PDA

View Full Version : Sox TV through the years poll

Sox-on-TV44
11-05-2004, 10:51 AM
When it came to Sox coverage over the years,of which of these stations (free TV or Cable) did you think had (or have) the best Sox coverage over the years?

Looking at my screen name,you know my vote!

JKryl
11-07-2004, 10:43 PM
When it came to Sox coverage over the years,of which of these stations (free TV or Cable) did you think had (or have) the best Sox coverage over the years?

Now that I see all 10 subscribers to Sports Vision have voted (they must be JR's relatives), I entered my vote to my own favorite, and it wasn't SV.
:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Fenway
11-07-2004, 10:52 PM
I am from Boston so ...........

I also work in the TV biz

The White Sox changed the rules when they signed with WFLD ( with Jack Drees doing play by play ) and made other teams rethink TV ( most notably Boston )

UHF WOULD work the White Sox proved it

By the same token the horrific move of the White Sox to SportsVision in 1982 lost an entire generation of viewers to the WS. By the time Chicago was wired for cable the shift to the free TV Cubs was complete. ( Harry was a big part of it )

Now if JR is considering selling the team to Comcast ( as being reported on WIP Philadelphia ) things may improve.

beckett21
11-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Now if JR is considering selling the team to Comcast ( as being reported on WIP Philadelphia ) things may improve.
Ummm....

Wanna run that part by me again?

Fenway
11-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Ummm....

Wanna run that part by me again?
thats the rumor out of Philly ( where Comcast is based )

Comcast owns the Flyers and Sixers so it is something that can not be dismissed

beckett21
11-07-2004, 11:04 PM

Comcast owns the Flyers and Sixers so it is something that can not be dismissed:o: ....

:selljerry

OEO Magglio
11-07-2004, 11:14 PM
:o: ....

I second this :o: Can you elaborate a little fenway, I'm kinda lost.

Fenway
11-07-2004, 11:17 PM
I second this :o: Can you elaborate a little fenway, I'm kinda lost.
All I can report is that Comcast has made an inquiry on the possibilty of buying the White Sox and JR has NOT dismissed the idea. That is all I can say

BUT WIP in Philly reported it this morning as well.

santo=dorf
11-07-2004, 11:33 PM
All I can report is that Comcast has made an inquiry on the possibilty of buying the White Sox and JR has NOT dismissed the idea. That is all I can say

Thanks for the info fenway!
Could someone please put together a "buy Comcast buy!" image? :D:

SpartanSoxFan
11-07-2004, 11:45 PM

Channel 44? What exactly happened to that channel? Was it vaporized a few decades ago??? :redneck

TornLabrum
11-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Channel 44? What exactly happened to that channel? Was it vaporized a few decades ago??? :redneck
You are obviously not a fan of Sabado Gigante and Spanish-language soap operas.

DumpJerry
11-08-2004, 12:45 AM
STOP THE PRESSES!!!! FENWAY IS REPORTING THAT THE YEARS OF TYRANNY MIGHT END??????????:D:

Ok....breath..in and out.....in and out.......

Tell yourself, it is just a rumor......rumor......we must not get too excited....wait for reality.....

Hey Fenway, what is it you do in the television industry? Are you in a position to have inside knowledge of this? You live in Bean Town, how do you know what Philly is reporting?

Win1ForMe
11-08-2004, 01:37 AM

BUT WIP in Philly reported it this morning as well.I may be in the minority here, but I don't really see how a face-less corporation buying the Sox would help us. I mean, AOL-Time Warner is doing a great job handling the Braves. Profit margin is the only thing these companies look at (that the Cubs only have a $95 M payroll is a crime with the type of revenue that team generates). Some might say the same thing about JR, but he is sometimes labeled as a "baseball guy" and does have a general interest in seeing the Sox succeed (I'm sure some may find that hard to believe). Why would your average Comcast exec. located in Philadelphia care one way or the other? Besides, I kind of like the current situation with Ozzie, KW, Cora, Rock having a link to the White Sox past. If we get new ownership, well, say hello to your new friendly corporate GM and his trusty managerial sidekick...
:ohno
"OMG!! Who is it?!?!"

http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/375005_wade.JPGhttp://www.stefansautographs.ch/Indian7.jpg
Ed Wade* and Charlie Manuel*

*pending dismissal from the Phillies

I would much rather get an owner looking for a toy (Cuban, Snyder, etc.).

LAWSfan
11-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Whatever happened to Sports Vision/ Sports Channel? Did they have the NHL in the late 80's/ early 90's?

Somebody mentioned it took a some time for most of Chicago to get wired for cable. Which Chicago suburbs were among the last to get cable?

steff
11-08-2004, 08:58 AM

:roflmao:

eriqjaffe
11-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Whatever happened to Sports Vision/ Sports Channel? Did they have the NHL in the late 80's/ early 90's?

SportsVision/Channel had the Sox, Bulls & Blackhawks. They might have had the Sting back in the day, too, but I don't remember.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
LAW:

This is for you:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
11-08-2004, 02:44 PM

Comcast owns the Flyers and Sixers so it is something that can not be dismissedI'll believe it when I see it.BTW,if a true media conglomerate
buys the White Sox and gives them a payroll of about 90 mill a year
(a pipedream under the current regime),will the White Sox stay
in Chicago?? I can't see rooting for the Philly White Sox.:dunno: :dunno:

SOXSINCE'70
11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
LAW:

This is for you:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

Lip
Thanks for the article,Mark.I'd forgotten what a true failure "SportsVision"
was.Like you said in the article,right idea,wrong time.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Sox-on-TV44
11-16-2004, 10:43 AM
It went to the very ill-fated ON-TV service towards the end of the 1980 baseball season.Thus,the Sox spent that one year at WGN-TV 9 in 1981.ON-TV shut down in '85,and TV 44 went spanish ever since.Don't hope too much for 44 to go back to english,Telemundo network owns it,and Telemundo is owned by NBC.

Boy i'm glad you people enjoyed Ch 44's coverage of the Sox.After watching that DVD (thanks Leo!),I think they did justice to the Sox as oppose to Channel 9's devotion to the Cubs

ode to veeck
11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Harry and Jimmy were the best Sox announcers ever, period.

Fenway, the move to WFLD by the SOX did break new ground. The Sox survived it, but only as a 2nd class citezen in the town they formerly owned. It had a MAJOR impact on a generation's worth of fans in Chicago, through the then limited access to White Sox baseball and was really the first critical turning point (in taking Chicago from a Sox town to a Cubs town).

As a teenager at the time, I easily recall how it it greatly restricted access to a majority of folks, even on the south side of town (Sox heartland). With the additional factors of the '69 Cubs rise and post '67 Sox less than competitiveness to aid the Sox TV fiasco, the Cubs turnaround had begun.

ode to veeck
11-16-2004, 11:51 AM
10 votes for sportsvision!?!?!?

There's gotta be more trolls lurking than we thought!

Maybe Eddie Einhorn logged in 10 WSI registrations and voted 10 times himself.

ewokpelts
11-16-2004, 01:21 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.BTW,if a true media conglomerate
buys the White Sox and gives them a payroll of about 90 mill a year
(a pipedream under the current regime),will the White Sox stay
in Chicago?? I can't see rooting for the Philly White Sox.:dunno: :dunno:i think the philles own that market for a team that pisses off thier pfans on a daily basis...
Gene

SouthSide_HitMen
11-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Boy i'm glad you people enjoyed Ch 44's coverage of the Sox.After watching that DVD (thanks Leo!),I think they did justice to the Sox as oppose to Channel 9's devotion to the CubsI think the poll results indicate the fan base on these boards are too young / not born while WSNS was televising White Sox Baseball (Those American Family Insurance commercials are still ringing in my head 25 years later). They unfortunately do not remember Bill Veeck who along with George Halas were the last decent owners in Chicago. Nor do they remember the greatest Broadcasting Team in Chicago, Caray & Jimmy P.

About the DVD, how can one get it? Thanks