PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports that Wally Backman was fired

thecell
11-05-2004, 12:04 PM
ESPN reports that Wally Backman was fired. I don't have a link yet. I'll post when one is available.

samram
11-05-2004, 12:06 PM
I had heard that the DBacks had some big announcement this afternoon, and this makes sense. Sounds like Wally has some problems.

thecell
11-05-2004, 12:07 PM
I had heard that the DBacks had some big announcement this afternoon, and this makes sense. Sounds like Wally has some problems.
Yeah, it probably has to do with the arrests that surfaced after he was hired. Thank God the Sox never hired him.

Rocklive99
11-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Yep, it is now on the little breaking news square of ESPNEWS. Actually now they just took it off, but it said "Backman out, Melvin (I think?) in for Dbacks"

Irishsox1
11-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Where is the Chicago Tribune now!!!!!! The write a article blasting the Sox for not hiring this guy and look now. The Chicago Tribune flat out sucks!!

mantis1212
11-05-2004, 12:20 PM
I kinda feel bad for the guy now. It's not like he lied to them- they never asked those questions...

The Critic
11-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Wow, he wasn't even around long enough to blame his firing on injuries!
:D:

Foulke You
11-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Wow...that might be the shortest managing career ever! Glad we went with Ozzie. Backman sounds like he could have been trouble for the clubhouse.

ChiSox14305635
11-05-2004, 12:35 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/ncf/2001/1209/photo/a_oleary_hi.jpg

WHEW! Finally off the hook. Thanks Wally!

soxfan26
11-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Here is the story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1916771) from ESPN.com

Completely unrelated but Backman has one of the ugliest grills I have ever seen. :redneck

Tekijawa
11-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Maybe this isn't a bad thing for him, in the article it said he filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I bet the Diamondbacks have hired him as CFO because of his past experience with this? :D:

Hangar18
11-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Thats BS. They didnt ask the guy the right questions, and
all of that was in the past. Main question should be, Can he do the Job?
I feel bad for him ........

Hangar18
11-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah, it probably has to do with the arrests that surfaced after he was hired. Thank God the Sox never hired him.
Someone in the media was bored this week ..........

santo=dorf
11-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Where is the Chicago Tribune now!!!!!! The write a article blasting the Sox for not hiring this guy and look now. The Chicago Tribune flat out sucks!!:knue
"Don't worry. Tomorrow on chicagosports.com, we'll talk about Sox fan Wally Backman's personal problems, and comapre them to William Ligue Jr.'s. And you Sox fans say the Tribune is bias and doesn't cover the Sox."

Clembasbal
11-05-2004, 01:18 PM
:knue
"Don't worry. Tomorrow on chicagosports.com, we'll talk about Sox fan Wally Backman's personal problems, and comapre them to William Ligue Jr.'s. And you Sox fans say the Tribune is bias and doesn't cover the Sox."

Actually, Moronatti will try and find out if he had these problems with the White Sox. Then blame it on the Sox, just like he blamed Cordova's chair throwing epsiode on the White Sox.

Backman is a jerk, he tried to get Manuel fired. Manuel deserved to be fired, but the guy didn't have to talk crap about the organization while he was working with them. He is a bad employee and a jerk.

Karma baby.

dpbyron
11-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Remember how KW kept saying "I'll shut my mouth and take the high road last year?" He obviously knew all about this garbage....

mdep524
11-05-2004, 01:33 PM
:moron
"If only Jerry Reinsdorf had built a park with a better upper deck, this whole tragedy would have been avoided. Chalk up another baseball casualty to Reinsdorf's egoism and cheapness. More reason for Chicagoans to avoid the White Sox like the plague."

BeerHandle
11-05-2004, 01:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/11/05/backman.fired.ap/index.html

thepaulbowski
11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I have a hard time finding sympathy for people who plead guilty to a "physical altercation" with their wife.

longshot7
11-05-2004, 02:11 PM
"The decision to oust Backman so quickly came after revelations that he had twice been arrested and suffered from financial problems."

The arrests we can handle - but the financial problems??

"YOU'RE FIRED!!!"

Jjav829
11-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Remember how KW kept saying "I'll shut my mouth and take the high road last year?" He obviously knew all about this garbage....
No kidding. Somewhere Kenny is sitting back laughing and feeling vindicated.

Dolanski
11-05-2004, 02:22 PM
After last year's debockle over him being the new manager here, I am not surprised that he got the ax. He seemed a bit sleazy after last years blow up over his comments to Ron Gardenhire to beat the Sox so he could get the job. Now its pretty much confirmed...

Note to self: if you are up for a job that involves public and media scrutiny, it is best to disclose your troubles up front before the skeletons in your closet get you.

Baby Fisk
11-05-2004, 02:35 PM
:hawk

"He gawn! ...Mercy!"

LAWSfan
11-05-2004, 03:44 PM
So if there is a teacher who was sent to jail for hitting a student and he gets another job as a teacher but the school doesn't ask him those questions, the school shouldn't fire him? No way. It's good that he was fired. Yes the DBacks should have done a better job doing a background check. But the DBacks did the right thing in firing him.

The money problems I can handle. Everybody has them. But not everybody has been arrested.

Flight #24
11-05-2004, 03:59 PM
So if there is a teacher who was sent to jail for hitting a student and he gets another job as a teacher but the school doesn't ask him those questions, the school shouldn't fire him? No way. It's good that he was fired. Yes the DBacks should have done a better job doing a background check. But the DBacks did the right thing in firing him.

The money problems I can handle. Everybody has them. But not everybody has been arrested.
Like it or not, the manager is the public face of the franchise, more so for a rebuilding team. When that face is one that people associate with abuse, arrest, & other such things, that's.....not good.

DrCrawdad
11-05-2004, 05:14 PM
That whooshing sound? That was the sound of Backman's future MLB managerial career disappearing.

You wonder though what a background check on Billy Martin would have turned up?

jackbrohamer
11-05-2004, 05:29 PM
You wonder though what a background check on Billy Martin would have turned up?
Seriously. The Yankees didn't seem to mind that the "public face" for their team was a raging alcoholic who routinely was involved in bar fights. They only seemed to mind when he got drunk and slammed Steinbrenner or Reggie.

misty60481
11-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Billy Martin never tried to hide his problems--he almost always had winning teams even thru all the scrapes. Who knows maybe Backman could have gotten more out of the Sox when they did there late summer swoon----

LAWSfan
11-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Seriously. The Yankees didn't seem to mind that the "public face" for their team was a raging alcoholic who routinely was involved in bar fights. They only seemed to mind when he got drunk and slammed Steinbrenner or Reggie.
We are also talking about a different time 70's and 80's. Things change. Times change.

Brian26
11-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a hard time finding sympathy for people who plead guilty to a "physical altercation" with their wife.
Tell that to Chuck Finley :D:

Brian26
11-05-2004, 08:35 PM
No kidding. Somewhere Kenny is sitting back laughing and feeling vindicated.
I'm not one that takes pleasure in kicking a guy when he is down, but I have no sympathy for him for one reason- he ****ed the White Sox over last year with his comments to the Twins and Gardenhire, hoping the Twins would kick our asses so he would get the job when Ghandi was fired. Screw him. It was a bs move on his part to root against the organization that was paying his salary.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Brian:

Backman denies those claims and said he told Williams the same thing. Kenny refuses to comment on the matter so who knows what the truth is.

Lip

Dolanski
11-05-2004, 09:33 PM
We are also talking about a different time 70's and 80's. Things change. Times change.

They didn't call them the Bronx Zoo for nothing...

Brian26
11-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Brian:

Backman denies those claims and said he told Williams the same thing. Kenny refuses to comment on the matter so who knows what the truth is.

Lip
Hmm. Wasn't aware of the Backman denial. Seems like it was gospel last Fall when it first came out. Oh well.

Lip Man 1
11-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Before Backman's interview with the Sox was cancelled he (Wally) said he spoke with Williams by phone and discussed that situation with him.

That's all I know.

Lip

Foulke You
11-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Before Backman's interview with the Sox was cancelled he (Wally) said he spoke with Williams by phone and discussed that situation with him.

That's all I know.

Lip
Lip, correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't it Gardenhire who originally broke the story that Backman had called him to tell him to kick the crap out of the Sox so he could get Manuel's job? If I recall the story correctly, Gardenhire refused to comment about it after the Chicago media got wind of the story and printed it. Gardenhire's silence after initially telling the Backman story was enough for me to pass judgment on Wally Backman. Why would Gardenhire initially lie about Backman calling him and then not speak to the media about it to quell his supposed friend's controversey?

Lip Man 1
11-07-2004, 02:11 PM
I believe that one of the Twins coaches made that claim to a Minnesota newspaper and Gardenhire denied it.

I don't know that for a fact but I seem to remember reading it that way.

Lip

Brian26
11-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I believe that one of the Twins coaches made that claim to a Minnesota newspaper and Gardenhire denied it.

I don't know that for a fact but I seem to remember reading it that way.

Lip
This is the problem with you being in Idaho and most of us being in Chicago :D:

I'm 99% sure I read in the Tribune last year the entire debacle. Gardenhire was quoted and admitted that Backman had called him with those well-wishes, and Kenny followed it up with, "I'll take the high road on this, but that's not something we appreciate in this organization." Backman's services were terminated within a few weeks of this.

A. Cavatica
11-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Even with this, I'd take him over Ozzie.

Heaven forbid we go with a manager whose teams post gaudy W-L records.

duke of dorwood
11-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Look at all the Alleged wife beaters that made big $ playing-also I think there was a sex offenfer that played with the A's & Yankmees-not to mention countless drug users. Why this guy?