PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld's dumb lineup prediction for 2005 Sox

santo=dorf
11-08-2004, 12:19 AM
They're always good for a laugh. :rolling:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14

Jjav829
11-08-2004, 12:24 AM
LOL! Yeah, that sounds so much like what we will do. But hey, they nailed what we were gonna do last year. :rolleyes:

FWIW, here's their prediction from last year.

Chicago White Sox

Projected Lineup
CF Kenny Lofton
LF Carlos Lee
DH Frank Thomas
RF Magglio Ordonez
1B Paul Konerko
3B Joe Crede
2B Adam Kennedy
SS Deivi Cruz
C Miguel Olivo

Projected Rotation
RHP Esteban Loaiza
LHP Mark Buehrle
RHP Jon Garland
LHP Kenny Rogers
LHP Neal Cotts/RHP Dan Wright/RHP Jon Rauch

Projected Bullpen
RHP Rod Beck
LHP Damaso Marte
RHP Billy Koch
RHP Turk Wendell

The White Sox appear stuck with a very limited budget and a bunch of players they donít want, but since they play in the AL Central, they canít be counted out in 2004. With Frank Thomas deciding to stay put and Bartolo Colon now out of the picture, a couple of situations have already been resolved. The big decision now is whether to trade Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Lee in order to upgrade the pitching.

Unless the White Sox deal an outfielder, theyíre going to have to go cheap to fill out their lineup and pitching staff. Kenny Lofton would be an acceptable replacement for Carl Everett. The middle infield would be tougher to fill and odds are that theyíd have to settle for mediocrities. Only a fourth starter such as Kenny Rogers or Jason Johnson could be signed to help the rotation. Tom Gordon would have to be let go, leaving the White Sox to sign Rod Beck or Jose Jimenez as insurance for Billy Koch. This looks like a team that would need a lot of luck to win 90 games.

If GM Ken Williams can trade Ordonez and get great value in return, he should probably do so. They could really use the money, and Mags is a free agent after next season. Ordonez for Alfonso Soriano probably isnít a possibility, but maybe the Orioles would give up Jay Gibbons and Jerry Hairston Jr. for him. Although thatís not a great return, it would allow the White Sox to plug two holes cheaply and give them the money to re-sign Colon or bring in Greg Maddux or Sidney Ponson. Also, they could re-sign Gordon or Jose Valentin. They still wouldnít have a great team, but it would be one that should contend, assuming Esteban Loaiza remains a quality starter and Paul Konerko bounces back.
They were right on the money.

Ol' No. 2
11-08-2004, 12:26 AM
They're always good for a laugh. He's been on this Jermaine Dye thing for a while. This lineup looks like it was put together with the help of a dartboard. And maybe a little too much :gulp: .

Jjav829
11-08-2004, 12:30 AM
He's been on this Jermaine Dye thing for a while. This lineup looks like it was put together with the help of a dartboard. And maybe a little too much :gulp: .
Hell, read the rest of their projections. They are all bad IMO. It seems like whoever wrote this was too concerned with being creative to come up with intelligent projected moves.

OzzieBall2004
11-08-2004, 12:32 AM
What a load of BS, That Giants trade is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Notice how he goes on the slam the Sox when talking about cleveland?

Something about them being bound to do something stupid between now and opening day....

kermittheefrog
11-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Lee to the Giants? Yeah I hear they are looking for a LF upgrade.

hosieryofthegods
11-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Lee to the Giants? Yeah I hear they are looking for a LF upgrade.
:roflmao: :rolling:

soltrain21
11-08-2004, 10:04 AM
If we ever had A.J. Pierzynski I would be extremely P.Oed. That is like having Jon Starks or Patrick Ewing on the Bulls.

mweflen
11-08-2004, 10:56 AM
If we ever had A.J. Pierzynski I would be extremely P.Oed. That is like having Jon Starks or Patrick Ewing on the Bulls.
wait a minute.... wasn't John Starks on the Bulls for part of a season?:?:

soltrain21
11-08-2004, 10:58 AM
wait a minute.... wasn't John Starks on the Bulls for part of a season?:?:

He was, that is why I said it. Did anyone else notice he has Jose as the starting SS for Boston?!

mweflen
11-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Jose would be eaten alive in Boston. EATEN ALIVE. About a month of his .220 hijinks and he'd be holding a cardboard sign along the freeway. And wait a minute... don't they have a pretty good young option at SS already?

eriqjaffe
11-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Proof that this guy hasn't been paying attention:

Omar Vizquel isnít an upgrade over Jose Valentin

As far as I am concerned, the only way to downgrade at shortstop would be to start Joe Borchard there. Vizquel is one of the best defensive shortstops in the game. Sure, he doesn't hit for power like Jose, but he also doesn't hit .216 like Valentin. Vizquel's AVERAGE OBP is almost the same as Valentin's career high.

Whatever.

jordan23ventura
11-08-2004, 02:00 PM
What a load of BS, That Giants trade is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Notice how he goes on the slam the Sox when talking about cleveland?

Something about them being bound to do something stupid between now and opening day....

Lee + Marte for Jerome Williams + A.J. Pasjdgffsafhslk?

***?!?!?!

Let me say that again....

***?!?!?!

wdelaney72
11-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I, too, got a big laugh out of the comment that Vizquel is not an upgrade over Jose.

It just goes to show that there's a lot of people stealing money out there for a living. What do I have to do to get that job?

JKryl
11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Someone should send this to Kenny, looks like he needs to get busy.

11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
A.J. on the White Sox? Ugh, horrible waste of money and KW would never do it. I'd rather roll the dice with Jamie Burke and Ben Davis....Damien Miller might not be a bad catcher at a good price. But if we got AJ and Jerome Williams, I would not be happy....Jermaine Dye would be fine in RF but I tell you right now, Carl Everett won't be in LF