PDA

View Full Version : Sosa for Todd Helton?

StillMissOzzie
11-08-2004, 01:25 AM
One of several rumors mentioned in the Sunday Tribune was Sosa for the Rockies' Todd Helton. Although it's dismissed as not making much sense for either team, one thing caught my eye: Todd Helton's contract. I don't recall the details on Jason Kendall's deal, but Helton's reads like it's even worse. He's due for $12.6M in 2005, $16.6M for each of the next 5 years, and $19M for 2011. That's a total of $104.6M in total dollars. I can't see the Cubs taking on this burden, even if they do get to dump Sosa, who might still be able to hit 80 HRs in playing 81 games in the thin Denver air.

SMO
:gulp:

samram
11-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Well, they would have to find a taker for Derrick Lee, which wouldn't be that hard, but they did sign him for three years.

It works for Colorado if they just want to free up salary after 2006. Sosa would hit a lot of homeruns at Coors, but the other fields in the NL West are not really hitter friendly. From a strictly on the field perspective, this move really doesn't help the Rockies at all, although they haven't done anything in several years to help the team on the field, so maybe they're just trying to be consistent.

Clembasbal
11-08-2004, 10:58 AM
If Helton leaves Denver then he will not be the same hitter. He will be just as good driving in runs and hit more 2B's and 1B's, but not nearly as many HR's. He will be good, just not as good.

Helton should be on the Sox, if my memory serves me right.