PDA

View Full Version : Sox Sighting ........

Hangar18
11-10-2004, 09:28 AM
I had to run out to the DMV out in Lombard IL yesterday afternoon.
I just happened to be paying when some of the people were talking about
the White Sox and Lance Johnson. Someone was wondering about his
nickname, and I replied ONE DOG. Everyone started looking at this
high end SUV pulling out of the parking lot. Sure enough, it was him.
I just missed saying hello to him.

Funny, everyone started talking about the SOX then .....
and most notable, was HOW this team isnt going to SPEND THE MONEY
and were going to be just an OK team again this year.
Heh heh, where Have I heard that before?

ewokpelts
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I just happened to be paying when some of the people were talking about
the White Sox and Lance Johnson. Someone was wondering about his
nickname, and I replied ONE DOG. Everyone started looking at this
high end SUV pulling out of the parking lot. Sure enough, it was him.
I just missed saying hello to him.

Funny, everyone started talking about the SOX then .....
and most notable, was HOW this team isnt going to SPEND THE MONEY
and were going to be just an OK team again this year.
Heh heh, where Have I heard that before?was the dmv lady wearing a tinfoil hat?
Gene

Jess1210
11-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Good ol' One Dog...the first MLB player autograph I ever got was his, after a game at the old park when I was 9 years old. I pressed myself against the fence at the players' parking lot and he signed my scorecard. From that point on he was was one my favorites. I was wondering if he stuck around the Chicago area. Good memories...
:smile:

StillMissOzzie
11-10-2004, 03:48 PM

You were in my neck of the woods, Hangar! I had no idea One Dog lived anywhere nearby. I thought he was a Cinci guy.

SMO
:gulp:

steff
11-10-2004, 06:39 PM
You were in my neck of the woods, Hangar! I had no idea One Dog lived anywhere nearby. I thought he was a Cinci guy.

SMO
:gulp:

We see him at the Clubhouse in Oakbrook all the time.

ilsox7
11-10-2004, 06:41 PM
Great restaurant...along with Braxton's and Papadeaux and several others in Oak Brook. :D:

Ok, back to One Dog reminiscing...

Lip Man 1
11-10-2004, 07:53 PM
One Dog was the best leadoff hitter the Sox had since back in the days of Aparicio and Landis. Plus I remember how he saved Alvarez's no hitter in Baltimore with a late inning sliding catch in right center in August 1991.

He also had six hits in a game at Minnesota tying the Sox record for a nine inning game and THREE of those hits were triples. I think that happened in September 1995.

Wish the Sox had him leading off right now. The man hit triples like crazy, could steal a base, bunt and was a very good defensive outfielder. In short he's everything the Sox need right now.

Lip

mike squires
11-10-2004, 08:01 PM
And we hired Raines as our fisrt base coach?!?:o:

soxwon
11-10-2004, 08:01 PM
from 1990- 2001 i worked for an adio-video distributer in the western burbs.
we handled independent audio.
anyways lance johnson had a record label called"one dog records" what else!!!
mainly soul and early rap music on his label.
anyways he came into our plant twice, i meet him in the office and started chatting Sox baseball with him.
when he was about to go to lunch with some big shots in our company, he asked the owner if I could go with, since he enjoyed our sox chat.
so off we went to lunch, Lance was very cool, a real nice guy.
im sure his label went under by now though.

we used to distribute the wwf wrestling videos, and the wwf rep was hillbilly jim, he used to come in all the time.
another nice guy.

mike squires
11-10-2004, 08:11 PM
from 1990- 2001 i worked for an adio-video distributer in the western burbs.
we handled independent audio.
anyways lance johnson had a record label called"one dog records" what else!!!
mainly soul and early rap music on his label.
anyways he came into our plant twice, i meet him in the office and started chatting Sox baseball with him.
when he was about to go to lunch with some big shots in our company, he asked the owner if I could go with, since he enjoyed our sox chat.
so off we went to lunch, Lance was very cool, a real nice guy.
im sure his label went under by now though.

we used to distribute the wwf wrestling videos, and the wwf rep was hillbilly jim, he used to come in all the time.
another nice guy.
And maybe Hillbilly could be our bench coach!!! I don't want to turn this into a wrestling thread but anyone see Ricky Steamboat and sports period last night??? I thought the interview could have been much better. Dusty Rhoads big mouth was all over the place.

Brian26
11-10-2004, 09:40 PM
And maybe Hillbilly could be our bench coach!!! I don't want to turn this into a wrestling thread but anyone see Ricky Steamboat and sports period last night??? I thought the interview could have been much better. Dusty Rhoads big mouth was all over the place.
Steamboat's been doing some stuff with the Ring of Honor promotion out of Philadelphia. Today's wrestling blows though. The business has been raped by overexposure over the past 6 years.

Brian26
11-10-2004, 09:42 PM
You ever hang out at The Living Room or Boogie Nights? They've got a lot of my money in Lombard.

I_Liked_Manuel
11-11-2004, 12:50 AM
i'll never forget how the one dog swung at ball 4 of an intentional walk to try to keep his hitting streak alive

pinwheels3530
11-11-2004, 02:54 AM
How come he never gets invited to Sox fest if he stays in the Chicago area?

LAWSfan
11-11-2004, 04:30 AM
How come he never gets invited to Sox fest if he stays in the Chicago area?
Sometimes for whatever reason the club will not invite certain players to team functions. But I don't remember Lance leaving on bad terms. Maybe Lance gets invited but doesn't want to go?

mrwag
11-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Don't get me started on those early 90's teams - I might break down and cry.:whiner: What could have been...

mike squires
11-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Steamboat's been doing some stuff with the Ring of Honor promotion out of Philadelphia. Today's wrestling blows though. The business has been raped by overexposure over the past 6 years.
Agreed. I don't even think about watching it now. I was a freak about it back in jr. high/ high school though. I used to load up on Suzi q's and other junk food for Saturday Nigh's Main Event. (Best show ever) I have this tape when I was 13 or so with me playing with those wrestling dolls. I was being Vince Mcmahon and Jesse Ventura as commentators and I had the Wresting alblum so I would use that for ring entrence music and would even have Pipers Pit. I had them all...Corporal Kirchner, Hilbilly Haku, Lou Albano, Freddi Blassi and of course all the regulars. I think I had 40 some...I was pathetic. I used to spend my lawn mowing money on the magazines and stuff. Looking back...what a waste!

petekat
11-11-2004, 09:09 AM
i saw jorge orta eating pudding at the golf mill food court once. he was chillin while buddie Ralph Garr was trying to find parking. good times, good times

ewokpelts
11-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Sometimes for whatever reason the club will not invite certain players to team functions. But I don't remember Lance leaving on bad terms. Maybe Lance gets invited but doesn't want to go?mebbe the money's not right...
Gene

Brian26
11-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I had them all...Corporal Kirchner, Hilbilly Haku, Lou Albano, Freddi Blassi and of course all the regulars. I think I had 40 some...I was pathetic. I used to spend my lawn mowing money on the magazines and stuff. Looking back...what a waste!
Not a waste at all. You were a kid, you worked hard, and you bought some stuff you liked and had good times with it. What the hell is wrong with that? Are 13-year old kids supposed to save ever penny for their retirement fund? If you weren't buying wrestling dolls, it would have been spent on candy or something else. It's all good.

Soxzilla
11-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Agreed. I don't even think about watching it now. I was a freak about it back in jr. high/ high school though. I used to load up on Suzi q's and other junk food for Saturday Nigh's Main Event. (Best show ever) I have this tape when I was 13 or so with me playing with those wrestling dolls. I was being Vince Mcmahon and Jesse Ventura as commentators and I had the Wresting alblum so I would use that for ring entrence music and would even have Pipers Pit. I had them all...Corporal Kirchner, Hilbilly Haku, Lou Albano, Freddi Blassi and of course all the regulars. I think I had 40 some...I was pathetic. I used to spend my lawn mowing money on the magazines and stuff. Looking back...what a waste!
Dude don't even worry about it, I was in the same boat.

Though the OLD Big Boss Man was my fav ... his entrance music was the best!

"YOU'LL BE SERVING HAAAHHHDDD TIMMEEE!!!!"

:bandance:

And to stay on topic ... the one dog was the bomb, no doubt about it. Maybe we should hire him as a bunting coah ... since Walker obviously doesn't believe in it.:rolleyes:

TheBull19
11-15-2004, 03:54 PM
One Dog was the best leadoff hitter the Sox had since back in the days of Aparicio and Landis.
LipThat's funny, the way I remember it, Raines was the lead-off hitter during the time Johnson was with the sox, and One-Dog normally hit 7th or 8th in the lineup.

Tekijawa
11-15-2004, 03:56 PM
mebbe the money's not right...
Gene
Leon can't cook without that dough!

Hangar18
11-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Don't get me started on those early 90's teams - I might break down and cry.:whiner: What could have been...
If the SOX had been more aggressive, we had the makings for a nice little
run ..............Window of Opportunity opened ........ and slammed shut

Lip Man 1
11-15-2004, 05:40 PM
That is true but One Dog also had his share of hitting in the #1 spot.

Lip