PDA

View Full Version : Study Results

BBaum21
11-11-2004, 08:38 AM
For those interested, here are the figures I'm going to be using for my ethics paper.

Tribune Story Counts for May 2004
Cubs:
Stories: 139 (Game stories, notebooks)
Columns: 23

Sox:
Stories: 98
Columns: 9

Also, I'd like to get a Sox fan's perspective on this whole issue and the big conflict of interest the Tribune operates in spite of. If anyone's interested, shoot me an e-mail at baumga31@msu.edu

Blake

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 09:22 AM
For those interested, here are the figures I'm going to be using for my ethics paper.

Tribune Story Counts for May 2004
Cubs:
Stories: 139 (Game stories, notebooks)
Columns: 23

Sox:
Stories: 98
Columns: 9

Also, I'd like to get a Sox fan's perspective on this whole issue and the big conflict of interest the Tribune operates in spite of. If anyone's interested, shoot me an e-mail at baumga31@msu.edu

BlakeYou might also include the daily "Mark Prior Watch" for the first two months of the season, and the utter lack of interest in Thomas' and Ordonez' injuries. You might also mention the coverage over Labor Day weekend, where the Cubs not playing (getting rained out by the hurricane) took half the front page of the sports section, while the Sox sweeping Seattle was no where to be found. In fact, the Sox pretty much ceased to exist for the Trib after about mid-August.

Tekijawa
11-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Anyone have hangars phone number? I'm guessing he might be good for a "fun" quote or two in your paper!

BBaum21
11-11-2004, 11:14 AM
You might also include the daily "Mark Prior Watch" for the first two months of the season, and the utter lack of interest in Thomas' and Ordonez' injuries. You might also mention the coverage over Labor Day weekend, where the Cubs not playing (getting rained out by the hurricane) took half the front page of the sports section, while the Sox sweeping Seattle was no where to be found. In fact, the Sox pretty much ceased to exist for the Trib after about mid-August.
I counted the "Prior Watch" as a story each day. I'm going to mention that for sure, along with the monthly, "100 wins watch."

In addition to the number of stories, I also looked at layout. Cubs were center of sports section front page nearly every day with a huge picture. Sox were usually found at the top, right side or bottom of the front page with sometimes a picture and sometimes not.

I had to pick a time period where both teams were still in it, hence May. By September, the Sox were struggling a little bit and we fell off the pace. I see what you're saying, though.

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I counted the "Prior Watch" as a story each day. I'm going to mention that for sure, along with the monthly, "100 wins watch."

In addition to the number of stories, I also looked at layout. Cubs were center of sports section front page nearly every day with a huge picture. Sox were usually found at the top, right side or bottom of the front page with sometimes a picture and sometimes not.

I had to pick a time period where both teams were still in it, hence May. By September, the Sox were struggling a little bit and we fell off the pace. I see what you're saying, though.Except in previous years when the Cubs were out of it and the Sox were still in the race, the situation wasn't reversed. You'd have to go back a couple of years, and that's probably broadening the scope more than you want, but it's certainly as good an evidence of bias as there is.

voodoochile
11-11-2004, 11:35 AM

I had to pick a time period where both teams were still in it, hence May. By September, the Sox were struggling a little bit and we fell off the pace. I see what you're saying, though.
Do a search for threads started by Hangar18. His media bias threads from last off season are a solid bit of research in and of it's own right. No one was in or out of it back then, so it should provide a nice additional bit of information for your paper.

When done, I am sure people would love to read it here, in fact, it might even get published on the site if you are interested, contact PHG by clicking on his user name and sending him an e-mail.

Jjav829
11-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Anyone have hangars phone number? I'm guessing he might be good for a "fun" quote or two in your paper!
Hangar doesn't have a phone. You just think about talking to him, and he appears. :D:

Mickster
11-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Hangar doesn't have a phone. You just think about talking to him, and he appears. :D:
Sounds familiar.....

http://bedrock.deadsquid.com/img/other/people/gazoo/gazoo_words2.jpg

ChiSoxRowand
11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
I am going to do a persuasive speech for speech class on the media bias. Put in there that there are more murders around wrigley than the cell and the autograph session where mark prior left early or whatever.

cbrownson13
11-11-2004, 10:30 PM
I am going to do a persuasive speech for speech class on the media bias. Put in there that there are more murders around wrigley than the cell and the autograph session where mark prior left early or whatever.
Just curious on what exactly you are going to persuade your audience to do.

jabrch
11-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Just curious on what exactly you are going to persuade your audience to do.

Read the Daily Southtown?