PDA

View Full Version : Schilling's ankle: WARNING--SEMI-GROSS PIC

Fenway
11-10-2004, 01:56 PM
The Boston Dirt Dog site at boston.com just published what Schillings ankle looked like before Game2 of the World Series. It hurts to LOOK at it.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/CS_ank_bdd_11.7.04.JPG

MUsoxfan
11-10-2004, 02:09 PM
He'd better be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I know I'm gonna get nailed for saying that, but numbers aren't everything. Pitchers don't need to win 300 games anymore

jshanahanjr
11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
He may be a tool, but he's one hell of a pitcher.

MUsoxfan
11-10-2004, 06:10 PM
He may be a tool, but he's one hell of a pitcher.

I don't think he's a tool at all. He's my favorite player of all time for what he does on the field, and what he says off the field.

RKMeibalane
11-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm glad that photos were taken of his ankle. Maybe that will make the Yankee ass-kissers and the conspiracy theorists ****.

DrCrawdad
11-10-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm glad that photos were taken of his ankle. Maybe that will make the Yankee ass-kissers and the conspiracy theorists ****.

Yeah, but do you really know for sure that this ankle is attached to Curt Schilling?

I_Liked_Manuel
11-10-2004, 07:31 PM
there's no way that cut bleeds through the sock. no way at all.

MUsoxfan
11-10-2004, 09:58 PM
there's no way that cut bleeds through the sock. no way at all.

Was that supposed to be in teal?

Fenway
11-10-2004, 10:11 PM
I don't think he's a tool at all. He's my favorite player of all time for what he does on the field, and what he says off the field.Great interview with Curt on Monday

http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/CurtSchilling--11-08-04.wma

and it makes this reporter in Baltimore look silly

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.vecsey25oct25,0,4149490.column

Jabroni
11-12-2004, 07:24 AM
there's no way that cut bleeds through the sock. no way at all.You do know that his stitches and the wound split open while he was pitching right? Hence, the bleeding through his sock...

voodoochile
11-12-2004, 09:38 AM
This was experimental surgery that used the skin itself to do the work of the damaged tendon. The skin was basically stiched to the muscle to hold things together, so yeah, it could have bled through.

The doctor who thought of it will probably win some kind of prize it is an amazing medical feat and Shilling ain't so bad as a patient either for giving it a go and making it work. Stunning stuff. Goes to show how little we know about what our bodies are capable of.

Fenway
11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
The doctor who masterminded this is William Morgan, MD, chairman of orthopedics at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center Boston.

http://www.semc.org/home/default.asp

This was experimental surgery that used the skin itself to do the work of the damaged tendon. The skin was basically stiched to the muscle to hold things together, so yeah, it could have bled through.

The doctor who thought of it will probably win some kind of prize it is an amazing medical feat and Shilling ain't so bad as a patient either for giving it a go and making it work. Stunning stuff. Goes to show how little we know about what our bodies are capable of.

beckett21
11-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Just thought I would give my $0.02.

This was a pretty hot-button topic amongst my colleagues on a listserv I subscribe to. The plus side is obvious. Truth be told, it is something I don't think I ever would have thought of, and an example of really thinking outside the box.

The flip side, to play devil's advocate, is that it sets a bad precedent for young athletes. This procedure has no practical use in a daily setting, and would probably be considered malpractice to be quite honest. If someone were to perform this type of procedure on say a high school athlete, and that patient were to develop an infection, it could have very serious ramifications. It really has no place in the practice of day-to-day medicine, as far as I am concerned. The last thing doctors today need is more overbearing parents with high school children who think their son or daughter is the next Curt Schilling. Some of these parents and kids are bad enough already, without getting more crazy ideas in their heads.

Given the stakes involved, I have no problem with what Dr. Morgan did and I applaud him for his creativity. I am sure he got a nice WS bonus himself. This may lead to a different way of thinking in the professional sports arena, but again I cannot see something like this ever being performed on the average person. There is just no reason to do it that I can concieve of outside of what we just witnessed.

All that said, my personal opinion is that it was sheer genius on the doctor's part, and a lot of guts on Schilling's part. Kudos to both of them. I sure wish I had thought of it! :cool:

Ozzie the Clown
11-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Does a minute ever pass where Schilling doesn't have himself in front of a camera? Just wondering.

MUsoxfan
11-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Does a minute ever pass where Schilling doesn't have himself in front of a camera? Just wondering.
You think he got a little too much TV time while on the mound during the playoffs? Otherwise, that came way out of leftfield