PDA

View Full Version : Piazza Switching Coasts?

RKMeibalane
11-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Dodgers May Bring Back Piazza (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-bbmeet10nov10,1,6640967.story?coll=la-headlines-sports)

Although I do applaud Paul DePodesta's efforts to improve the quality of his ballclub, dealing Shawn Green for Mike Piazza isn't going to make the Dodgers better. In essence, the Dodgers would be giving up a player who appears to be returning to form after battling shoulder problems the past two seasons for an individual whose best days are clearly behind him. Los Angeles is extremely thin at the catching position, but there's no guarantee that Piazza would be able to catch full time.

If you ask me, Los Angeles would be better off focusing on signing Jason Varitek, who has apparently asked for more money than the Red Sox can afford, and possibly Troy Glaus, who would provide a suitable replacement for Adrian Beltre if he opts to sign with another team. Granted, there are questions about Glaus' health, as well, but the risks of bringing him in are much smaller than those associated with trading for Piazza.

samram
11-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Agreed. I don't know where DePodesta's desire to trade Green came from (at least, for the guys that have been mentioned), but Piazza just isn't worth it at this point. He's not good defensively, and they won't play him at first with Choi and Loney waiting for a chance. Varitek would be a great addition, not only for his talent, but he would replace some of the leadership they lost when LoDuca was traded. Glaus would also be a decent pick-up, and I wouldn't completely discount the chance of their trying to bring in Nomar to play third (unless the Yanks are going to overpay him to play second).

RKMeibalane
11-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Agreed. I don't know where DePodesta's desire to trade Green came from (at least, for the guys that have been mentioned), but Piazza just isn't worth it at this point. He's not good defensively, and they won't play him at first with Choi and Loney waiting for a chance. Varitek would be a great addition, not only for his talent, but he would replace some of the leadership they lost when LoDuca was traded. Glaus would also be a decent pick-up, and I wouldn't completely discount the chance of their trying to bring in Nomar to play third (unless the Yanks are going to overpay him to play second). It is my understanding that DePodesta is going to give Choi an opportunity to become the starter at first base in 2005. That might be a reason why he is trying to find a taker for Green, but then again, there's no reason why the Dodgers couldn't move Green back to the outfield, especially if they decide not to bring Steve Finley back. There is some question about the availibility of Jayson Werth for next season, and so, trading Green makes no sense, no matter the angle from which one chooses to analyze this situation.

Another issue to consider is that the Dodgers may be looking to trade Green in order to avoid losing him for nothing after next season. However, Green has said several times over the past week that he wants to remain with the Dodgers for the rest of his career. It stands to reason that he would be willing to re-sign for less money once 2005 is over.

Even if Choi turns out to be a bust, James Loney is rapidly ascending through the Dodgers' system. Most scouts seem to think that thirty to forty home runs is out of the question for Loney, but he is an excellent contact hitter, who would probably benefit from playing in the spacious dimensions of Dodger Stadium. Add to that the fact that he's only twenty, and it appears as though Los Angeles has a future star at the 1B position.

LAWSfan
11-11-2004, 01:16 AM
The new ownership hasn't made may friends with long time Dodger fans. They have changed many things and since Dodger fans are slow to accept change they hate the new ownership. Bringing back Piazza, a huge fan favorite would go a long way to bringing back fans and making some unhappy fans, happy again.

The trade makes little sense BUT Piazza was never thrilled about moving to 1st and the trade would allow him to be a catcher.