PDA

View Full Version : Could all this sox trade and FA splash be propoganda?

GiveMeSox
11-11-2004, 05:45 PM
I ask this a question, i am skepticly implying this as wel. But could all this buzz about the sox and KW interested in all these studs like Johnson, Zito, Vazquez, Vizquel, Kendall, etc be all jsut a makreting ploy. An effort to make it appear to everyone the sox are trying to spend and hope to get very competetive for 05. This drawing more interest and possibly season ticket holders, equaling more $$. I only suggest this becuase of the weird things this franchise has done. Like this year selling season tickets earlier than ever before, the changes to ticketing plans, price increases and etc. Somehow it just seems to good to be true and i can never remember the sox being so active so early. If i was betting man i would be betting that history repeats itself and this is all just a farse. However to that I hope im wrong!

HomeFish
11-11-2004, 05:52 PM
The rumors are indeed absurd; I have more faith in my fellow Sox fans than to say we would fall for it, however.

doublem23
11-11-2004, 06:03 PM
I think propoganda is a harsh word. I think they might be trying, just not very hard.

NonetheLoaiza
11-11-2004, 06:14 PM
if it is in fact a marketing ploy, round of applause to brooks boyer. frankly, because of all the talk, i am excited about next season. but even if we get absolutely no one, i am still going to be excited because anything can happen. but i do find it hard to believe that kenny isnt trying to get RJ or vasquez or zito or hudson. kenny will make a big deal this offseason, its just a matter of when and with whom.

doublem23
11-11-2004, 06:30 PM
if it is in fact a marketing ploy, round of applause to brooks boyer. frankly, because of all the talk, i am excited about next season. but even if we get absolutely no one, i am still going to be excited because anything can happen. but i do find it hard to believe that kenny isnt trying to get RJ or vasquez or zito or hudson. kenny will make a big deal this offseason, its just a matter of when and with whom.
I really don't know. All the big talk in November is creating some hype, but think of the letdown if the biggest Sox acquisition this off-season is Omar Vizquel; that's a big letdown. If this is a marketing ploy, it has a real chance to backfire unless the Sox make some noise. I don't know how much power Brooks has over what rumors are leaked from Kenny's office and what not, but you have to think some interoffice memos have been traded, and given Brooks' displayed competence thus far, all the talk makes me believe the Sox will land someone, but who knows?

They better do something.

Jjav829
11-11-2004, 06:34 PM
I really don't know. All the big talk in November is creating some hype, but think of the letdown if the biggest Sox acquisition this off-season is Omar Vizquel; that's a big letdown. If this is a marketing ploy, it has a real chance to backfire unless the Sox make some noise. I don't know how much power Brooks has over what rumors are leaked from Kenny's office and what not, but you have to think some interoffice memos have been traded, and given Brooks' displayed competence thus far, all the talk makes me believe the Sox will land someone, but who knows?

They better do something.
There will be a HUGE backlash if the Sox don't come out of this offseason with a big name pitcher, or hitter. After all these rumors, if this offseason plays out like last offseason, I can't imagine how upset Sox fans (and this site imparticular) will be.

kittle42
11-11-2004, 06:37 PM
There will be a HUGE backlash if the Sox don't come out of this offseason with a big name pitcher, or hitter. After all these rumors, if this offseason plays out like last offseason, I can't imagine how upset Sox fans (and this site imparticular) will be.
That's what I'm saying - what marketing??? This will all just come back and smack them in the face when we are left with a mediocre lineup, a mediocre pitching staff, or both.

Paulwny
11-11-2004, 06:44 PM
After the smoke clears we'll have signed Vizquel and El Duque.

gosox41
11-12-2004, 11:39 AM
I ask this a question, i am skepticly implying this as wel. But could all this buzz about the sox and KW interested in all these studs like Johnson, Zito, Vazquez, Vizquel, Kendall, etc be all jsut a makreting ploy. An effort to make it appear to everyone the sox are trying to spend and hope to get very competetive for 05. This drawing more interest and possibly season ticket holders, equaling more $$. I only suggest this becuase of the weird things this franchise has done. Like this year selling season tickets earlier than ever before, the changes to ticketing plans, price increases and etc. Somehow it just seems to good to be true and i can never remember the sox being so active so early. If i was betting man i would be betting that history repeats itself and this is all just a farse. However to that I hope im wrong!
I don't think so. Plenty of time to by season tickets since there's so many available so people can take a wait and see appraoch.

It's the winter meetings. Every GM should be meeting with every team to discuss what's available. It's easyto see rumors get started if KW meets with Cashman. It's all speculation. Hard to believe Gammons is going to help sell Sox season tickets.

Bob

Dolanski
11-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Since when is we tried, we got nothing, oh well, going to help marketing? The White Sox aren't going to pack them in simply because they tried to get better. The organizations knows that the only way they are going to bring people to the park is to put out a competative team, and of course there are budget constraints, yada yada yada. But in no way shape or form is, we gave it a good try but it didn't work out going to satisfy any fan or make anyone suddenly decide that they should buy Sox tickets.

mike squires
11-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Th same thought crossed my mind but Kenny has known to make some bold gutsy moves over the last few years. Wih Maggs gone and a player or two a trade bait there is no question at least one major player will be added to this ballclub. Hopefully his name isn't Roberto...:angry: :D:

11-15-2004, 10:34 AM
At first I thought you were wrong, but after Vizquel signing with the Giants, you may have something....I hope they prove us wrong

Hangar18
11-15-2004, 10:54 AM
" Could all this ........be propoganda?"

Of course it is .............Of course

wdelaney72
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Hangar, I think Dave Mustaine's lyrics are starting to get to you.

I'd like to think that us fans are a little smarter than to buy into this as a marketing ploy. Most of us will go to our usual number of games, but as far committing more, I think it's safe to say most of will do it AFTER the big names have arrived.

Maybe I'm giving Sox fans too much credit.

Hangar18
11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Since when is we tried, we got nothing, oh well, going to help marketing? The White Sox aren't going to pack them in simply because they tried to get better. The organizations knows that the only way they are going to bring people to the park is to put out a competative team, and of course there are budget constraints, yada yada yada. But in no way shape or form is, we gave it a good try but it didn't work out going to satisfy any fan or make anyone suddenly decide that they should buy Sox tickets.
I Laughed my *** off just now reading this ......... and thinking of the new
SOX Advertisements for 2005 .
Bottom Line, I think Brooks is a LOT Smarter than that, and he wouldnt be
Foolish enough to embark on a "At-Least-We-Tried-come-get-your-Season -Ticket-Packages-Now Campaign". That would work up north, but not
south of madison street. A Marketing Campaign like this would surely
cause a Fan Backlash of biblical proportions ..........

Dan H
11-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Fueling speculation but not acting on it would be a horrible marketing ploy. Too many times in the past we have been told that the team has pursued someone only to find he was too expensive.

They saw the anger at last year's SoxFest. If they sit on their hands again, they'll see more.

Justafan
11-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Dan,

I'm waiting to see the reaction from the fans should Ordonez sign with the Cubs. 2004 Sox fest will see tame compared to 2005.

Foulke You
11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Dan,

I'm waiting to see the reaction from the fans should Ordonez sign with the Cubs. 2004 Sox fest will see tame compared to 2005.
Amen to that. There was pure venom being hurled towards KW and Ozzie at last year's Sox Fest and that was when we lost Bartolo, Everett, and Robbie Alomar. This is Magglio Ordonez, the best and most popular player on the Sox. If they sit on their hands and don't land a big name and let Magglio go for nothing, there might be revolution at the Hyatt this year.:cool:

KW isn't stupid. He remembers the backlash at last year's Sox Fest. I believe he will make a move or two before the convention.

SOXSINCE'70
11-15-2004, 01:12 PM
After the smoke clears we'll have signed Vizquel and El Duque.Sorry.Vizquel's a Giant now.Guess Kenny has a lot in common
with David Terrell.When it counts the most,they'll both
drop the ball.:roflmao: :roflmao:

jabrch
11-15-2004, 01:26 PM
KW isn't stupid. He remembers the backlash at last year's Sox Fest. I believe he will make a move or two before the convention.I hope he is smart enough to not make moves just to avoid confrontations at Sox Fest. That should be the least of his concerns.

jabrch
11-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Sorry.Vizquel's a Giant now.Guess Kenny has a lot in common
KWs fault?

GiveMeSox
11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey dont forget abour Dez "alligator hands" White.

Flight #24
11-15-2004, 02:12 PM
I love it. KW beats out the Giants - "he overpaid". KW doesn't match - "Sox cheaped out/KW dropped the ball". KW goes for a low cost option - "cheaped out again". They sign Renteria/Nomar at the going rate "Idiot overpaid". Trade for Randy Johnson - "How can you trade value for an old guy". Sign/trade for a young pitcher "When will that dope start looking at proven veterans?".

If only KW would trade Wilson Valdez for ARod + cash, this team would be moving forward!!! (Or would that create infield depth problems?):rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
11-15-2004, 02:15 PM
If only KW would trade Wilson Valdez for ARod + cash, this team would be moving forward!!! (Or would that create infield depth problems?):rolleyes:my favourite attack line:

"This trade is terrible! I don't want to mortage our future!" :rolleyes:

hitlesswonder
11-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I love it. KW beats out the Giants - "he overpaid". KW doesn't match - "Sox cheaped out/KW dropped the ball". KW goes for a low cost option - "cheaped out again". They sign Renteria/Nomar at the going rate "Idiot overpaid". Trade for Randy Johnson - "How can you trade value for an old guy". Sign/trade for a young pitcher "When will that dope start looking at proven veterans?".

If only KW would trade Wilson Valdez for ARod + cash, this team would be moving forward!!! (Or would that create infield depth problems?):rolleyes:
As someone who didn't particularly like the idea of signing Vizquel, I'm duty bound to commend Williams for not overpaying (disclaimer: that's "overpaying" in my opinion, which isn't worth much). To beat the Giants would have taken a 3 year, 12 million dollar contract, plus Cleveland apparently would have gotten the Sox 2nd round draft choice. I'm not going argue that that's too much (since that invites arguments about team resources and market values), just that for that investment the Sox could address other holes that I think are bigger problems. I'm glad Williams didn't get in a bidding war. Now I hope he doesn't sign Guzman or Cabrera (especially Cabrera, he's like Guzman with World Series mystique for much more money I would guess).

11-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent! Well said!!

LAWSfan
11-15-2004, 03:12 PM

Great post. I can't believe some of the doom and gloom stuff that is posted on here. I bet all the people who want Borchard traded right now, will say KW is an idiot for trading him, if JB is ever traded and becomes a star. I bet if KW did sign Omar and he helped the Sox to a division title, they would say Yeah I was all for signing Omar. There are also a lot of people with long memories. I almost always see a reference to getting rid of Wells, Fogg, Myette, hell even Foukle!!! Get over it. They are gone and won't be back.

And even this topic. Come on wait until spring training and see what happens. If there isn't any movement then people have the right to complain. Even if the White Sox make a trade I'm sure people will find something wrong. Unreal!!! And I thought Red Sox fans were bitter.

benjamin
11-15-2004, 03:52 PM

While I readily admit that it's always fun to have a conspiracy theory, I really think that these particular examples show nothing more than how incompetent Gallas truly was.

Hangar18
11-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Omar Vizquel will SHINE BRIGHTLY in the much Weaker National League.
He will feast on weak NL Pitching and dumb NL fans will put him on the
NL Allstar team ....... Look for his career to rebound .....