PDA

View Full Version : This morning Score/ George Offman GM Meeting Updates (11/11)

Rocklive99
11-11-2004, 12:33 PM
This morning, while getting ready for school, I turned the radio on, and Offman did his little GM Meeting update.

He said forget about Randy Johnson to the White Sox, because Randy Johnson said he doesn't want to pitch here (North went on to say 'How low are the White Sox that RJ doesn't want to come here' Im not that surprised, didn't he not want to go to Boston before the trading deadline either?).

He also said that expect any trade made to include C. Lee or Paul Konerko, which I was also expecting, but it better be damn worth it.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 12:46 PM
This morning, while getting ready for school, I turned the radio on, and Offman did his little GM Meeting update.

He said forget about Randy Johnson to the White Sox, because Randy Johnson said he doesn't want to pitch here (North went on to say 'How low are the White Sox that RJ doesn't want to come here' Im not that surprised, didn't he not want to go to Boston before the trading deadline either?).

He also said that expect any trade made to include C. Lee or Paul Konerko, which I was also expecting, but it better be damn worth it.And did Offman say how, exactly, he knew RJ didn't want to pitch here? Did he talk to him? We all know the answer to that, right? The stove is just getting warm and I'm already sick and tired of these "experts" trotting out their opinions as if they're facts. Johnson will pitch here if it's the best deal he can get. Period. Would he choose another team if it was entirely up to him? Maybe. Probably. But it's not entirely up to him. The D-backs do have something to say about it, and they're not going to give away one of their big drawing attractions for a bag of practice balls in return. If they can't get a deal that helps them, RJ is going to pitch another season in the desert, and possibly lead MLB again in tough losses. If he doesn't mind that, fine. But if he wants out, he's going to have to be a little flexible and accept that the choice of where is not entirely up to him. And I don't think he's going to be that unhappy in a rotation that includes Garcia, Buehrle and Contreras and with a decent offense behind him. Just my opinion.

Foulke You
11-11-2004, 12:53 PM
And did Offman say how, exactly, he knew RJ didn't want to pitch here? Did he talk to him? We all know the answer to that, right? The stove is just getting warm and I'm already sick and tired of these "experts" trotting out their opinions as if they're facts. Johnson will pitch here if it's the best deal he can get. Period. Would he choose another team if it was entirely up to him? Maybe. Probably. But it's not entirely up to him. The D-backs do have something to say about it, and they're not going to give away one of their big drawing attractions for a bag of practice balls in return. If they can't get a deal that helps them, RJ is going to pitch another season in the desert, and possibly lead MLB again in tough losses. If he doesn't mind that, fine. But if he wants out, he's going to have to be a little flexible and accept that the choice of where is not entirely up to him. And I don't think he's going to be that unhappy in a rotation that includes Garcia, Buehrle and Contreras and with a decent offense behind him. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Nowhere else has it been reported that RJ won't come to the Sox. Notice how Offman doesn't say how he forms this opinion? He just threw it out there as gospel fact. I'll believe that he doesn't want to come to the Sox when I hear it from Kenny Williams, Randy Johnson himself, or his agent. Not a second before.

OEO Magglio
11-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Nowhere else has it been reported that RJ won't come to the Sox. Notice how Offman doesn't say how he forms this opinion? He just threw it out there as gospel fact. I'll believe that he doesn't want to come to the Sox when I hear it from Kenny Williams, Randy Johnson himself, or his agent. Not a second before.
Well, fwiw, another great source-Peter Gammons also said that RJ probably wouldn't accept a trade here. Anyways on Levine's morning update he said kenny is still actively pursuing RJ and that no gm is as ready to trade as KW is. Bruce also said kenny spent some time yesterday talking to Dave Littlefield about the possibility of Jason Kendall coming here and that it would probably take the Pirates to eat half of his salary for that to happen.

santo=dorf
11-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Ofman was also foolish to pencil the Cubs in the 2004 World Series when they traded for Nomar.

He's a stupid Cub-loving moron.

Tekijawa
11-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey Les...

How credible is Offman... or is that question stepping over the line a bit?

Justafan
11-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Gammons also said the Cubs would win the Beltran sweepstakes. Seriously, any of us could go to the meetings and start throwing out all sorts of crap. I'm not saying RJ would come here, in fact, I doubt he would, but don't base it on Offman.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, fwiw, another great source-Peter Gammons also said that RJ probably wouldn't accept a trade here. Anyways on Levine's morning update he said kenny is still actively pursuing RJ and that no gm is as ready to trade as KW is. Bruce also said kenny spent some time yesterday talking to Dave Littlefield about the possibility of Jason Kendall coming here and that it would probably take the Pirates to eat half of his salary for that to happen.This is a crazy time of year. The writers have to write about something, even though they don't know anything. Whether Johnson would agree to come to the Sox is going to depend on a lot of factors. Jason Kendall might be one of them, and I think it's pretty well understood that Pittsburgh is willing to make several meals of Kendall's contract. I would think a strong bullpen would also be a significant selling point. And it's going to depend on the alternatives available. I wouldn't sell Kenny short. He's a bulldog when it comes to deals like this. He just might pull it off. The Tribune would have to put this story all the way up to page 2, right behind more speculation about trading Sammy Sosa.

OEO Magglio
11-11-2004, 01:04 PM
This is a crazy time of year. The writers have to write about something, even though they don't know anything. Whether Johnson would agree to come to the Sox is going to depend on a lot of factors. Jason Kendall might be one of them, and I think it's pretty well understood that Pittsburgh is willing to make several meals of Kendall's contract. I would think a strong bullpen would also be a significant selling point. And it's going to depend on the alternatives available. I wouldn't sell Kenny short. He's a bulldog when it comes to deals like this. He just might pull it off. The Tribune would have to put this story all the way up to page 2, right behind more speculation about trading Sammy Sosa.
I completely agree with you.

Tekijawa
11-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Just keep in mind the Bartolo Colon trade... I'm pretty sure only a handfull of writers at best had him comming here a few years ago.

mdep524
11-11-2004, 01:11 PM
This is a crazy time of year. The writers have to write about something, even though they don't know anything. Whether Johnson would agree to come to the Sox is going to depend on a lot of factors. Jason Kendall might be one of them, and I think it's pretty well understood that Pittsburgh is willing to make several meals of Kendall's contract. I would think a strong bullpen would also be a significant selling point. And it's going to depend on the alternatives available. I wouldn't sell Kenny short. He's a bulldog when it comes to deals like this. He just might pull it off. The Tribune would have to put this story all the way up to page 2, right behind more speculation about trading Sammy Sosa.
Right on, Ol' No. 2. Except the story would probably be on page 3, behind the special William Ligue pull out section. And of course if Carlos Beltran signs with the White Sox tomorrow, the Trib's headline would be: "Cubs Pass on Beltran."

You or I have as much credibility as George Offman or Mike North. Actually, I might say we have MORE credibility, in that we actually follow the Sox closely and have a better understanding of their situation. It's going to be exciting to see how everything plays out- but you can tell KW is anxious to get the ball rolling while other GMs are much more passive.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 01:19 PM
And of course if Carlos Beltran signs with the White Sox tomorrow, the Trib's headline would be: "Cubs Pass on Beltran."LOL!!! Sad, but true.

cornball
11-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Here is a recent article that maybe able to shed some light. Obviously, RJ wants to be on a contending team not a team rebuilding....what is his perception of the Sox? Important question. Second, he wants to get 54 more wins to reach 300. Here is the link.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3153816

DumpJerry
11-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Actually, RJ has virtually 100% say in where he goes because of the no-trade clause in his contract. If I'm RJ, I'd want to play in the AL because my repaired leg won't have to deal with batting or running the bases.

RJ might enjoy working with our other starting pitchers, they have a great mix of youth and talent. Well, Two of them have that mix, Judy and Jose have a mix, not sure of what, however................

If we get RJ, signing quality FA's will become easier.

Iwritecode
11-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Actually, RJ has virtually 100% say in where he goes because of the no-trade clause in his contract.

If he wants to go to team X and they can't put together a trade that the D-backs would accept, he won't be going there...

Nit-picky I know. Sorry... :cool:

eshunn2001
11-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Actually, RJ has virtually 100% say in where he goes because of the no-trade clause in his contract. If I'm RJ, I'd want to play in the AL because my repaired leg won't have to deal with batting or running the bases.

RJ might enjoy working with our other starting pitchers, they have a great mix of youth and talent. Well, Two of them have that mix, Judy and Jose have a mix, not sure of what, however................

If we get RJ, signing quality FA's will become easier.He doesn't have a "must trade clause" though.. so if his choices are Staying in Arizona or Playing for the Sox he prolly would want to play for the Sox if he wants those 300 wins. Arizona isn't going to just give him away to the Yankees or anyone else For nothing. I hope

santo=dorf
11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Here is a recent article that maybe able to shed some light. Obviously, RJ wants to be on a contending team not a team rebuilding....what is his perception of the Sox? Important question. Second, he wants to get 54 more wins to reach 300. Here is the link.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3153816
I was going to mention that about him wanting to pad his stats. I'm sure he would love to pitch against the Tigers, Indians, and Royals 3-4 times each year. He is also 11-0 against the Cubs, so we should make sure he pitches in each series. :cool:

WhiteSoxFan84
11-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Offman is a needledick. I don't know how he got the position he has. RJ might not PREFER to come to the Sox, but he won't stay in Arizona if he can play for the Sox. He needs to move to the AL fast. First of all, the D'backs suck so he needs to leave them fast. Second, he would love to stop batting 2-3 times a game and just pitch. If anything, RJ is saying he doesn't want to come here so that Arizona tries to work something out with New York or St. Louis (where he probably wants to go more than anywhere else). If he turns down a deal to the White Sox and stays in Arizona, he's the dumbest hick I've seen in my life.

MisterB
11-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I believe it was reported at the trade deadline that RJ didn't want to go somewhere where he would be the only difference between the team being playoff caliber or not. Right now, that would have to rule ot the Sox.

SoxxoS
11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
I would listen to otis 10 times over than the Johnny come lately "Score."

mweflen
11-11-2004, 01:57 PM
And I don't think he's going to be that unhappy in a rotation that includes Garcia, Buehrle and Contreras and with a decent offense behind him. Just my opinion.The "decent offense" part is a big IF. Our decent offense of the past few years is falling apart. The wheels are coming off. Jose is gone, with his 25 plus homers. Since Konerko or Lee figure into any trade scenario, there go 100 RBI. Thomas is a big question mark, another 100 RBI potentially down the drain. Ordonez is gone. 100 more RBI. Crede had a big BIG slide in 2004 and is a question mark for 2005.

If I were 42 and wanted to win another world series, would I want to go to a place where the lineup looks like this?

CF Rowand
SS Vizquel
DH Everett/Thomas
LF Lee
RF Perez/Borchard
1B Gload
3B Crede
2B Uribe/Harris
C Burke/Davis

Ummm... I'm going to have to say no. We Sox fans may have hope for such a motley crew, but a 20 year veteran will sniff that plate and send it right back to the kitchen.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 02:14 PM
If he wants to go to team X and they can't put together a trade that the D-backs would accept, he won't be going there...

Nit-picky I know. Sorry... :cool:That was really my point, earlier. The D-backs do have some say in the matter.

Here is a recent article that maybe able to shed some light. Obviously, RJ wants to be on a contending team not a team rebuilding....what is his perception of the Sox? Important question. Second, he wants to get 54 more wins to reach 300.I'm going to say that getting those 54 wins may be his #1 priority, perhaps even higher than post-season potential. If he stays with the D-backs, he'll have to pitch until he's 50 to get those 54 wins. It also might mean he would want an extension to ensure he's going to have the opportunity to pitch long enough to get to 300 wins. I wouldn't have a problem with that provided there was some reasonable protections. He is 41, after all.

wdelaney72
11-11-2004, 02:34 PM
And did Offman say how, exactly, he knew RJ didn't want to pitch here? Did he talk to him? We all know the answer to that, right? The stove is just getting warm and I'm already sick and tired of these "experts" trotting out their opinions as if they're facts. Johnson will pitch here if it's the best deal he can get. Period. Would he choose another team if it was entirely up to him? Maybe. Probably. But it's not entirely up to him. The D-backs do have something to say about it, and they're not going to give away one of their big drawing attractions for a bag of practice balls in return. If they can't get a deal that helps them, RJ is going to pitch another season in the desert, and possibly lead MLB again in tough losses. If he doesn't mind that, fine. But if he wants out, he's going to have to be a little flexible and accept that the choice of where is not entirely up to him. And I don't think he's going to be that unhappy in a rotation that includes Garcia, Buehrle and Contreras and with a decent offense behind him. Just my opinion.
Great post, Ol' No. 2. You are absolutely correct.

I think there's only a handful of teams that would be willing to take on his contract: White Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, and maybe a few others. Do these other teams have the young, underpaid talent that Arizona is going to be demanding?

I think Sox fans arguing for KW to make this happen better start warming up to the idea that it's going to cost us Aaron Rowand. The DBacks want younger, talented players for RJ. Their whole reason for agreeing to deal RJ is to drop salary, not take on overpaid Yankees talent.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I want RJ, but man, losing Rowand would REALLY hurt. He hits for average, plays smart baseball, and is a good glove - all things this team has been short of in the last few years.

wdelaney72
11-11-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't disagree with you, but that lineup and our pitching staff is still a hell of a lot better than the DBacks.

Plus, RJ won't have to bat or run the bases.

It's like Ol' No. 2 stated earlier, it all depends on the other offers that are out there. I don't think the teams he'd like to go to will not have the prospects that the DBacks are going to want in return.

The "decent offense" part is a big IF. Our decent offense of the past few years is falling apart. The wheels are coming off. Jose is gone, with his 25 plus homers. Since Konerko or Lee figure into any trade scenario, there go 100 RBI. Thomas is a big question mark, another 100 RBI potentially down the drain. Ordonez is gone. 100 more RBI. Crede had a big BIG slide in 2004 and is a question mark for 2005.

If I were 42 and wanted to win another world series, would I want to go to a place where the lineup looks like this?

CF Rowand
SS Vizquel
DH Everett/Thomas
LF Lee
RF Perez/Borchard
1B Gload
3B Crede
2B Uribe/Harris
C Burke/Davis

Ummm... I'm going to have to say no. We Sox fans may have hope for such a motley crew, but a 20 year veteran will sniff that plate and send it right back to the kitchen.

mweflen
11-11-2004, 02:46 PM
I think RJ would be more apt to come here if our lineup looked like this:

CF Rowand
SS Vizquel
RF J.D. Drew
1B Konerko
DH Thomas/Everett
LF Perez/Gload
2B Uribe
3B Crede
C Burke/Mike Redmond (FA from Marlins)

Heck, I'd be more apt to come, too. I'd go to more than my normal 30!

Randar68
11-11-2004, 03:58 PM
I think RJ would be more apt to come here if our lineup looked like this:

CF Rowand
SS Vizquel
RF J.D. Drew
1B Konerko
DH Thomas/Everett
LF Perez/Gload
2B Uribe
3B Crede
C Burke/Mike Redmond (FA from Marlins)

Heck, I'd be more apt to come, too. I'd go to more than my normal 30!
If Rowand is leading off and Thomas is batting fifth, we're screwed.

A. Cavatica
11-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Just keep in mind the Bartolo Colon trade... I'm pretty sure only a handfull of writers at best had him comming here a few years ago.
Yeah, but that deal only happened because the Yankees wanted to keep Colon away from Boston. I don't expect any similar wildcard this time around.

Brian26
11-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Ofman was also foolish to pencil the Cubs in the 2004 World Series when they traded for Nomar.

He's a stupid Cub-loving moron.
Yep, I'll never forget the day I was sitting here at my desk listening to that go down. I've never heard a guy have an orgasm on the air until Offman announced the Nomar deal. "This is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. You can pencil the Cubs in as THE FAVORITE to go to the World Series now. Rejoice!" F Offman.

Brian26
11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but that deal only happened because the Yankees wanted to keep Colon away from Boston. I don't expect any similar wildcard this time around.
Not counting the Yankees, Carmines or us, there are 27 other teams in the league. Give KW his just due. He made it happen for us and got Colon here, even for just a year. Any other team could have put a package together, but KW had the fortitude to stick with it and make the deal happen. He beat out 27 other teams.

Brian26
11-11-2004, 10:12 PM
If Rowand is leading off and Thomas is batting fifth, we're screwed.
Rowand keeps surprising me, but I'm with you. I think he's a better #2 or #7 hitter than leadoff guy.