PDA

View Full Version : Instant replay on GM's agenda

Paulwny
11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
From Newsday/AP
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-gm-meetings,0,5049051.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

samram
11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
I'm neutral on the instant replay thing (I can live with a bad call if the umps confer on a tough call), but the possibility of trading first-round picks is interesting. Obviously, a first-round pick in baseball is far more speculative than a first round pick in football or basketball, but it could be a great tool for a team in a pennant race which doesn't have a lot of attractive prospects to trade. I don't know how much support the idea has, but it's intriguing.

Kogs35
11-10-2004, 08:56 PM
im for replay in baseball for homeruns being fair or foul, and what would happen if there are managers challege. would we have " the white sox are challenging the ruling on the field that it's a foul ball we will review the play." "after reviewing the play the ruling on the field is that the ball indeed go fair. by rule it is a home run for joe crede." "the white sox are not charged with an out in the top of the 8th." or will there be a replay adviser ala the big ten?

mdep524
11-10-2004, 09:16 PM
im for replay in baseball for homeruns being fair or foul, and what would happen if there are managers challege. would we have " the white sox are challenging the ruling on the field that it's a foul ball we will review the play." "after reviewing the play the ruling on the field is that the ball indeed go fair. by rule it is a home run for joe crede." "the white sox are not charged with an out in the top of the 8th." or will there be a replay adviser ala the big ten?
I don't think it should be up to the managers at all. I think there should be an official sitting up in the press box watching the game with access to all video replays available. If a fair/foul call is clearly wrong, the official simply signals to the umpires on the field to reverse the call. That simple. (Balls/strikes and out/safe call could not be overturned.)

MUsoxfan
11-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm against the whole thing. For every awful call there is against the Sox, there's always a call that goes our way that's equally as awful. Umps are getting better about conferring on calls (ALCS) and that's doing the right thing as far as I'm concerned

soxwon
11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Instant replay!!!

Upon further review ... baseball GMs split on instant replayBy BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer
November 11, 2004

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP) -- Upon further review, baseball will hold off on taking a look at instant replay. After watching umpires reverse almost every missed call in the postseason, major league general managers split 15-15 Thursday on whether to keep exploring the subject. ``Based on that vote, it's unlikely we'll do anything substantive in the next year to pursue instant replay,'' MLB executive vice president Sandy Alderson said.

Do you think instant replay, would be good for baseball?

Soxzilla
11-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Depends on how it's used. I wouldn't mind it for foul ball home runs, as those are pretty clear to decide upon review.

But if they have any inkling on arguing balls and strikes, hell no. Which I HIGHLY doubt they would ever even think of donig.:cool:

ondafarm
11-12-2004, 09:30 AM
I'd prefer they did the ball and strike thing with Questec anyways. The umpiring has been perfectly lousy for the last 20 years. They "the boys in blue" seem to go out of their way to jerk around certain players, Frank Thomas being tops among them. Now with Questec we can see just how unfair the umpires have been.

As for instant replay, I think for catches and close plays (ball beats runner) it would be good.

voodoochile
11-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I'd prefer they did the ball and strike thing with Questec anyways. The umpiring has been perfectly lousy for the last 20 years. They "the boys in blue" seem to go out of their way to jerk around certain players, Frank Thomas being tops among them. Now with Questec we can see just how unfair the umpires have been.

As for instant replay, I think for catches and close plays (ball beats runner) it would be good.
Only for third outs, otherwise everything else has to be figured out also. What do you do with the guy who scored from third without tagging on a ball ruled a trap that was actually caught?

HR, third outs that's about it.

NonetheLoaiza
11-12-2004, 11:21 AM
no way for instant replay. i think it just kind of cheapens the game. like was said above, for every call that goes against the sox, there is a call that goes for the sox. instant replay would just make the game longer, the opposite of what mlb has been trying to do the past couple of years.