PDA

View Full Version : Jon Lieber?

jabrch
11-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us sign him. He's no RJ, but he'd fit the rotation nicely - and wouldn't break the budget. There'd still be plenty of room to do other things.

Thoughts?

samram
11-08-2004, 08:16 AM
He wouldn't be a bad pick-up, especially if he starts to become more of the groundball pitcher he was with the Cubs. He did give up a lot of hits last year, and he had a .301 batting average against him. However, he only walked 18 all year, which is great. As a fourth or fifth starter, I wouldn't mind- he's certainly better than anything in the system right now.

gosox41
11-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us sign him. He's no RJ, but he'd fit the rotation nicely - and wouldn't break the budget. There'd still be plenty of room to do other things.

Thoughts?
Depends on the money. He's not a $6 mill a year pitcher until he shows hecan stay healthy and effective all year. On the flip side, he did pitch well in a couple of playoff games. Without doing any research on his stats, I wonder how much of that .301 BA against came when he was mnaking his first few starts.

But for a one year $3 mill guaranteed contract plus a few million in incentives based on # of starts and IP, I'd take a risk. He can make the other few million by staying healthy and pitching well.

Bob

jabrch
11-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Depends on the money. He's not a $6 mill a year pitcher until he shows hecan stay healthy and effective all year. On the flip side, he did pitch well in a couple of playoff games. Without doing any research on his stats, I wonder how much of that .301 BA against came when he was mnaking his first few starts.

But for a one year $3 mill guaranteed contract plus a few million in incentives based on # of starts and IP, I'd take a risk. He can make the other few million by staying healthy and pitching well.

Bob
He will cost more than that...and he will definitely get more than one year. I think it would take 2/3 years and 4mm + incentives. (just a guess)

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2004, 09:35 AM

BobLieber has historically been a high G/F pitcher, and so would fit in well with the Sox. If they do the PK+JG for RJ trade, Lieber would fill the hole nicely. Johnson/Garcia/Buehrle/Contreras/Lieber would be among the best starting rotations in baseball.

samram
11-08-2004, 09:46 AM

Bob
Just looking at his starts this year, he gave up 10 or more hits 9 times- 5/30 (11 in 5IP), 6/12, 6/23 (11 in 3 2/3), 7/18, 8/3 (11 in 4 1/3), 8/20, 9/12 (10 in 5 1/3), 9/23, 9/29. So the high hit totals were pretty evenly spread out, considering his first start was in early May. That said, his ERA in September was around 3.00, which could mean that he was getting a lot of double play balls after giving up hits. If that's the case, he could be getting back into his old form and could make a nice addition.

mweflen
11-08-2004, 09:59 AM
No way the Yankees part ways with him. He's basically the only "budget starter" they have - and given the possible $200mm payroll they're looking at next season, they're going to want to cut financial corners somewhere.

jabrch
11-08-2004, 10:11 AM
No way the Yankees part ways with him. He's basically the only "budget starter" they have - and given the possible $200mm payroll they're looking at next season, they're going to want to cut financial corners somewhere.
They declined his 8mm option - so now he is a FA. They may not have a choice in the matter anymore. (then again - they may just decide to throw big wads of cash at him) I think they are aiming higher in terms of SPs than Lieber. The only question is if they end up paying to unload Brown and Vazquez (why they'd give up on him after one disappointing year is beyond me) bah...who knows. It's the Yanks.

mweflen
11-08-2004, 10:15 AM
They declined his 8mm option - so now he is a FA. They may not have a choice in the matter anymore. (then again - they may just decide to throw big wads of cash at him) I think they are aiming higher in terms of SPs than Lieber. The only question is if they end up paying to unload Brown and Vazquez (why they'd give up on him after one disappointing year is beyond me) bah...who knows. It's the Yanks.
In that case, I'm all for it. I think he's definitely worth $5-7mm a year for 2 years or so. He had a good season in 04 and will probably continue his rebound from Tommy John surgery in 05. He'd be a good veteran upgrade over JG at the 4 spot. He's a "grinder," at least in terms of elbow bones... seriously, I've always admired hisquiet work ethic.

akingamongstmen
11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Johnson/Garcia/Buehrle/Contreras/Lieber would be among the best starting rotations in baseball.
Good God. Our pitching would terrify baseball. There would never be an "easy" game against us. Of course, upgrading the bullpen would only make us more frightening.

Dolanski
11-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Leiber would be awesome. Considering that last year he was ONE YEAR removed from Tommy John, his stats are phenominal. Usually, a pitcher doesn't return to form until two years following TJ surgery. Hopefully, he would like to return to Chicago...

That being said, one of the most gruesome images I can recall from the playoffs was the Fox closeup of him pitching and all you see is the huge scar on his arm.

Dick Allen
11-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Sorry, I frown on ex-Cubs.

duke of dorwood
11-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Rather have him than trading a star for a 41 year old pitcher

HomeFish
11-08-2004, 12:51 PM
I think Lieber will be this year's Kenny Rogers. A cheap veteran pitcher that it would make sense to aquire...but that KW will not go after.

hold2dibber
11-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Good God. Our pitching would terrify baseball. There would never be an "easy" game against us. Of course, upgrading the bullpen would only make us more frightening.
I wouldn't go quite that far - Contreras did have an ERA well over 5.00 last year - but I agree that would be a heck of a rotation.