PDA

View Full Version : Mexican League team releases Borchard

Parrothead
11-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Unfortunately the Sox did not, yet.

Joe Borchard was released by Mazatlan of the Mexican league, affter hitting below the "Mendoza line". Here is the link to the release.....
baseballguru.com/archives/entries/00001087.htm

Borchard as of 11/7/04
Ave. .140
AB 50
Runs 6
Hits 7
2b 1
HRs 2
RBI 4
BB 2
SO 21
SB 0
SLG .280
OBP .189
E 2

santo=dorf
11-09-2004, 10:52 PM
:LTP

"Bummer Dude!"

What an embarrassment to Sox organization. :angry:

nodiggity59
11-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately it was not by the Sox.

Here is the link to the release.....
baseballguru.com/archives/entries/00001087.htm

Borchard as of 11/7/04
Ave. .140
AB 50
Runs 6
Hits 7
2b 1
HRs 2
RBI 4
BB 2
SO 21
SB 0
SLG .280
OBP .189
E 2
Oh man you SOB. You had me going. It just underscores how pitifull the Borchard fiasco has become.

nodiggity59
11-09-2004, 10:54 PM
21Ks in 50ABs OMG!

MRKARNO
11-09-2004, 11:01 PM
What does that say that Borchard can't even not stay on the team in the Mexican Pacific League, but we're still letting him play on the MAJOR LEAGUE level? I'm not quite sure.

Parrothead
11-09-2004, 11:03 PM
What does that say that Borchard can't even not stay on the team in the Mexican Pacific League, but we're still letting him play on the MAJOR LEAGUE level? I'm not quite sure.
But when he hits the ball, it goes far.......

SoxxoS
11-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Hes got Light Tower Power. So did Andre the Giant if he ever played baseball.

He went from Uber Prospect compared to Adam Dunn

to

To Mazatlan taco shop worker Adam Done.

DrCrawdad
11-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Unfortunately the Sox did not, yet.

Joe Borchard was released by Mazatlan of the Mexican league, affter hitting below the "Mendoza line".

That's downright embarassing, shameful and sad. I don't doubt Joe's effort, but he just doesn't seem to have what it takes.

No doubt the Sox thought that Borchard would be ready to take over Magglio's job in '05. This has to be quite tough for the Sox, primarily KW. Whomever scouted and recommended Borchard might be on the hotseat right about now, if they're still with the Sox.

DMarte708
11-10-2004, 12:19 AM
How much longer until Williams swalllows his pride and releases Borchard?

I'm sorry; Borchard's value has plummeted and he appears to show absolutely ZERO signs of improvement. From the stats listed above, there's not one statistic which proves his worth to this organization.

No more selling Sox fans to his tremendous power or "potential" Williams. Now is the time to release this bum and save our team the horror of watching him prowl RF. I hope no one argues "50 Ab's is a small sample size," because you add this to his stinct with the Sox and a reasonable conclusion can be drawn: Borchard is a bust.

Parrothead
11-10-2004, 12:20 AM
That's downright embarassing, shameful and sad. I don't doubt Joe's effort, but he just doesn't seem to have what it takes.

No doubt the Sox thought that Borchard would be ready to take over Magglio's job in '05. This has to be quite tough for the Sox, primarily KW. Whomever scouted and recommended Borchard might be on the hotseat right about now, if they're still with the Sox.
JB should maybe try football. The bears could use a QB.

That scout better be on the hot seat right now......I wish KW could have given up JB instead of J. Reed. I am not sure he will be any good but I bet he will be better then JB. If JB gets invited to spring training there is definitely something wrong with this organization.

akingamongstmen
11-10-2004, 12:26 AM
At this point, you kinda have to feel for Joe. He seems like a good guy that tries hard. It just looks like he doesn't have what it takes to play pro ball. For the record, I have always been a supporter of him, so its not fun to admit this.

DMarte708
11-10-2004, 12:26 AM
That scout better be on the hot seat right now......I wish KW could have given up JB instead of J. Reed. I am not sure he will be any good but I bet he will be better then JB. If JB gets invited to spring training there is definitely something wrong with this organization.I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Williams believed our upcoming outfield prospects (including Borchard) made Reed expendable. Obviously he was getting the wrong advice because Joe is owned by major league pitchers, and Sweeney/Anderson are not on the fringe of a callup.

Besides, Seattle was not interested in Borchard.

Parrothead
11-10-2004, 12:30 AM
I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Williams believed our upcoming outfield prospects (including Borchard) made Reed expendable. Obviously he was getting the wrong advice because Joe is owned by major league pitchers, and Sweeney/Anderson are not on the fringe of a callup.

Besides, Seattle was not interested in Borchard.I know Seattle was not interest in JB. I was hoping that KW could convince Seattle that he was good. Hopefully, Sweeney/Anderson will fare better.

akingamongstmen, I feel for ya. I never liked JB but I know there are people who did. But what do I know, I liked Lyle Mouton, although looking back he was better than JB.

DrCrawdad
11-10-2004, 12:44 AM
It's clear now that KW held on to Borchard way too long, hoping that he'd be the man to step in when Magglio left.

Wasn't Jeff Abbott a guy the Sox prized over Magglio? Abbott is out of baseball and all the Sox got for him was Julio Ramirez.

Now Magglio will be gone, with the Sox getting absolutely nothing in return, and the Sox are stuck with a virtually worthless player in Borchard. Meanwhile on the other side of town their GM traded away to purportedly jewels in Choi and Hill for All-Star caliber players. They traded away Choi and Hill while their value was high and before others saw that they weren't all that they'd been hyped to be. Meanwhile KW has held onto Borchard and now the guys likely a flop who'll they will either release or trade for a nobody.

KW, you need listen to Kenny Roger's song, The Gambler.

DSpivack
11-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Borchard yet another 'can't miss prospect' who can't help but miss the curveball?

minastirith67
11-10-2004, 01:53 AM
At this point, you kinda have to feel for Joe. He seems like a good guy that tries hard. It jus looks like he doesn't have what it takes to play pro ball. For the record, I have always been a supporter of him, so its not fun to admit this.
Feel bad? For 5 million bucks or whatever it was, I sure am not going to feel bad for him. Start producing or pack your bags...

I think the Sox have given him too long anyway.

idseer
11-10-2004, 03:25 AM
hey, he's only 25. i wouldn't be surprised if he DID quit and try to salvage a career in football yet. that's our best hope cause i think it'll take another year for kw to realize (admit) he's crap.
this is one of my 'i told you so's. for almost 2 years i've been saying that borchard can't hit. i've been comparing him to dave nicholson all along and i'm thinking THAT was too lofty a comparison.
more much needed money down the tube.

LAWSfan
11-10-2004, 04:08 AM
It takes some players a longer to produce. JB has been played four full seasons of pro ball and you're ready to give up on him? Hmmmm I wonder if he is traded/released what people will say if he becomes a star. The kid is only 25-26 and you want to give up on him? Carlos Guillen ring a bell to anybody? Mariners gave up on him, he was 27-28 when the M's traded him to the Tigers.

Who cares about a Mexican League. The best thing for JB is to take a break from baseball. Don't pick up a bat, just keep in shape and get in the right frame of mind.

idseer
11-10-2004, 05:38 AM
It takes some players a longer to produce. JB has been played four full seasons of pro ball and you're ready to give up on him? Hmmmm I wonder if he is traded/released what people will say if he becomes a star. The kid is only 25-26 and you want to give up on him? Carlos Guillen ring a bell to anybody? Mariners gave up on him, he was 27-28 when the M's traded him to the Tigers.

Who cares about a Mexican League. The best thing for JB is to take a break from baseball. Don't pick up a bat, just keep in shape and get in the right frame of mind.
everyone can find examples like yours. there comes a time you need to use common sense and put certain things behind you. you can't just wait for the miracle.
he's no longer a kid and he's had too much opportunity as it is. he shows NO signs of plate discipline and has not only not shown improvement ... he's gone in the reverse direction.
if he's tradable at ALL ... TRADE HIM! otherwise just let him go. release him. make room for somebody who can actually PLAY.

JRIG
11-10-2004, 07:29 AM

Carlos Guillen was a serviceable ML shortstop with a decent batting line and good plate discipline playing in one of the best pitcher's parks in baseball. Borachard can't hit worth a damn in Coors East.

gosox41
11-10-2004, 07:53 AM
:LTP

"Bummer Dude!"

What an embarrassment to Sox organization. :angry:
So who is left to carry Joe B's jock strap?

Bob

steff
11-10-2004, 07:55 AM

Bob

Is Joe even qualified to wear a jock strap..?

gosox41
11-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Is Joe even qualified to wear a jock strap..?
ROFLMA. Good point.

Bob

PavanoBeltran'05
11-10-2004, 08:10 AM
I wish I had a photograph to post of a lame horse being shot in a pasture.

Watch Borch take his money, run, and try to get into the NFL, ala Drew Henson.
Borchard is the exact type of guy that moneyball laughs at. All brawn, no brains. He couldn't adjust the temperature in his nice big house that his signing bonus bought him.

davenicholson
11-10-2004, 08:12 AM
i've been comparing him to dave nicholson all along and i'm thinking THAT was too lofty a comparison.

http://www.csac.biz/nicholson146.jpg

Ya darn right!

duke of dorwood
11-10-2004, 08:20 AM

:KW

Unless it was me

santo=dorf
11-10-2004, 08:26 AM

Bob
There has been word that the Tigers will probably non-tender Alex Sanchez. His OBP isn't that good because he doesn't have any plate disciplined, but he was on a record pace for bunt singles, and can tear up the base paths.

DrCrawdad
11-10-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm very frustrated by Borchard bottoming out. I just don't think I've heard or seen anything that makes me question his work ethic, attitude or desire. I don't believe Joe's flopping because of a lack of desire or a lack of effort. He's just not able to hit the ball.

mweflen
11-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Do the Sox even have pants left to be caught down with?

Hangar18
11-10-2004, 10:04 AM
At this point, you kinda have to feel for Joe. He seems like a good guy that tries hard. It jus looks like he doesn't have what it takes to play pro ball. For the record, I have always been a supporter of him, so its not fun to admit this.
Yeah, he is a nice guy, this is too bad for him.
you know this guy is Extremely Angry right now ............

:reinsy " Hes right"

mweflen
11-10-2004, 10:10 AM
With his 5.3mil bonus, he can invest wisely and live comfortably without lifting a finger for the rest of his life.

Boo hoo.

Meanwhile, I'm at work.

Mickster
11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Meanwhile, I'm at work.....
.....playing on the internet. :D:

kittle42
11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
...just like Jake Taylor.

mweflen
11-10-2004, 10:19 AM
.....playing on the internet. :D:
Gotta get your kicks somewhere! Why I chose here, though... :wink:

Mickster
11-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Gotta get your kicks somewhere! Why I chose here, though... :wink:
I hear ya. :smile:

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 10:23 AM
I hear ya. :smile:So much for the vaunted productivity of the American worker.:tongue:

mweflen
11-10-2004, 10:25 AM
So much for the vaunted productivity of the American worker.:tongue:
Is it the American worker's fault that his boss can only give him 5 hours' worth in 8?

And I've produced lots of posts to WSI - so I resent that remark! :smile:

eshunn2001
11-10-2004, 10:27 AM
I say we hire this Mexican league guy (who just released JB) to be our new GM. I mean it took him 50 ABs to realize what KW has not realized in 4 years...... Now is the time to trade him to the Cubs and watch him become the next Sammy Sosa.. Withour luck it will happen.

mweflen
11-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I say we hire this Mexican league guy (who just released JB) to be our new GM. I mean it took him 50 ABs to realize what KW has not realized in 4 years...... Now is the time to trade him to the Cubs and watch him become the next Sammy Sosa.. Withour luck it will happen.
Hey, Sosa hit .233/15/70 in his only full season on the South Side. He'd look like Tony Gwynn next to JB.

Iguana775
11-10-2004, 10:56 AM
it is time to trade while some people still may think he has potential....though, it may be too late for that. maybe the Bears could try him out at QB? lol

eshunn2001
11-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Hey, Sosa hit .233/15/70 in his only full season on the South Side. He'd look like Tony Gwynn next to JB.
I know, but JB has not had a full season yet.. I am Sure if JB works reeeeeeeeeeeeal hard in the off season he could get his average up to .230.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 11:06 AM
it is time to trade while some people still may think he has potential....though, it may be too late for that. maybe the Bears could try him out at QB? lolAt this point, I have to think Borchard's trade value is hovering near zero. And while I know I'm going to hear a lot of disagreement, I don't think you throw in the towel on a guy with fewer than 300 career major league AB. It would be great if every young player could be ROY, but it just doesn't happen that way. Most young players struggle for a year or two. The HOF has lots of players who had poor first years. Mike Schmidt hit .196 in his first full year. So while I agree that the odds on him are getting longer, and I certainly wouldn't count on him as my everyday RF, I would see what he does in spring training, and probably keep him on the roster at least to start 2005. Let him play once or twice a week and work with Walker and see if he progresses. Meanwhile, the other young OF are going to be getting their reps in AAA. By June if Borchard is still going nowhere, one of these guys may be ready for a chance.

eshunn2001
11-10-2004, 11:16 AM
it is time to trade while some people still may think he has potential....though, it may be too late for that. maybe the Bears could try him out at QB? lol
Yeah, It would be alot easier to aim my sling shot at him in a full football stadium then at a half empty Cell. Nothing fatal, just like a shot to the knee cap.

mweflen
11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
The sad thing is, he's still an option for us, because Sox management cannot be counted on to find any serviceable replacement on the open market. So we're stuck with a lot of hope and not a lot of results thus far.

I'd rather see Timo Perez playing RF every day than Joe Borchard even twice a week. Why is this guy not in AAA? He "worked hard and reached .260 in AAA." To whom was this an indication that he was ready for the bigs? Seems to me, conventional wisdom is that a guys average DROPS for each level he comes up. So where and when was the meeting in which it was pondered... "hmm... .260 with loads of strikeouts... this will work like gangbusters if we bring him up!"

I don't know if he is an irretrievable bust. But man, I said it when he was brought up and I'll say it again, based on his minor league numbers, he just isn't ready. It's an insult to Sox fans that we are forced to contemplate an OF with Borchard as an everyday fixture in 2004 and 2005.

eshunn2001
11-10-2004, 11:35 AM
The sad thing is, he's still an option for us, because Sox management cannot be counted on to find any serviceable replacement on the open market. So we're stuck with a lot of hope and not a lot of results thus far.

I'd rather see Timo Perez playing RF every day than Joe Borchard even twice a week. Why is this guy not in AAA? He "worked hard and reached .260 in AAA." To whom was this an indication that he was ready for the bigs? Seems to me, conventional wisdom is that a guys average DROPS for each level he comes up. So where and when was the meeting in which it was pondered... "hmm... .260 with loads of strikeouts... this will work like gangbusters if we bring him up!"

I don't know if he is an irretrievable bust. But man, I said it when he was brought up and I'll say it again, based on his minor league numbers, he just isn't ready. It's an insult to Sox fans that we are forced to contemplate an OF with Borchard as an everyday fixture in 2004 and 2005.

Actually you maybe on to something. Timo is not a bad option, Considering what we have. A mix of Timo and Everett does not make me wanna hurl nearly as much as Borchard out there everyday.

mweflen
11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
If we're going to blow our financial wad on FA pitching, let's see a platoon of Timo and Carl in RF, or Timo every day if Carl has to DH every day.

Of course, J.D. Drew would ease the pain...

kittle42
11-10-2004, 12:10 PM
At this point, I have to think Borchard's trade value is hovering near zero. And while I know I'm going to hear a lot of disagreement, I don't think you throw in the towel on a guy with fewer than 300 career major league AB.
Joe Borchard = the South Side answer to Kevin Orie.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Timo Perez is NOT an everyday outfielder. He's a bench player for a reason and did pretty well coming off the bench.

Lip

DrCrawdad
11-10-2004, 12:51 PM
At this point, I have to think Borchard's trade value is hovering near zero. And while I know I'm going to hear a lot of disagreement, I don't think you throw in the towel on a guy with fewer than 300 career major league AB. It would be great if every young player could be ROY, but it just doesn't happen that way. Most young players struggle for a year or two. The HOF has lots of players who had poor first years. Mike Schmidt hit .196 in his first full year. So while I agree that the odds on him are getting longer, and I certainly wouldn't count on him as my everyday RF, I would see what he does in spring training, and probably keep him on the roster at least to start 2005. Let him play once or twice a week and work with Walker and see if he progresses. Meanwhile, the other young OF are going to be getting their reps in AAA. By June if Borchard is still going nowhere, one of these guys may be ready for a chance.

Good points.

SoxFanTillDeath
11-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Joe Borchard = the South Side answer to Kevin Orie.

Who the heck is that?

hitlesswonder
11-10-2004, 01:50 PM
At this point, I have to think Borchard's trade value is hovering near zero. And while I know I'm going to hear a lot of disagreement, I don't think you throw in the towel on a guy with fewer than 300 career major league AB.
I'll agree with that. I don't think there's much to be gained by dumping Borchard now. It's too late to get any value. Assuming the Sox big offseason acquisition is Omar Vizquel, I'd give RF ABs to both Escobar and Borchard and see if one of them can be a major league player. Honestly, if Vizquel is the biggest change, he's not going to push the Sox past the Twins (or probably even Indians).

And it's not like the Sox really have better options in RF anyway. Everett looked absolutely terrible defensively last year with Montreal (seriously, Kevin Millar looked better out there to me). And I don't understand why people would want Timo Perez playing everyday. He had a BA/OBP/OPS of .246/.285/.623. So yeah, that's better than Borchard's abysmal .174/.250/.587, but it's still terrible for a RF. I don't see playing Timo winning the Sox many more games than Escobar/Borchard. I think it would be more useful to try and develop someone than give ABs to Perez.

Anyway it's probably moot, because from the way Guillien ripped apart Borchard to the press last season I think he's done with the Sox.

SoxxoS
11-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Who the heck is that?

Highly touted 3Baseman for the Flubbies.

Actually, I think we have our own Kevin Orie in Joe Crede.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 01:53 PM
I'll agree with that. I don't think there's much to be gained by dumping Borchard now. It's too late to get any value. Assuming the Sox big offseason acquisition is Omar Vizquel, I'd give RF ABs to both Escobar and Borchard and see if one of them can be a major league player. Honestly, if Vizquel is the biggest change, he's not going to push the Sox past the Twins (or probably even Indians).

And it's not like the Sox really have better options in RF anyway. Everett looked absolutely terrible defensively last year with Montreal (seriously, Kevin Millar looked better out there to me). And I don't understand why people would want Timo Perez playing everyday. He had a BA/OBP/OPS of .246/.285/.623. So yeah, that's better than Borchard's abysmal .174/.250/.587, but it's still terrible for a RF. I don't see playing Timo winning the Sox many more games than Escobar/Borchard. I think it would be more useful to try and develop someone than give ABs to Perez.

Anyway it's probably moot, because from the way Guillien ripped apart Borchard to the press last season I think he's done with the Sox.I also don't think there's any point in sending him back down to AAA. Either keep him on the major league roster and get him some playing time or cut him loose. Maybe Walker has another miracle cure up his sleeve.

gosox41
11-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I also don't think there's any point in sending him back down to AAA. Either keep him on the major league roster and get him some playing time or cut him loose. Maybe Walker has another miracle cure up his sleeve.

Maybe he can get 'JoBoo' from "Major League" and try sacrificing a chicken.:D:

Bob

Mickster
11-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Maybe he can get 'JoBoo' from "Major League" and try sacrificing a chicken.:D:

Bob
He'll need to sacrafice an entire coop!

LAWSfan
11-10-2004, 02:19 PM
everyone can find examples like yours. there comes a time you need to use common sense and put certain things behind you. you can't just wait for the miracle.
he's no longer a kid and he's had too much opportunity as it is. he shows NO signs of plate discipline and has not only not shown improvement ... he's gone in the reverse direction.
if he's tradable at ALL ... TRADE HIM! otherwise just let him go. release him. make room for somebody who can actually PLAY.
26 year old with less than 400 MLB at bats? That's not a kid? Who is this somebody who can actually play? Whose path to the Show is JB blocking?

Here's some stats to consider. 65 games, 196 at bats, 44 hits, 5 HR. .224 avg.
Yeah let's trade this bum!!!!

A while JB has stats even worse than that, just give him some time.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 02:27 PM
He'll need to sacrafice an entire coop!Maybe we're onto a good promotion: Chicken sacrifice day at the Cell. They could do it on the field before the game. Invite Steve Dahl to do the honors. All the fans in the UD would get bags of feathers to release over the side at the right moment. Instead of hot dogs, the vendors could be selling chicken fingers. I'm sure if we could harness all the creativity hear at WSI we could make this a day to remember.

Jerome
11-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Dear Lord, who the hell drafted this guy? He cannot hit a baseball. When he does, it might go a long way, but sheesh. How can someone drafted this high not have the basic skill of making contact with the ball?

eshunn2001
11-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Timo Perez is NOT an everyday outfielder. He's a bench player for a reason and did pretty well coming off the bench.

LipNobody said everyday.. But he could platoon out there easily. And between Joe Borchard and Timo, I would much rather see Timo out there as our everyday RF. Now I said between Borchard and Timo. NOT Timo is better than Maggs and is goin to be the MVP.

dickallen15
11-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Borchard struggles for 50 AB's in the Mexican League, so what. His chances of succeeding are admittedly getting smaller, but you can't judge him on Mexican League failure with only 50 AB's. That's 2 weeks worth of games. Put him in the minors, take all expectations off of him, and see if the light goes on. To me, this Mexican League release is a non story.

SoxxoS
11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Borchard struggles for 50 AB's in the Mexican League, so what. His chances of succeeding are admittedly getting smaller, but you can't judge him on Mexican League failure with only 50 AB's. That's 2 weeks worth of games. Put him in the minors, take all expectations off of him, and see if the light goes on. To me, this Mexican League release is a non story.

Disagree. The lights on. And it's red. That means-

"STOP WASTING YOUR TIME, JOE"

Man Soo Lee
11-10-2004, 05:07 PM
And between Joe Borchard and Timo, I would much rather see Timo out there as our everyday RF.
If those are the options, I'd give serious thought to playing five infielders.

eshunn2001
11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
If those are the options, I'd give serious thought to playing five infielders.
LOL. You might be right. all I am saying is if Borchard cannot make a Mexican league team *** is he doing in the Majors???? Can anyone please tell me why.. Yeah we gave him 5.8 million dollars, It was a bad move now move on. Shoot didn't we give Navarro a stupid amount of money over Roger Clemens?? It wasn't so hard to let him go now was it??

JB98
11-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Nobody said everyday.. But he could platoon out there easily. And between Joe Borchard and Timo, I would much rather see Timo out there as our everyday RF. Now I said between Borchard and Timo. NOT Timo is better than Maggs and is goin to be the MVP.

Well, Timo over Borchard is a no-brainer. I think the point Lip was trying to make is, Timo is a good option as a fourth outfielder. He can start maybe twice a week and provide us with a nice lefty stick off the bench every other day. Ditto for Ross Gload. I think Gload and Perez can provide good things for the Sox off the bench, but neither should be a regular on a CHAMPIONSHIP level team. I get a little frustrated when I repeatedly see posters try to hand those guys starting positions. We need to find a RF in free agency or else make a trade. Obviously, Sox management miscalculated horribly on Borchard. Right now, Everett is our best option in RF. He's weak defensively and injury-prone, so that's not a good situation.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the situation is with Alex Escobar? He might be another guy we can use off the bench next season, if he's healthy. But I haven't heard anything about his recovery from the broken leg.

steff
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
He'll need to sacrafice an entire coop!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

flo-B-flo
11-10-2004, 07:04 PM
I say we hire this Mexican league guy (who just released JB) to be our new GM. I mean it took him 50 ABs to realize what KW has not realized in 4 years...... Now is the time to trade him to the Cubs...... This is EXACTLY what I thought when I read the news about Joe Buster. Sometimes KW..........oh never efen mind.:rolleyes:

A. Cavatica
11-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't KW and Borchard both go to Stanford? It's not hard to understand what KW sees in the guy.

A. Cavatica
11-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Oh crap, we'd better cut Donny Lucy before his trade value drops to zero too...

cubhater
11-11-2004, 12:11 AM
:hawk

How do you say "He Gone!" en espanol?

eshunn2001
11-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Well, Timo over Borchard is a no-brainer. I think the point Lip was trying to make is, Timo is a good option as a fourth outfielder. He can start maybe twice a week and provide us with a nice lefty stick off the bench every other day. Ditto for Ross Gload. I think Gload and Perez can provide good things for the Sox off the bench, but neither should be a regular on a CHAMPIONSHIP level team. I get a little frustrated when I repeatedly see posters try to hand those guys starting positions. We need to find a RF in free agency or else make a trade. Obviously, Sox management miscalculated horribly on Borchard. Right now, Everett is our best option in RF. He's weak defensively and injury-prone, so that's not a good situation.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the situation is with Alex Escobar? He might be another guy we can use off the bench next season, if he's healthy. But I haven't heard anything about his recovery from the broken leg.
I agree, Timo is a good 4th outfielder. But we may have no option but to make him our right fielder for at least the first month of the season, until Frank comes back. And if he and Joe Borchard are our only 2 choices, we have to run with Timo. Gload is NOT an outfielder He looks like Corky out there. Leave Gload at first. I think he could be a stud. He hit .321 and he is pretty quick on the bases for a 1B, and is good defensivley.

Jerome
11-11-2004, 02:57 PM
:hawk

How do you say "He Gone!" en espanol?

No esta aqui

(He is not here) - best I could do lol

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 03:01 PM
No esta aqui

(He is not here) - best I could do lolDoesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Dan H
11-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Joe Borchard reminds me of the late '60's and mid '70's guy by the name of Buddy Bradford. Bradford hit a roof shot in 1969 and according to some eye witnesses, the ball completely cleared the stadium. I don't know how many times my hopes would get raised by a long home run and then see Bradford do nothing for weeks. Bradford never put anything together. I don't see Borchard doing it either.

JKryl
11-11-2004, 04:50 PM
21Ks in 50ABs OMG!
Maybe we should be looking at a couple of Mexican pitchers.

Parrothead
11-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Maybe we should be looking at a couple of Mexican pitchers.
good one !:bandance:

JB98
11-11-2004, 09:03 PM
I agree, Timo is a good 4th outfielder. But we may have no option but to make him our right fielder for at least the first month of the season, until Frank comes back. And if he and Joe Borchard are our only 2 choices, we have to run with Timo. Gload is NOT an outfielder He looks like Corky out there. Leave Gload at first. I think he could be a stud. He hit .321 and he is pretty quick on the bases for a 1B, and is good defensivley.

Oh, I'm not suggesting Gload as an option for outfield. I think he's a pinch-hitter and spot starter at 1B or DH.

RKMeibalane
11-11-2004, 09:31 PM
(To the tune of "drive home safely")

RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD! RELEASE BORCHARD!

I've seen all I need to see of Joe Borchard. His failure with the Mexican League team only proves that he isn't cut out to play professional baseball (as if his struggles with the Sox the past two seasons didn't provide enough evidence). I realize that the Sox have committed a great deal of money to his development, but at some point, Ken Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf need to realize that they're not going to get anything out of him. If I were in their position, I would toss him aside and eat the remainder of his contract. There are a number of other things the Sox could be spending their money on- more pitching, another outfielder, a catcher, etc.