PDA

View Full Version : 10/11 AFL Report

Vsahajpal
10-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Not much to report today, Tim Hummel started and played SS and leadoff for Mesa.

In his 1st AB, he worked the count full before rifling a ball down the left field line for a double; he would later score on a Hee Seop Choi sac fly.

In his 2nd AB, with runners at 1st and 2nd and 2 out, Hummel again worked the count full before drilling a grounder ticketed to LF. The 3b made a spectacular diving stop and gunned Hummel down.

In his 3rd AB, he popped out to the 2b.

In his 4th and final AB, Hummel drilled a linedrive that was caught by the SS.

The ball really jumps off his bat; he's got good bat speed, great pitch recognition, and a nice level swing. IMO, he's more suited for the 2-hole, not leadoff.

Defensively, he looked fine at SS; really ranges well to his right, good strong arm. He also goes well back on the ball, twice covering large ground in shallow left and easily catching them both.

Joe Borchard looked awesome in centerfield. He's a natural at going back and coming in on balls, despite the fact that he's been playing CF for just 6 months now.

At the plate, Borchard is running into hard luck.

His first AB saw him drill the 2nd pitch he saw up the middle, only to have the SS range to his left and barely get Borchard at 1b.

His 2nd AB was even more disbelieving. Borchard lined a grounder that was heading to the ally in left field, but once again the 3b made a diving backhand stop and got Borchard by less than a step.

In his 3rd AB, Borchard got under a fastball and launched a light tower popup to the 1b. As he ran down the line, he threw his bat in disgust and dropped a few "F bombs," in sheer frustration. Kinda reminded me of Tiger after he sprays a few drives. Borchard is clearly one of the top prospects at the AFL, but hasn't quite gotten on track yet.

In his 4th and final AB, Borchard hit the ball hard again on the ground, and it just ate up Dodger 2b Joe Thurston. He reached on an error to finish 0-4.

I left after Joe's last AB in the bottom of the 8th, Mesa trailing by a run. Kyle Kane might've come on in the 9th, but as I left early, I'm not sure.

Randar68
10-12-2001, 10:52 AM
The ball really jumps off his bat; he's got good bat speed, great pitch recognition, and a nice level swing. IMO, he's more suited for the 2-hole, not leadoff.

Thanks for the report V. This is essentially my perspective as well. He has some pop, but isn't exactly a speedster and he won't beat out many infield hits. However, he is a very developed gap hitter with occassional HR power. His level swing and good discipline helps him prevent popping up, but at times, that level swing costs him HR's because he just hits them on a line.

I'm still not comfortable with him at SS, but it's good to hear that he is playing well there in his chances, it will benefit him because he will get more AB's playing 2 positions.

Joe Borchard looked awesome in centerfield. He's a natural at going back and coming in on balls, despite the fact that he's been playing CF for just 6 months now.

Well, this is essentially what I've been telling people on this board for months. People who have never seen him play and only look at boxscores insist he won't be able to handle it, and won't take any other observations. You don't know how many times people who have never seen him play tell me, "He can't handle CF", or "He's not quick enough for CF", or "He'll never produce in CF"...blablabla. These are the same people that want Roger Cedeno's 10+ errors ranging CF for the Sox, great......bla!

Just from looking at the boxscores, it seems Borchard isn't doing much, but this is how I look at it. If he is not striking out much, he's running into hard luck, as you observed. When he hits the ball, he hits it hard, so they'll start dropping for him, hopefully soon.

Thanks again, good report. Talk to any scouts out there yesterday??? BTW, I thought you lived in Ann Arbor, not Arizona....

Vsahajpal
10-12-2001, 02:30 PM
Borchard's definitely not getting any bounces going his way, but it's quite clear to see the talent.

I go to school at UM, but I didn't have classes on Monday or Friday this week, so it was the best opportunity for me to come out here. My parents have a home out here, which is clutch. I leave on Saturday after the Mesa doubleheader.

There aren't many scouts actually; I talked to a regional scout for the Red Sox, and also the scouting director for the Anaheim Angels, and of course Ed Lynch. Last Saturday they were at Scottsdale to check out Nic Jackson, who's been fabulous so far.

I can relay any question you may want to ask them though.

stefaninsane
10-12-2001, 04:19 PM
I know Valenzuela had a good year, although he did have a relatively low OBP. How is he considered as a prospect?

stefaninsane
10-12-2001, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah, I thought the Sox were going to send Mitch Wylie to the AFL as well. Did Kyle Kane take his place? And how does he grade out as a potential major leaguer? He went 15-4, 46-123 K/BB ratio in Birmingham.

Randar68
10-12-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I can relay any question you may want to ask them though.

If you could ask about percieved (trade) value around the league for players like Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand, and Kip Wells...

Thanks

Vsahajpal
10-12-2001, 08:47 PM
no problem, I'll do my best.

I asked the Boston scout for a brief scouting report on Seung Song, and he said, "who?"

I laughed in disbelief and left.

Hopefully I have better luck.

Randar68
10-12-2001, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
no problem, I'll do my best.

I asked the Boston scout for a brief scouting report on Seung Song, and he said, "who?"

I laughed in disbelief and left.

Hopefully I have better luck.

Now that is freaking hillarious!!!! That organization is screwed!!!! I have never heard such incompetence(from a team not named the Cubs, or a GM initialed KW)!!!