PDA

View Full Version : For all the armchair GM's out there...

MisterB
11-09-2004, 06:06 PM
I've written up what I think the Sox 25-man roster effectively is *right now* with salary figures to use as a starting point for any figuring of off-season moves.

(All amounts in millions of dollars; G = guaranteed;
A = arbitration; all others at or near league minimum of $300k)

Lineup:
LF Podsednik - .55 (G)
2B Iguchi - 2.3 (G)
DH Thomas - 8 (G)
1B Konerko - 8.75 (G)
CF Rowand - 2 (G)
RF Dye - 4 (G)
C Pierzynski - 2.25 (G)
SS Uribe - 2.15 (G)
3B Crede

Bench:
C Davis - 1 (G)
1B Gload
IF Valdez
OF Everett - 4 (G)
OF Perez - 1 (G)

Rotation:
SP Garcia - 8 (G)
SP Buehrle - 5.75 (G)
SP Contreras - 6 (G)
SP Hernandez 3.5 (G)
SP Garland - 3.4 (G)

Bullpen:
CL Takatsu - 2.5 (G)
RP Marte - 1.25 (G)
RP Politte - 1 (G)
RP Vizcaino - 1.3 (G)
RP Hermanson - 2 (G)
RP Cotts

Salary:
Guaranteed Contracts: $70.4M
League Min. or thereabouts: $1.6M
TOTAL: $72M

Other rostered players:
SP Jason Grilli
SP Bobby Jenks
SP Kris Honel
SP Sean Tracey
RP Felix Diaz
RP Jon Adkins
RP Matt Smith
RP Paulino Reynoso
RP Arnie Munoz
RP Jeff Bajenaru
RP Kevin Walker
C Jamie Burke
OF Joe Borchard
OF Alex Escobar
2B Pedro Lopez
2B Willie Harris
1B Casey Rogowski

Jerome
11-09-2004, 06:16 PM
.377 million per win.

Win1ForMe
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
I think Uribe and Rowand are closer to $1.5 M than $500K. That would make our payroll around $63.5 M.

Edit: Also Shingo's option is actually $2.5 M, another increase to your budget ($64.5 M). I would assume we probably have about $5-$7 M in free money (that is, money without having to move payroll). Some of that is going to Vizquel, the leftovers would probably be earmarked for a bullpen guy.

If the Sox do trade Konerko/Garland for one of Oakland's big 3, that would free up another $6 M. That could get you a Catcher (Damian Miller? Pierzynski in a trade?) or an outfielder (Dye?). All in all, getting one of Zito/Hudson/Mulder would be preferable to Randy Johnson, as it still leaves us with some spending room.

Ol' No. 2
11-09-2004, 11:44 PM
I've written up what I think the Sox 25-man roster effectively is *right now* with salary figures to use as a starting point for any figuring of off-season moves.

(All amounts in millions of dollars; G = guaranteed;
A = arbitration; all others at or near league minimum of $300k)

Lineup:
2B Harris
CF Rowand - .5 (A)
DH Thomas - 8 (G)
LF Lee - 8.5 (G)
1B Konerko - 8.25 (G)
RF Everett - 4 (G)
SS Uribe - .5 (A)
3B Crede
C Davis - 1.5 (A)

Bench:
C Burke
1B Gload
IF Valdez
OF Borchard
OF Perez - .85 (A)

Rotation:
SP Garcia - 8 (G)
SP Buehrle - 5.75 (G)
SP Contreras - 6 (G)
SP Garland - 2.75+ (A)
SP Grilli

Bullpen:
CL Takatsu - 2.5 (G)
RP Marte - 1.25 (G)
RP Politte - 1 (G)
RP Cotts
RP Diaz
RP Adkins

Salary:
Guaranteed Contracts: $53.25M
Arbitration: $6.1M
League Min. or thereabouts: $3.25M
TOTAL: $62.6M

Other rostered players:
SP Dan Wright (A) - DL
SP Eduardo Villacis
SP Ryan Meaux
RP Arnie Munoz
RP Jeff Bajenaru
OF Alex Escobar
2B Ruddy YanAre you sure about those guys being eligible for arbitration? I'm pretty sure Garland is, but I'm not so sure about the others. Unless they're super-3's, they don't have enough days in the majors to qualify. If they are eligible, they're almost certain to get a lot more in arb awards than you have down there.

MisterB
11-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Are you sure about those guys being eligible for arbitration? I'm pretty sure Garland is, but I'm not so sure about the others. Unless they're super-3's, they don't have enough days in the majors to qualify. If they are eligible, they're almost certain to get a lot more in arb awards than you have down there.Garland was eligible last year, but the Sox signed him before getting that far. Rowand and Uribe each have 2 full years plus portions of 2 others combining for 156 and 159 games respectively, so they should be at least 'super-2's'. Davis and Perez were eligible before they were traded to the Sox. I believe I made a mistake with Wright, but forgot that Schoeneweis is eligible and still on the roster, although I think he'll be non-tendered (Grilli is #1 in line for the #5 slot now, and Cotts the 2nd lefty in the 'pen).

As for the dollar values, I figured Davis and Perez to get roughly what they made this year; Garland was a best guess; and with Rowand and Uribe I wasn't sure how much they could get considering each have had only 1 really good year, so I went with what I thought would be the minimum amount.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Garland was eligible last year, but the Sox signed him before getting that far. Rowand and Uribe each have 2 full years plus portions of 2 others combining for 156 and 159 games respectively, so they should be at least 'super-2's'. Davis and Perez were eligible before they were traded to the Sox. I believe I made a mistake with Wright, but forgot that Schoeneweis is eligible and still on the roster, although I think he'll be non-tendered (Grilli is #1 in line for the #5 slot now, and Cotts the 2nd lefty in the 'pen).

As for the dollar values, I figured Davis and Perez to get roughly what they made this year; Garland was a best guess; and with Rowand and Uribe I wasn't sure how much they could get considering each have had only 1 really good year, so I went with what I thought would be the minimum amount.I, frankly, can't remember all the rules on "super-2's" (or is it super-3's?). If eligible for arbitration, and after the year he had, I'd guess Rowand would certainly get $1-2M, at minimum. Schoeneweis is on the MLB FA list.

MisterB
11-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I, frankly, can't remember all the rules on "super-2's" (or is it super-3's?). If eligible for arbitration, and after the year he had, I'd guess Rowand would certainly get $1-2M, at minimum. Schoeneweis is on the MLB FA list.
Super-2's are the top 17% (service time-wise) of players between 2 and 3 years service time. The cutoff usually comes out to 2 yr + somewhere between 130-150 days. I just found arbitration numbers on Doug Pappas' website and will take a closer look later to try to come up with an educated guess on AR & JU. The FA list I was going from didn't have Shoney on it, but I should have gone with my first instinct and left him off.

ma-gaga
11-10-2004, 04:27 PM
*edit* oh sure, bring back this thread after I've removed the image...

Updated as well, for "current" roster stuff. I'm not 100% sure why my numbers vary slightly from MisterB's, but take it for what you will:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~dunca016/WSox%20-%202005%20Roster%20-%202.jpg

santo=dorf
11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Here's what I put together a week ago. It doesn't include FA's like Maggs or Valetine. I have one with them included, but that brought the "payroll" up to $88MM+.

My 2005 salary assumptions are guesses based solely on service time and 2004's salary (and info from Dugout Dollars), and I've taken into account the amount of money that the Yankees are paying Conteras.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~dunca016/Lineup%20-%20MisterB%20-%2001.jpg

Like I've said before. Go ahead and correct any gross errors that you see. :gulp:Everett is making 4 million, not 5.75, and we will be paying Contreras 6 million.

Ol' No. 2
11-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Here's what I put together a week ago. It doesn't include FA's like Maggs or Valetine. I have one with them included, but that brought the "payroll" up to $88MM+.

My 2005 salary assumptions are guesses based solely on service time and 2004's salary (and info from Dugout Dollars), and I've taken into account the amount of money that the Yankees are paying Conteras.

Like I've said before. Go ahead and correct any gross errors that you see. :gulp:I thought Dino was down for $4M for 2005. Are they paying him that much?

ma-gaga
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Everett is making 4 million, not 5.75, and we will be paying Contreras 6 million.I thought Dino was down for $4M for 2005. Are they paying him that much
*edit* There. Automatically updated. :)

MisterB
11-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Updated for Garland signing, Roster additions and better estimates of Rowand and Uribe contracts.

MisterB
12-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Updated for signing of Hermanson.

...and Dye...

MisterB
12-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Updated for Milwaukee deal and Uribe signing.

Current estimated payroll: $63.5M

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2004, 10:08 AM
With the frequency that questions are asked about this, maybe it should be stuck at least until after the hot-stove season.

jabrch
12-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Updated for Milwaukee deal and Uribe signing.

Current estimated payroll: $63.5M

Add Clement for 10mm....

MisterB
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150229.jpg
*BUMP*

SouthSideHitman
01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
We were hearing $75 million before, weren't we? Man, if we coulda kept mags or something... Well, I like that though, enough money to sign Iguchi and then go get a big bat wherever we need it in June/July.

Hangar18
01-06-2005, 10:07 PM
:reinsy "Carlos Lee $8 million OR Scott Podsednik for $500,000?"

MisterB
01-07-2005, 01:11 AM
:reinsy "Carlos Lee $8 million OR Scott Podsednik for $500,000?"

:KW
"Carlos Lee for $8 million OR Scott Podsednik, Luis Vizcaino, Orlando Hernandez and A.J. Pierzynski for $6 million?"

MisterB
01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
The signing of Luis Vizcaino now brings the projected '05 Sox payroll to an even $70 million.

MisterB
01-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Ohayo-gozaimasu, Iguchi-san!