PDA

View Full Version : How about Leiter?

FightingBillini
11-05-2004, 07:24 PM
ESPN reported that Al Leiter filed for provisional free agency today. That means that after the Mets turn down his $10mil option, he will become a free agent. I personally think he would be a great fit. He still has his stuff. He has a pretty good ground/flyball ratio. He clearly wants to win - he turned down the $10mil from the Mets becuase they blow. He wont get nearly $10mil anywhere else. He is 39. What do you guys think about bringing him in for 1 year at $5mil? 2 years at $8mil? I dont know what he would be asking, but I personally think we should sign him if the price is right. He is a great gut, and he has a great mind for the game. He isnt a power pitcher, he just knows how to pitch.

jabrch
11-05-2004, 07:27 PM
ESPN reported that Al Leiter filed for provisional free agency today. That means that after the Mets turn down his $10mil option, he will become a free agent. I personally think he would be a great fit. He still has his stuff. He has a pretty good ground/flyball ratio. He clearly wants to win - he turned down the $10mil from the Mets becuase they blow. He wont get nearly $10mil anywhere else. He is 39. What do you guys think about bringing him in for 1 year at $5mil? 2 years at $8mil? I dont know what he would be asking, but I personally think we should sign him if the price is right. He is a great gut, and he has a great mind for the game. He isnt a power pitcher, he just knows how to pitch.
I'd be happy to have him in our rotation.

soxfan26
11-05-2004, 07:41 PM
In other news the Yanks declined Leiber's option

The Cardinals declined Woody Williams' option and Matt Morris filed for free agency.

I'll take any of those four.

mdep524
11-05-2004, 08:16 PM
I've always liked Al Leiter, so I think this is a great opportunity for the Sox. Say this about the available pitchers this offseason- there are plenty more good options this year than last year.

Rand Johnson
Brad Radke
Al Leiter
Oakland's Big Three
Carl Pavano
Javier Vazquez
Odalis Perez
Derek Lowe

...plenty of very good starting pitchers- and good fits for the Sox- might be available, so I hope KW doesn't fall back on lesser options like Eric Milton or Russ Ortiz. :(:

Ol' No. 2
11-05-2004, 10:24 PM
I've always liked Al Leiter, so I think this is a great opportunity for the Sox. Say this about the available pitchers this offseason- there are plenty more good options this year than last year.

Rand Johnson
Brad Radke
Al Leiter
Oakland's Big Three
Carl Pavano
Javier Vazquez
Odalis Perez
Derek Lowe

...plenty of very good starting pitchers- and good fits for the Sox- might be available, so I hope KW doesn't fall back on lesser options like Eric Milton or Russ Ortiz. :(:Leiter wouldn't be bad. He's kind of a Greg Maddux - good while he's out there, but he doesn't give you a lot of innings. He pitched only 173 innings last year in 30 starts. His BB and pitch count is trending upward, too. Not a lot of quality starts because he's below 6 IP/GS. What he lacks in quantity he makes up in quality. He's been below 4.0 ERA for 5 years running and 8 of the last 10. Better make sure you have some solid middle relief if you get Leiter, though. Not a Sox strength.:(:

Daver
11-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Rand Johnson
Brad Radke
Al Leiter
Oakland's Big Three
Carl Pavano
Javier Vazquez
Odalis Perez
Derek Lowe

...plenty of very good starting pitchers- and good fits for the Sox- might be available, so I hope KW doesn't fall back on lesser options like Eric Milton or Russ Ortiz. :(:Randy Johnson is due 16 mil for next season.

Ol' No. 2
11-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Randy Johnson is due 16 mil for next season.But $6M is deferred, so the cost for 2005 would be only $10M. Don't know how long, but the contract was signed before the current CBA.

Jerome
11-06-2004, 12:26 AM
I would love Al Leiter. He would certainly take starts away from Matt Ginter. Then hopefully in a couple years we can get him into our awful TV booth, because I thought he did a pretty good job on Fox.

Daver
11-06-2004, 12:47 AM
But $6M is deferred, so the cost for 2005 would be only $10M. Don't know how long, but the contract was signed before the current CBA.
You can't trade a long term deferrment, the team that trades for it is subject to the current CBA agreement. Defferments on the books for the specific team are exempt.

Mickster
11-06-2004, 10:32 AM
You can't trade a long term deferrment, the team that trades for it is subject to the current CBA agreement. Defferments on the books for the specific team are exempt.
Was that the case when Griffy's name was being shopped around by Cincy? I believe that since the K was signed under the old CBA, it rules. I could be mistaken, though.... :dunno:

Chisoxfn
11-06-2004, 11:37 AM
A few days back I saw the Mets and Leiter were close to agreeing on a contract that would keep him in New York the rest of his career. It was for like 4 million a year.

Saw it on sportscenter or something.

34 Inch Stick
11-06-2004, 02:34 PM
If that were the case why would he turn down the 10 million. It would take a fairly long contract at a preety good per annum for him to make up the 1 year balloon.

wdelaney72
11-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I don't know if Al Leiter would work out. After all, in the 2003 playoffs, he was on TV showing the world how he threw the different types of pitches. His secret is out.

Bisco Stu
11-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Al's my favorite active pitcher in MLB. Although I want him to remain with the Mets, if he were to go anywhere, of course, I'd want it to be with the Sox.

Al's more of a NL pitcher, though, not sure how he'd adjust.