PDA

View Full Version : White Sox personality poll

32nd&Wallace
11-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Here's a personality poll: Who on this current team has the best sense of humor, who has the most brains, who is the stupidest, who is the nicest biggest jerk. My vote:

Funniest:
Buhrle (very dry sense of humor) :tongue:

Smartest:
Kelly Wunsch, if still on the roster, if not Buhrle

Stupidest:
Garland :?:

Nicest:
Magglio :smile:

Biggest jerk:
Garland wins again! :angry:

santo=dorf
11-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Funniest: Ozzie the Clown

Smartest: Shingo (I remember someone posting that he went to a really good Japanese college)

Dumbest: Carlos Lee

Nicest: Buehrle

Jerk: Garland

SaltyPretzel
11-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Buhrle (very dry sense of humor) :tongue:

In regards to your dry sense of humor comment, a few of my friends were sitting in the first row behind the Sox dugout when one of my friends reached into his pocket to pull out money for a beer. A gust of wind blew his $20 into the Sox dugout. He yelled for it, but didn't get it back. The Sox won the game, and when the players came out to congratulate each other, Buhrle had the folded $20 sticking out of the back of his hat.

:tongue:

mweflen
11-05-2004, 02:27 PM
so did he give him back the 20, or what?:o:

SaltyPretzel
11-05-2004, 02:37 PM
so did he give him back the 20, or what?:o:
Nope!

mweflen
11-05-2004, 02:50 PM
I've actually met these players at Sox Fest VIP events. The events took place at ESPN Zone with sponsors (my dad's company is one, he sent me in his place two years in a row). Here are my thoughts:

Harold Baines - actually very friendly, just a tad shy. Likes talking about his family.

Ozzie Guillen - Very gregarious and friendly. Just seems like his personality. Wanted to hug everybody. A little tipsy maybe? :gulp:

Joey Cora - Nice, quiet.

Magglio Ordonez - Gracious with fans, a little distant, possibly a language thing. BUILT.

Joe Crede - Extremely humble and easy to approach. Maybe too humble, given his issues in 2004? Mentioned how the MLB season is very tiring and a grind compared to AAA.

Aaron Rowand - Total meathead - In a good way :D: . Wanted to play games at ESPN Zone more than any other player. Very competitive. Shoots hoops pretty well. Good pals with Crede.

Paul Konerko - Kind of preoccupied with his Fiance. Couldn't blame him.

Kelly Wunsch - by FAR the friendliest and most down to earth of the group. Jokey, friendly, gracious. Awesome guy, love him to death.

Jon Garland - A little spacy, but nice enough. Played the bowling game with him, he got into it. He barely came back to beat me at the end.

Mark Beuhrle - Kind of a loner - drinking a beer by his lonesome. Kind of annoyed by "do you want to be traded" questions. Nice though.

Esteban Loaiza - Seemed very nice.

Miguel Olivo - Ditto - good friends with E-Lo.

Willie Harris - Total jerk. Thinks he's all that.

Jose Valentin - Much as I admire him as a player, he came off a little high and mighty. Wasn't impressed by his personality.

Sandy Alomar - Very friendly.

All in all, outside Willie and Jose, everybody was cool.

Tekijawa
11-05-2004, 03:03 PM
I remember at sox fest last year he signed Autographs for everyone even after he had been at his table for X ammount of hours... He was very nice, too bad he hit a few bumps there at the end.

SaltyPretzel
11-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Jon Garland - A little spacy, but nice enough. Played the bowling game with him, he got into it. He barely came back to beat me at the end.

He bowled all strikes the first 5 frames, then proceeded to throw four straight gutter balls. :rolleyes:

SoxFan76
11-05-2004, 03:10 PM
That surprised me. I always knew he was the loud guy in the locker room--tends to talk too much and can't really back it up, but I never thought of him as a "jerk".

bafiarocks03
11-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Funniest: ok yea Buerhrle wins that one!

Smartest: Valentin

Stupidest: Borchard! haha!

Nicest: Aaron Rowand (i got good times with him):D:

Biggest Jerk: Jon Garland

wdelaney72
11-05-2004, 03:21 PM
I know this was supposed to be limited to current players, but I'd like to vote for D'angelo Jimenez as the dumbest player in my memory to wear a Sox uniform.

I don't really think Carlos Lee is dumb. He just seems to have kind of a goofy smile. I wish he'd be in front of the camera a little more.

I think Frank Thomas is the dumbest player on the team. I know he gets misrepresented and beat up by the local media, but still, the guy can't help but consistently say STUPID stuff. He has a million dollar smile, he's a great player, and if he would have played his cards a little better, he could have owned this city.

bafiarocks03
11-05-2004, 03:23 PM

OMG! Are you kidding me!? Willie Harris is one of the nicest down to earth guys on the team!!!!! I've met hima couple of times and he is soo nice! I asked the guy for a hug and i got one! :D: OH man that was a GREAT day! anyway you are soo wrong! He doesn't think he's all that!! and same with Jose! He's awesome too! I've met him many times! and he loves to goof around and he's always out signing autographs everywhere! Ok so don't talk about my willie like that!

bafiarocks03
11-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I know this was supposed to be limited to current players, but I'd like to vote for D'angelo Jimenez as the dumbest player in my memory to wear a Sox uniform.
ok now you've made me have to make another post! You guys all know how i feel about D'Angelo! He is not the dumbest player to ever wear a sox uniform!! He was a good player! ok so he's not the best player, that don't matter! He's better now! He's starting to become an awesome player for the Reds!

JKryl
11-05-2004, 03:27 PM
I've actually met these players at Sox Fest VIP events. The events took place at ESPN Zone with sponsors (my dad's company is one, he sent me in his place two years in a row). Here are my thoughts:

Harold Baines - actually very friendly, just a tad shy. Likes talking about his family.

Ozzie Guillen - Very gregarious and friendly. Just seems like his personality. Wanted to hug everybody. A little tipsy maybe? :gulp:

Joey Cora - Nice, quiet.

Magglio Ordonez - Gracious with fans, a little distant, possibly a language thing. BUILT.

Joe Crede - Extremely humble and easy to approach. Maybe too humble, given his issues in 2004? Mentioned how the MLB season is very tiring and a grind compared to AAA.

Aaron Rowand - Total meathead - In a good way :D: . Wanted to play games at ESPN Zone more than any other player. Very competitive. Shoots hoops pretty well. Good pals with Crede.

Paul Konerko - Kind of preoccupied with his Fiance. Couldn't blame him.

Kelly Wunsch - by FAR the friendliest and most down to earth of the group. Jokey, friendly, gracious. Awesome guy, love him to death.

Mark Beuhrle - Kind of a loner - drinking a beer by his lonesome. Kind of annoyed by "do you want to be traded" questions. Nice though.

Miguel Olivo - Ditto - good friends with E-Lo.

Jose Valentin - Much as I admire him as a player, he came off a little high and mighty. Wasn't impressed by his personality.

Sandy Alomar - Very friendly.

I notice you didn't mention Frank.

JKryl
11-05-2004, 03:33 PM
My vote:

Funniest:
Ozzie

Smartest:
Probably Shingo, but I don't think any will ever become Mensa members

Stupidest:
Frank

Nicest:
Wunsch

Biggest jerk:
Frank

pinwheels3530
11-05-2004, 03:49 PM

I don't really think Carlos Lee is dumb. He just seems to have kind of a goofy smile. I wish he'd be in front of the camera a little more.

I think Frank Thomas is the dumbest player on the team. I know he gets misrepresented and beat up by the local media, but still, the guy can't help but consistently say STUPID stuff. He has a million dollar smile, he's a great player, and if he would have played his cards a little better, he could have owned this city.

Your a Thomas hater!:tongue:

mweflen
11-05-2004, 03:53 PM
I notice you didn't mention Frank.Never met him in person. He never attended the VIP events. My sister met him, says he's real nice, has a good picture with him.

As for Willie - Hey, I can only speak for my experience with him. He came off extremely cocky and smug. My girlfriend tried joking around with him, and he was a jerk.

Jose might have just been out of it. I guess he had just flown in from Puerto Rico. I love the way he plays (if not the way he swings the bat...)

Oh, I forgot to mention meeting Jerry Manuel and Ken Williams.

Manuel was super cool, calm to the point of coma. PErfectly friendly guy.

KW was approachable and pretty nice, but definitely had an air of self importance, like "I'm a great guy for talking with fans." (pats self on back).

mweflen
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM
He bowled all strikes the first 5 frames, then proceeded to throw four straight gutter balls. :rolleyes:Actually, SaltyPretzel, his style was kind of haphazard in the first few frames, then he seemed to improve and pick it up. He said it was pretty similar to pitching, just trying to get the physical repetition down.

Konerko was pretty good at the hockey booth, but the friend I brought with me was getting past him with slapshots. This was before the 03 season - maybe it got into his head being beat by a 20 year old kid? :?:

I also met Herbert Perry and Bob Howry. Great guys, both. Sad to see 'em go.

Magglios_Girl
11-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Funniest:
OZZIE!!! :roflmao:

Smartest:
Buehrle :sunshine:

Stupidest:
Garland :kukoo:

Nicest:
Buehrle :cool:

Biggest jerk:
Garland :cuss:

Hosey22
11-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I've got to say that Frank is one of the nicest guys around when it comes to the way he treats fans. Always staying around to make sure every fan gets an autograph or a picture and always very conversational. Buerhle does seem to be a bit of a goof, but is a nice guy. Kelly is definitly the smartest. A buddy of mine used to play minor league ball with him and said he always knew what he was doing, and was carryin around ny times crosswords. Garland does seem to be the least intelligent of the bunch, but he's not a bad guy. Harold is extremely nice and conversational, even if he is usually quieter. One guy I never seem to hear of or see outside of ballgames is Marte, always keeps a low-profile. I don't even remember seeing many comments from him in the paper or anything. Seems to keep private very well.

LAWSfan
11-05-2004, 08:53 PM
This is my opinion of all the Sox players I have met.

Joe Borchard has to be the smartest. He's about a year from graduating from Stanford. A real nice guy. Will sign autographs all day long.

Carlos Lee. I've always found him to be great. I had a Baseball America and he signed it then he told everybody else I have to go. One other time he was signing and he said I have to go but he stopped and signed a card for me. Real nice guy.

Maggs. Hot and cold. Sometimes he will sign all day. Other's he won't give you the time of day.

Frank. Inside the park he's one of the best. He'll sign for like 30 mins. After the games he can be difficult but when he does stop and sign he will stay for awhile.

Sandy Alomar. A great guy. Will talk to you and will sign everything you have.

Rowand. Jerk. Full of himself. I've seen him cuss out a ten year old kid.

All the coaches are nice, expect Santana and now he's not here.

Magglios_Girl
11-05-2004, 10:26 PM
One guy I never seem to hear of or see outside of ballgames is Marte, always keeps a low-profile. I don't even remember seeing many comments from him in the paper or anything. Seems to keep private very well.
I met Marte once. He's a nice guy. I've seen him talking to fans/signing baseball a couple of times. He also gave my familiy free tickets last season :D: .

Rowand. Jerk. Full of himself. I've seen him cuss out a ten year old kid.
Wow when did this happen?

jake27
11-06-2004, 02:57 AM
well this is what i think of some of the players i have come in contact w/

Rowand: Seemed really nice and funny. At Fuji Day was picking up kids for pictures and playing with them. Asked me if "Burkie" has seen my jersey (I wear a Jamie Burke jersery to games). At SoxFest, while autographing a card of mine, he told me to ask Greg Walker if he "was connected" (the picture was Rowand about to hit the ball), so whatever that means.

Loaiza: (I don't know if he counts but he was on the team this past year so I'll count it) Extremely nice. ALWAYS signed autogrpahs. After games, even if there is a big crowd, he will sign every autograph. He even rolled down the back window so we could say hi to his kid.

Cotts: Seems kind of weird. Signed autographs after a game in old school golding apperal. Signed for everyone though.

Adkins: Was with Cotts when he was signing autogtaphs outside the players parking lot after the game. Just sat in the car and did nothing for 10 minutes. Didn't respong to people talking to him.

Burke: Seemed a little weirded out when I showed him my Burke jersey at Fuji film day. But now I wave to him wheneve rI see him and he seems to reconize me back and waves back.

Konerko: He stops to sign autographs a lot after games. Thats all I know about him.

Crede: Seemed nice at SoxFest, shy though.

D.J.: I know hes not a player but was nice at SoxFest.

KW: Signed an autograph going to his car after a game despite carrying some golf clubs and a cell phone in his hand.

Buehrle: I don't know, heard he was funny, always signs autographs through the mail though.

Lee: Seems really nice... to an extent. Really friendly with the ladies. I know someone whos friend gave Carlos her # after he asked her. He left a message on her answering machine. She never called back though. (Doesn't he have a wife?)

Garcia: A family friend was on Spring Break in Arizona during Spring Training and met Freddy at a party. They talked a lot according to her, she also said Freddy was wasted.

pinwheels3530
11-06-2004, 03:38 AM
I met Rowand at Connies Pizza a couple of years ago. He was stopping by as a guest for a score radio show. Seemed pretty nice likes to drink :gulp:a few beers. He is a huge Bears fan.

LAWSfan
11-06-2004, 04:25 AM
As a general rule I've found that when players are appearing at things like Sox Fest, a store autograph signing etc they are usually nicer there than they are at the stadium, after the game or just out in public.

I saw the White Sox in Oakland last year and after the game this kid who couldn't be more than 10 asked Rowand to autograph a ball. The kid said please and wasn't pushy or rude. Rowand said "Get that **** out of my face" (I put those **** there but people can figure out the words). That's no way for a player to treat a kid.

I don't have any kids and that kid wasn't a relative. Just a kid who wanted to get an autograph. Good thing that the kid's father didn't hear Rowand say that to his kid, he's one of those crazy Raider fans you see on TV.