PDA

View Full Version : Washington "Nationals" a Virtual Lock = Expos New Name

Brian26
11-07-2004, 12:35 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that this is a virtual lock. Senators and Grays are still being considered, but they want to get this done asap to have hat and jerseys on sale for the holiday season. I guess different jersey designs and logos for each team name are already complete.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2004, 12:42 PM
I read in the Washington Post they are already fighting about where to build the new ballpark and the entire deal to move the Expos to D.C. is being thrown back up in the air.

What to name the team ought to be the least of worries for D.C.'s baseball fans.

:tool
"Give us what we want or we'll just send the whole franchise on another six month traveling road show... "

:reinsy
"Step right up! Step right up! Come see the bearded lady of professional sports! A franchise owned by all the other teams! No home to call their own for 3 years straight! Ladies and gentlemen, YOUR LES EXPOS!"

:KW
"Gee whiz, boss. We should have charged a premium on seats for that home series we hosted last season. That was truly a once-in-a-lifetime ticket!"

Soxzilla
11-07-2004, 12:50 PM
So if they get this all settled, will they be playing in RFK next year?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2004, 12:54 PM
So if they get this all settled, will they be playing in RFK next year?
Yes, but only if the terms for building a NEW future ballpark are agreed to. The city wants to build across the street from RFK, and this is AGAINST the agreement in principle that MLB signed with D.C.

There is some real nervousness in D.C. whether this could quash the entire deal.

"They OUGHT to be worried. We let them sit and rot for 33 years. What's another one or two to us?"

RKMeibalane
11-07-2004, 12:59 PM
This situation is living proof of something that myself and others have believed for a long time...

Major League Baseball needs to GET A REAL COMISSIONER!

Lip Man 1
11-07-2004, 02:07 PM
I like the name Nationals very much since they are in the nation's capital as well as in trhe National league.

Lip

Daver
11-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I think they should have a name that reflects on the ownership of the team.

The Washington Carpetbaggers.

Brian26
11-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I like the name Nationals very much since they are in the nation's capital as well as in trhe National league.

Lip
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like it also. Although, I'm not sure how cool a jersey would look with "Nationals" across the chest in cursive.

FarWestChicago
11-07-2004, 02:36 PM

The Washington Carpetbaggers.Or the "commissioner" that made it all happen:

The Washington Tools

That has a nice ring to it.

RichFitztightly
11-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Man, I was hoping for the Washington Generals.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2004, 02:41 PM

Yep. There but for the Grace of God goes the franchise formerly known as the Chicago White Sox.

:reinsy
"Anyone who thinks the Expos have been the worst-managed franchise simply hasn't been paying very close attention."

:ohno
"Some of us have been paying attention, Jerry. Not all of us, of course."

santo=dorf
11-07-2004, 02:49 PM
I recall reading someone posting that a sports radio show in D.C. suggested the "Blue Sox" because we already have the Red, and White Sox.

illinibk
11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like it also. Although, I'm not sure how cool a jersey would look with "Nationals" across the chest in cursive.
Well they could make it look sort of like this, without the collar of course.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online%5Fexhibits/dressed%5Fto%5Fthe%5Fnines/images/al_1906_washington.gif

Though I think I would like this better, if they said "Nationals" instead of "Senators"

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online%5Fexhibits/dressed%5Fto%5Fthe%5Fnines/images/al_1966_washington.gif

JKryl
11-07-2004, 11:02 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that this is a virtual lock. Senators and Grays are still being considered, but they want to get this done asap to have hat and jerseys on sale for the holiday season. I guess different jersey designs and logos for each team name are already complete.
Hmmm, sounds like they set a crack team of top level thinkers on this one. Anyone been keeping track of Bud lately. Oh, yes, just who is going to own this team? Didn't the NL owners buy the Expos to quiet the ownership?

JKryl
11-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Or the "commissioner" that made it all happen:

The Washington Tools

That has a nice ring to it.
Washington Tools??? I like it!! :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Clembasbal
11-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I like, "Washington Bullets"

But Nationals is good too.

34 Inch Stick
11-08-2004, 11:42 AM

I prefer the Conflicts of Interest.

The Critic
11-08-2004, 12:26 PM
First thing I thought of is the nickname...
"The Nats".
As in "Pats" for Patriots.
...UGH....that's vomitous...

Nick@Nite
11-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Soxzilla, if this thing gets done, they'll play in RFK until 2008. And PHG is right when he said they're some real nervousness whether MLB in D.C. will become reality.

My question (especially for those living out here) is how to sign up for season tickets. I realize that the stadium issue has muddied the waters, but has there been an announcement yet? This link Expos' Schedule Is Subject To Change (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5702-2004Oct28.html) only said an announcement would "almost certainly be made by early next week". That was last week. Anyone heard anything?

longshot7
11-08-2004, 01:57 PM
I like the Washington WMD's. That would scare people.

doublem23
11-08-2004, 06:40 PM
My pick for the D.C. franchise's name next year... Montreal Expos. :bandance:

ondafarm
11-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I recall reading someone posting that a sports radio show in D.C. suggested the "Blue Sox" because we already have the Red, and White Sox.
Utica, New York previously had an independent minor league team called the "Blue Sox"

Fenway
11-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Gammons was just on WEEI and said that yesterday the Expos have picked up their option to play at Stade Olympique in 2005 just in case.

The Washington deal is imploding from all accounts

Brian26
11-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Gammons was just on WEEI and said that yesterday the Expos have picked up their option to play at Stade Olympique in 2005 just in case.

This is unbelievable and pathetic.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2004, 01:39 PM
It's no different from the politics that got involved in the Sox deal. Remember the 'board' was composed of two of Jim Thompson's friends and two of Harold Washington's friends. It was absolute gridlock.

Politics also got involved in the sense that Washington's board members adamently refused to consider any potential stadium locations outside of the city of Chicago border.

Somehow they were able to overcome this probably because Thompson had more political clout around the state then Washington.

It would be a shame and disgrace if Washington politics and short sightedness exploded a deal that would be good for baseball and baseball fans in D.C. simply because of the 'location' of a new stadium.

Lip

Fenway
11-10-2004, 01:44 PM
It still maybe a moot point. A judge will rule on December 6th on the pending RICO case against Selig and Loria.

I have a feeling Youppi! will still have a job come April.

DSpivack
11-10-2004, 04:15 PM
First thing I thought of is the nickname...
"The Nats".
As in "Pats" for Patriots.
...UGH....that's vomitous...Either you're good or know your sports history.

There used to be a NBA team in Syracuse called the Nationals. None other than Johnny Red Kerr played for 'em. Their nickname was the Nats. They moved to Philly and became the 76ers in 1963. Their owner came up with the idea for the shot clock. (http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/syracuse/nats.html)

Fenway
11-10-2004, 04:40 PM
The Senators were OFFICIALY known as the Nationals from 1901-1956

After the 1899 season, the Washington Senators of the National League folded in the 12-8 contraction, when the American League began play in 1901 Washington, not wanting to confuse fans with the previous franchise, called themselves the Nationals. However, the fans never took to the name and called them the Senators. In 1912, when Griffith was named manager, newspaper writers referred to them as the 'Grifs'. In the early 1950s the team changed logos to one incorporating 'NATIONALS' within it, after the fans continued to reject the name they were officially renamed Senators in 1956.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/wasdc/nats.html

This is one of the baseball cards my mom threw out
http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/56topps/56topps-146.jpg

Either you're good or know your sports history.

There used to be a NBA team in Syracuse called the Nationals. None other than Johnny Red Kerr played for 'em. Their nickname was the Nats. They moved to Philly and became the 76ers in 1963. Their owner came up with the idea for the shot clock. (http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/syracuse/nats.html)

Railsplitter
11-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Regarding the porposed name for the Washington team, "Nationals" has a distinct lack of creativity. "Red Tapes" might not be too bad.

As for a possible return to Montreal regarding a screw-up, that leads me to belive MLB stand for Morons Leading Baseball.

DSpivack
11-12-2004, 02:50 AM
The Senators were OFFICIALY known as the Nationals from 1901-1956

After the 1899 season, the Washington Senators of the National League folded in the 12-8 contraction, when the American League began play in 1901 Washington, not wanting to confuse fans with the previous franchise, called themselves the Nationals. However, the fans never took to the name and called them the Senators. In 1912, when Griffith was named manager, newspaper writers referred to them as the 'Grifs'. In the early 1950s the team changed logos to one incorporating 'NATIONALS' within it, after the fans continued to reject the name they were officially renamed Senators in 1956.
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/wasdc/nats.html

This is one of the baseball cards my mom threw out
http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/56topps/56topps-146.jpg
Always love hearing about sports history...thanks!

Fenway
11-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Expos hire Ticketmaster

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/11/12/washington_bound_expos_hire_ticket_agency/

The team will start accepting season ticket deposits next Thursday, although fans can get a head start by registering their interest through the team's Web site. Seating and pricing structures for RFK Stadium have yet to be set, but average ticket prices are expected to range from $24 to $26, with reserved seats starting as low as $7.