PDA

View Full Version : Brook Fordyce and Todd Ritchie are FA's

Brian26
11-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Ritchie is a joke, of course. But- Is Fordyce done? Any worth in brining him back to the Sox?

RichFitztightly
11-10-2004, 11:53 PM
But- Is Fordyce done? Any worth in brining him back to the Sox?
No not really. Unless the the Sox want to stockpile mediocre catchers, which I'm not in a position to say they don't want to.

Brian26
11-10-2004, 11:54 PM
No not really. Unless the the Sox want to stockpile mediocre catchers, which I'm not in a position to say they don't want to.
I figured since Dan Wilson and Damian Miller's names were being tossed about, I'd bring up Fordyce too.

RichFitztightly
11-11-2004, 12:07 AM
I figured since Dan Wilson and Damian Miller's names were being tossed about, I'd bring up Fordyce too.
You have a valid point. None of the catchers available are world beaters. I'm of the belief that if they're not going to get a "difference maker" then they might as well stay with what they got as long as there's no problems... er problems other than their mediocrity.

HomeFish
11-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Herbert Perry's contract with Texas is up.

Even at his age, he could play better than Crede, but perhaps a coaching position would be more appropriate.

kittle42
11-11-2004, 10:47 AM
This reminds me of the "why not bring back Robin Ventura" threads. Why? Because the fact that they are former Sox doesn't make them younger or less crappy options.

munchman33
11-11-2004, 10:54 AM
You have a valid point. None of the catchers available are world beaters. I'm of the belief that if they're not going to get a "difference maker" then they might as well stay with what they got as long as there's no problems... er problems other than their mediocrity.
Jason Varitek is available.

MeanFish
11-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Don't shortchange Miller or Matheny as far as available catchers go. Either one of those two could mean very good things for our pitching staff. Both know how to call a good game, and both are extremely difficult to run on. That makes our pitching and our defense that much better. It could *really* help our younger pitchers.

RichFitztightly
11-11-2004, 01:12 PM
You're right, he's technically available. However, after watching many seasons of Sox baseball, I've come to the conclusion that there are many free agents that will never be completely available to the Sox... most of my reasoning for that are self imposed handicaps.

Unfortunately, Varitek falls in that category of unavailable free agents.

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2004, 01:16 PM
I'd rather have either of the Jasons (Kendall or Varitek,both pipedreams)
or a reliable veteran like Damian Miller.I'll take a chance on the ex-sCrUB
curse.:D:

Tekijawa
11-11-2004, 01:17 PM
From the sounds of it so is Piazza