PDA

View Full Version : Varitek seeking five years, no trade

Fenway
11-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Jason Varitek's agent told WEEI Sports Radio this morning that the free agent Red Sox catcher wants a five-year contract with a no-trade clause -- terms the Sox are unlikely to offer.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/11/09/boras_varitek_wants_five_years/

This could be big trouble for the Red Sox as Jason is the defacto captain

HomeFish
11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Varitek carried one of my fantasy teams to a championship in 2003 almost single-handedly, so I have a fair deal of respect for the guy.

Does he really think that his non-2003 stats justify such demands, however? iirc, he was nowhere near as good this year.

MisterB
11-09-2004, 11:00 PM
"He actually gave Boston one of his free agent years, signed a contract there that was, I think, very club oriented, and he's been very loyal to the Red Sox,” Boras said. “When he became a free agent, this is the time in his career when he has to concern himself with his family."Whenever a sports agent says that a player coming off of a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract now has to 'think of his family' I get the urge to rip their appendix out through their nostrils. One year of ML 'minimum wage' would hold most families for the better part of a decade. If Mr. Varitek can't take care of his family on $14.9M, that's his problem. Otherwise, just tell the truth and say "He's enjoyed his time in Boston, but he really wants to get as much money as possible right now."

minastirith67
11-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Jason Varitek's agent told WEEI Sports Radio this morning that the free agent Red Sox catcher wants a five-year contract with a no-trade clause -- terms the Sox are unlikely to offer.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/11/09/boras_varitek_wants_five_years/

This could be big trouble for the Red Sox as Jason is the defacto captain
What do you care? At least you guys won a World Series within the last 86 years, something the real Sox haven't done.

Keeping Varitek would obviously be good for team morale and the future, but is he really worth what he is asking? I guess Boston ownership will soon figure that out.

jackbrohamer
11-10-2004, 09:47 AM
If Mr. Varitek can't take care of his family on $14.9M, that's his problem. Otherwise, just tell the truth and say "He's enjoyed his time in Boston, but he really wants to get as much money as possible right now."
LOL, I don't hold it against players trying to get as much $$ as they can but it would be nice if they were honest about it.

Fenway
11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
LOL, I don't hold it against players trying to get as much $$ as they can but it would be nice if they were honest about it.
Here is the entire interview with Scott Boros
http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/110904ScottBoros.wma

Fenway
11-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Red Sox owner goes after Boros

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/11/11/red_sox_owners_differ_with_boras?mode=PF
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Let history repeat itself, Jason Varitek's agent, Scott Boras, urged the Red Sox owners in lobbying for them to sign the 32-year-old catcher for five years with a full no-trade clause at a premium wage.

Just as the Sox owners awarded contracts spanning at least five years with no-trade clauses to players such as Charles Johnson, Phil Nevin, and Ryan Klesko when they controlled other organizations, they should do the same for Varitek, Boras said Tuesday at the annual general managers meetings.

But the Sox yesterday differed with Boras about several elements of the historical record.

Tekijawa
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Just as the Sox owners awarded contracts spanning at least five years with no-trade clauses to players such as Charles Johnson, Phil Nevin, and Ryan Klesko when they controlled other organizations, they should do the same for Varitek, Boras said Tuesday at the annual general managers meetings.

If I were trying to sell a team on a long term, no trade clause, high paying contract I can't think of any WORSE Names to bring up than Johnson, Nevin, and Klesko. Is Boras losing his touch?

JKryl
11-11-2004, 05:00 PM
If I were trying to sell a team on a long term, no trade clause, high paying contract I can't think of any WORSE Names to bring up than Johnson, Nevin, and Klesko. Is Boras losing his touch?
We'll find out if he's losing his touch when he works over Uncle Jerry and Cousin Kenny. If Mags comes back for a reasonable fee, either Boras lost his touch, or Mags is still hurt, and JR lost his. :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: