PDA

View Full Version : Why not trade Carlos and Paulie????

gogosox35
11-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Ok i know I will get ripped apart for this for "playing GM" but its the offseason and I'm just having some fun. Granted I understand these teams may not be willing to make these trades:
Konerko/Garland for Johnson adds (9+3-16) 4 million to the payroll.
Carlos/low level minor leaguers for Hudson/Zito/Mulder/Sheets would likely be a salary wash.

Subtract Magglio's 14 and Valentins 5, add Vizquels 3 million and that gives 16 million of flexibility, subtract Johnsons 4 giving 12 million.

Richie Sexson may come as a discount as he was injured most of the year, maybe 8-9 million. Sign Jose Guillen (I know he has problems, but this kid is a stud) for 5 million. Move Guillen to left, Rowand in center, and Gload/Everett in right (I know Ross doesn't have the strongest arms but Guillen and Rowand do which makes up for his lack of arm.)

1. Johnson
2. Hudson/Zito/Sheets
3. Buehrle
4. Garcia
5. Contrearas

1.Rowand-Cf
2.Vizquel-SS
3.Thomas-DH
4.Sexson-1b
5.Guillen-LF
6.Gload/Everett-RF
7.Crede-3b
8.Uribe-2b
9.Burke/Davis-C

I know I don't address the bullpen, but there will be considerably less stress on the pen with a rotation like that.....I know none of this will happen, but this would be one talented team.

Borchard504
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Wishful thinking. But I do see the sox getting either RJ or one of Oakland's big three, hopefully not Zito as he is a fly ball pitcher who will give up truckloads of HRs at the Cell. I see the Omar coming over here, but as for Richie Sexson??? C'MON MAN. He is about the same as Maggs with his injuries, too much of a risk for a Sox team that I see making a push for a world series team in the next 1-3 yrs.

lowesox
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
I think you'd probably have to give up a lot more for Zito, Sheets or Hudson.

lowesox
11-11-2004, 04:01 PM
...too much of a risk for a Sox team that I see making a push for a world series team in the next 1-3 yrs.
Do you really see the sox making a push for the world series in the next 3 years? I'm not asking that sarcastically. I guess, I've lost a lot of faith in this team. Since last offseason, I've been looking at our team as one that is over the hill and needs to rebuild. I guess, I've always thought that Kenny missed his chance to rebuild when he should have, and has since been going out getting more over-the-hill guys out of desparation. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Borchard504
11-11-2004, 04:03 PM
I think you'd probably have to give up a lot more for Zito, Sheets or Hudson.

Yes maybe, but the reward would hopefully be that they could give us more years than RJ. But like most of the other posts on this topic, I agree that we need RJ (difference maker). Also another thing to ponder is that when KW signs pitchers, he usually gives them 3 yr deals or something like that. So here is the question: Who will have more of an impact for the Sox in the next three years?

kittle42
11-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Where's that tag with the drugs in it?

Borchard504
11-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Do you really see the sox making a push for the world series in the next 3 years? I'm not asking that sarcastically. I guess, I've lost a lot of faith in this team. Since last offseason, I've been looking at our team as one that is over the hill and needs to rebuild. I guess, I've always thought that Kenny missed his chance to rebuild when he should have, and has since been going out getting more over-the-hill guys out of desparation. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Well, I hope that they adopt a "win now" attitude. I agree with you, KW has missed several chances to rebuild in the past and has also made some bad decisions about some aging players. Maybe I'm just thinking too positive about our Sox, but I see us a few puzzle pieces away from having a legit shot. With an aging Frank and a possible RJ, I hope that the time is now. Is the glass half full or half empty?

11-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Well, I hope that they adopt a "win now" attitude. I agree with you, KW has missed several chances to rebuild in the past and has also made some bad decisions about some aging players. Maybe I'm just thinking too positive about our Sox, but I see us a few puzzle pieces away from having a legit shot. With an aging Frank and a possible RJ, I hope that the time is now. Is the glass half full or half empty?
If your going to win now, then lets win NOW, throw all your chips in and buy that team...Look at Florida, they bought a one year team in 1997, won the WS, dismantled and won another WS in 2003....LETS DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!