PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith on Chicago Cubune Live

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Sam Smith did a great job on Chicago Tribune Live today.
He asked Bruce Levine about Maggs because this was Magg's first appearance in a long time. It was at the GM meetings.

Sam: If you were a GM would you want Maggs?
Levine: I wouldn't even consider taking him until we can evaluate his health completely and get a straight answer as to why he went out of this country to have a surgery.
I would like to know too.

Sam also said "It's ridiculous how the Cubs criticized Steve Stone. They took no blame themselves and blamed others. How is it the announcers fault for how you play on the field.

He also took a shot at Cubs fans when Bob Brenly said "Cubs fans are some of the smartest fans."
Smith replied "Says Who?"

I couldn't help but laugh out loud.
When Jiggetts mentioned the Red Sox championship and incorporated the Cubs with it Sam sniped "Don't talk about the Cubs. The Red Sox winning has nothing to do with the Cubs."

Another writer argued that Keith Foulke has always been great and the Sox made a terrible mistake getting rid of him.
Sam sniped back "Shingo did great! Foulke couldn't get get an out when he left the Sox."

This is one of the few great writers in Chicago that doesn't favor the Cubs. It is very easy to tell.
:notwinks
The three game sweep of June 29-July 1 was sweet

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 06:35 PM
I wish he wrote more baseball, but I love his NBA stories anyways.
:wanne
Fired...........AGAIN!!!!

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Who woulda thought that there were more than 1 Sox "fan" writers at the Tribune :dtroll: Makes u just wanna dance

santo=dorf
11-09-2004, 06:42 PM
That's some funny stuff. I wish I didn't change the channel.

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 06:51 PM
It didn't catch me too offguard. I always thought he liked the Sox more

SomebodyToldMe
11-09-2004, 06:59 PM
When Jiggetts mentioned the Red Sox championship and incorporated the Cubs with it Sam sniped "Don't talk about the Cubs. The Red Sox winning has nothing to do with the Cubs."

Finally someone on tv says this. Great stuff.

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Finally someone on tv says this. Great stuff.
My thoughts exactly.

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 07:46 PM
:walnuts Paul-ee

JUribe1989
11-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Another writer argued that Keith Foulke has always been great and the Sox made a terrible mistake getting rid of him.
Sam sniped back "Shingo did great! Foulke couldn't get get an out when he left the Sox."

Who else agrees with this? I think Shingo is just as good as Keith Foulke. And we had reason to get rid of him. He was blowing saves all over the place. The game I'll never forget is ALDS Game 1 tied 4-4 in the tenth. Foulke gives up a 2 run homer to edgar martinez then on the next pitch a solo shot to olerud. Killed us the rest of the series.

OzzieBall2004
11-09-2004, 10:15 PM
sans 2 replies, this guy could have a conversation with himself......

SomebodyToldMe
11-09-2004, 11:42 PM
sans 2 replies, this guy could have a conversation with himself......
I think he's just trying to bump his own thread up.

Ol' No. 2
11-09-2004, 11:47 PM
I think he's just trying to bump his own thread up.Only 88 more to go for the tomato. Come on, you can do it!

SOXSINCE'70
11-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Who else agrees with this? I think Shingo is just as good as Keith Foulke. And we had reason to get rid of him. He was blowing saves all over the place. The game I'll never forget is ALDS Game 1 tied 4-4 in the tenth. Foulke gives up a 2 run homer to edgar martinez then on the next pitch a solo shot to olerud. Killed us the rest of the series.The Sox' inability to score runners from 3rd with less than
2 outs didn't help the cause much either.Can't blame just
Foulke.That choke was a team effort.:angry: :angry: :angry:

gosox41
11-10-2004, 08:00 AM
That's some funny stuff. I wish I didn't change the channel.

I wish I had the channel.

Bob

Dolanski
11-10-2004, 09:11 AM
The Sox' inability to score runners from 3rd with less than
2 outs didn't help the cause much either.Can't blame just
Foulke.That choke was a team effort.:angry: :angry: :angry:

I dunno. Foullke seemed to lose his touch after he got lit up by Seattle in the 2000 playoffs. I think this is one of those cases where you have to chalk it up to a change of scenery, manager, whatever, was what he needed to jumpstart him. When we unloaded him for Koch, I don't recall too many complaints.

Foulke was likely to go anyways because he was critical of the team to the media and everyone knows how much the Sox HATE when players are vocal about the organization not doing things right, so the writing was on the wall that he be gone. Still, interestingly enough, he talked about playing for the White Sox and how they gave up on him during this WS. I think he may still miss us...

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 09:17 AM
I dunno. Foullke seemed to lose his touch after he got lit up by Seattle in the 2000 playoffs. I think this is one of those cases where you have to chalk it up to a change of scenery, manager, whatever, was what he needed to jumpstart him. When we unloaded him for Koch, I don't recall too many complaints.

Foulke was likely to go anyways because he was critical of the team to the media and everyone knows how much the Sox HATE when players are vocal about the organization not doing things right, so the writing was on the wall that he be gone. Still, interestingly enough, he talked about playing for the White Sox and how they gave up on him during this WS. I think he may still miss us...If you compare Foulke's 2002 numbers (as a closer) with Koch's 2003 numbers, they're eerily similar. Foulke put up better numbers the last half of 2002 as a setup man, but he had clearly lost the confidence of management, and they weren't going to pay $6M for a setup man. I think you're right on the mark about him needing a change of scenery.

What puzzled me about that trade was this: Why would Oakland trade a guy coming off a dominant season for a guy like Foulke who seemed to have lost it? Money was the explanation advanced at the time, but Foulke was making MORE money than Koch, so that doesn't make sense. It only makes sense if Beane knew something about Koch that wasn't generally known.

Hangar18
11-10-2004, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=Ol' No. 2]

What puzzled me about that trade was this: Why would Oakland trade a guy coming off a dominant season for a guy like Foulke who seemed to have lost it? Money was the explanation advanced at the time, but Foulke was making MORE money than Koch, so that doesn't make sense. QUOTE]

Keith Foulke was about to hit arbitration, and Jerry Rein$dorf, trying to avoid paying for the proverbial lobster-dinner, tried to slip out thru the Kitchen and authorized the trade for "a real closer" Billy Koch. Of course, the Kitchen was Locked, and Uncle Jerry got burned , per usual.

:reinsy " And I wouldve gotten away it, if it hadnt been for
you Meddling Wsi jerks ! "

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Keith Foulke was about to hit arbitration, and Jerry Rein$dorf, trying to avoid paying for the proverbial lobster-dinner, tried to slip out thru the Kitchen and authorized the trade for "a real closer" Billy Koch. Of course, the Kitchen was Locked, and Uncle Jerry got burned , per usual.

:reinsy " And I wouldve gotten away it, if it hadnt been for
you Meddling Wsi jerks ! "No, Foulke had another year left on his contract at $6M per, and would become a FA after 2003. Koch is the one who was eligible for arbitration, but would likely have gotten less than the $6M Foulke was getting.

JUribe1989
11-10-2004, 03:23 PM
I think he's just trying to bump his own thread up.
Sorry about that. I was bored yesterday.:redface:

santo=dorf
11-10-2004, 03:39 PM
No, Foulke had another year left on his contract at $6M per, and would become a FA after 2003. Koch is the one who was eligible for arbitration, but would likely have gotten less than the $6M Foulke was getting.I think he would've gotten more than $6 million if they went to arbitration. Rolaids relief man, double digits in saves and wins, *** HAPPENED BOTCH???:angry:

:bkoch:
"I left my 98 MPH fastball back in Oakland, sorry."

dickallen15
11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
FWIW, Sam Smith is a friend of JR's. I have seen them out socially a couple of times.

pudge
11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
FWIW, Sam Smith is a friend of JR's. I have seen them out socially a couple of times.
Yeah, it's been noted around here that Sam generally likes JR, and I think it's worthy to have that viewpoint in the media, considering everyone else does nothing but bash.

The only point I disagree with is that Foulke was throwing lousy when he left. He had actually rebounded very well, and I would have preferred to keep him over Boch, considering Boch relies on pure speed, whereas Foulke has a nice variety and keeps hitters off-balance. Oh well, here's hoping Shingo stays consistent.

dickallen15
11-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it's been noted around here that Sam generally likes JR, and I think it's worthy to have that viewpoint in the media, considering everyone else does nothing but bash.

The only point I disagree with is that Foulke was throwing lousy when he left. He had actually rebounded very well, and I would have preferred to keep him over Boch, considering Boch relies on pure speed, whereas Foulke has a nice variety and keeps hitters off-balance. Oh well, here's hoping Shingo stays consistent.
Foulke was throwing great at the end of the 2002 season, and should have re assumed the closer's role. That trade KW made was the worst he has ever made. A thousand times worse than the Ritchie trade.

flo-B-flo
11-10-2004, 07:19 PM
I wish I had the channel.

Bob Writes very insightful NBA columns. Seems to be knowledgeable about baseball too. I saw the show. He was hilarious. And anti c--. Jiggetts tried to slow him down. But he kept on ripping the c--- players for the Steve Stone mess. He probably won't get asked to come back on.

ChiSox14305635
11-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Who else agrees with this? I think Shingo is just as good as Keith Foulke. And we had reason to get rid of him. He was blowing saves all over the place. The game I'll never forget is ALDS Game 1 tied 4-4 in the tenth. Foulke gives up a 2 run homer to edgar martinez then on the next pitch a solo shot to olerud. Killed us the rest of the series.

There were 2 Foulke games I remember specifically. The first was back in 2001 when everytime the Sox went up into the Trash Bag in Minnesota, they would get killed. Well finally, the Sox had a 6-3 lead going to the bottom of the 9th. Foulke promptly came in and got 1 out..........while giving up 4 runs (I still hate Denny Hocking to this day :angry: ) to lose 7-6. The other game was in 2002, when the Yankees were in town, and Buerhle absolutely outdueled Clemens just to watch Foulke give up the lead on a tape measure 3 run shot by Giambi. He was never the same pitcher after that.

As much as the Sox ultimately got burned on the Koch deal, Foulke was no longer the same type of dominant pitcher. He had to go.

gosox41
11-11-2004, 08:30 AM
There were 2 Foulke games I remember specifically. The first was back in 2001 when everytime the Sox went up into the Trash Bag in Minnesota, they would get killed. Well finally, the Sox had a 6-3 lead going to the bottom of the 9th. Foulke promptly came in and got 1 out..........while giving up 4 runs (I still hate Denny Hocking to this day :angry: ) to lose 7-6. The other game was in 2002, when the Yankees were in town, and Buerhle absolutely outdueled Clemens just to watch Foulke give up the lead on a tape measure 3 run shot by Giambi. He was never the same pitcher after that.

As much as the Sox ultimately got burned on the Koch deal, Foulke was no longer the same type of dominant pitcher. He had to go.
I disagree and so do the numbers.

Bob

Ol' No. 2
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM

As much as the Sox ultimately got burned on the Koch deal, Foulke was no longer the same type of dominant pitcher. He had to go.That game in the Trash Bag is etched into my memory, too. It started the Sox on a 2-week tailspin where IIRC they lost something like 8 of 11 games. If you look at Foulke's 2002 numbers as a closer, they're pretty similar to Koch's 2003 numbers. Foulke did much better in 2002 in a setup role, but as a closer he was done for the Sox. To paraphrase Yogi, half of closing is 90% mental. We'll never know for sure, but I don't think you can assume Foulke would have had the same success had he remained with the Sox that he had in Oakland and Boston. I doubt it very much.

Lip Man 1
11-11-2004, 10:21 AM
The game was played on June 26, 2001. The Sox had come into the game winning six out of their last seven.

After the game they lost seven of their next ten.

In fairness to Foulke that was a typical Twins game in the sense that they hit balls off the turf... two got past Konerko, I think one bounced off his glove and for some bizarre reason Perry was playing way off the line with the tying run on base. The Twins batter promptly stroked the ball right down the third base line and off Perry's glove!

Lip