think it's what needs to be done. I'm sick of his damn injuries.

Palehose13
12-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Ah...now we see why the rumors for Dye.

Jjav829
12-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Also...Ozzie mentioned that Frank is still in a cast and will most likely not be ready for opening day, possibly much, much longer.....Dan McNeil said on the MJH show that his sources tell him Frank is not responding well to treatment and that he won't be ready for ST and possibly not the beginning of the season. Not good, especially with Konerko or Lee likely headed out of town.

RKMeibalane
12-02-2004, 09:34 PM

I want him to prove me wrong...I'm actually hoping that he proves me wrong. But I think it's what needs to be done. I'm sick of his damn injuries.
You act as though the injuries are his fault. That's not the case. Frank Thomas is still this team's most productive offensive player. The day he decides to retire to not be a good one for the White Sox. He deserves the opportunity to work his way back for next season.

munchman33
12-02-2004, 09:38 PM

That would be true if he wasn't producing between injuries. But when he's healthy, he's still one of the best hitters in the league. So really, you want him to prove that he's above freak injuries. LOL, good luck with that. Nobody's above that.

GiveMeSox
12-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Dan McNeil said on the MJH show that his sources tell him Frank is not responding well to treatment and that he won't be ready for ST and possibly not the beginning of the season. Not good, especially with Konerko or Lee likely headed out of town.
I think this is the reason you are about to see the konerko and lee trade talks die down for awhile. The only way i see us giving one of them up now is if someone makes us an unbeatable offer and are in love with having either konerko or lee. Otherwise therse guys are gonna have to carry the load while frank is out. The opening day lineup is probably going to look just like most of last years, no Frank or Maggs and when the team batting average dipped from .280 to like .262, ouch!!