PDA

View Full Version : Boras at it again; says Beltran looking for 10 year deal

WhiteSoxFan84
11-05-2004, 05:20 AM
It's on ESPN.com, Scott Boras has come out and said that his top free agent Carlos Beltran is looking for a 10 year deal. No dollar amount was mentioned, but I've heard that the 10 year deal is at least going to be $180 million. Boras also mentioned that the Houston Astros have everything Beltran is looking for in the team he wants to play for next year. I would not be surprised at all if Beltran signs with the Astros before the end of next week. Them releasing Jeff Kent and saving $9 million has to have been a sign that they want Beltran bad.

What Boras said me think of two things;
1) the Sox supposedly threw a 10 year/$180+ million offer at Alex Rodriguez. Could they do it again this time with Beltran and actually sign him?
2) Boras is going to screw another team over. This has the makings of A-Rod II. Astros sign Beltran to a 10 year/$190 million deal. Astros don't make playoffs next year. Biggio, Bagwell, Clemens and Petite retire with 1-2 years. Astros are rebuilding again with a tight budget and Beltran is unhappy.

We can hate Boras all we want but the man gets the job done both for his clients but most importantly for himself. Commission baby, COMMISSION.

Jjav829
11-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Absolutely no way Beltran signs before next week. Boras will play this out to the end and beyond. He simply won't let Beltran sign before he gets a chance to get use every team possible in order to get Beltran the highest dollar.

I don't think Beltran will sign with Houston. Clemens is likely retiring, and the rest of that team is very old. I do think it is possible that Reinsdorf makes a big play for Beltran, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.

soxfan26
11-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Absolutely no way Beltran signs before next week. Boras will play this out to the end and beyond. He simply won't let Beltran sign before he gets a chance to get use every team possible in order to get Beltran the highest dollar.

I don't think Beltran will sign with Houston. Clemens is likely retiring, and the rest of that team is very old. I do think it is possible that Reinsdorf makes a big play for Beltran, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.
Houston should definitely be at the bottom of Beltran's list in seeking a long term deal. But like you said Boras is going to work everyone into a frenzy and someone will overpay for Beltran.

My guess is that Boras leads Beltran to the biggest contract with little regard for whether or not the team will be competitive in 2-3 years.

FightingBillini
11-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Astros are rebuilding again with a tight budget and Beltran is unhappy.
I dont think that is the case with Beltran. He would hate losing, but he wouldnt pull a "I would accept a trade to help this franchise" when there werent any trade rumors at all like that bitch ass Pay-Rod did. Beltran is a class act, and he should only be mentioned in the same sentence as Rodriquez when you are talking about talent.

11-05-2004, 09:47 AM
You make a good point that if he signs a long term deal with the Astros, they will fade to black within 2 years and he knows that.....they are getting really old in Houston and if they give the bank to Beltran, they won't be able to rebuild or reload in upcmoing years...he won't sign until Dec or Jan though....like it was mentioned Boras a.k.a. "Bob Sugar" will hold out until every team makes there bids....I really don't think the Sox should even waste there time....if we give the house to Beltran, we won't be able to sign the players we really need...with what they offer Beltran, they can get Drew, Ortiz, Visquel, and bullpen help. I'm confident in Rowand...his only downside is that he gets off to slow starts, and with all these games against the Central to start the season, he can't afford to do that this year

kittle42
11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I do think it is possible that Reinsdorf makes a big play for Beltran.
Great. Then we become the Texas Rangers of a few years ago.

jackbrohamer
11-05-2004, 11:02 AM
2) Boras is going to screw another team over.
Boras makes me sick, but I can't agree that getting some idiot like Tom Hicks to get into a 10-year contract means Boras is screwing the team. Hicks screwed himself by agreeing to such a monumentally stupid contract.

Kogs35
11-05-2004, 11:16 AM
if the owners had any brains they would ignore scott boras completely.

Baby Fisk
11-05-2004, 11:35 AM
if the owners had any brains they would ignore scott boras completely.Exactly. It's not Boras we should be sick of...it's the frothing, drooling owners who get whipped into a spending frenzy by this guy (take a bow, Tom Hicks you moron!). He should be studied and learned from, not despized.

Kogs35
11-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Exactly. It's not Boras we should be sick of...it's the frothing, drooling owners who get whipped into a spending frenzy by this guy (take a bow, Tom Hicks you moron!). He should be studied and learned from, not despized.
actually he sticks players on teams that dont belong there. he sets the bar high so he can get his money. if the owners ignore boras and the player the player iwll panick and switch agents.

Baby Fisk
11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
actually he sticks players on teams that dont belong there. he sets the bar high so he can get his money. if the owners ignore boras and the player the player iwll panick and switch agents.
You put way too much faith in the common sense of owners... :cool:

voodoochile
11-05-2004, 12:11 PM
It's called collusion. It's called restraint of trade. It's illegal - even more so in a business with a collective bargaining agreement.

Foulke You
11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
10 years is just too damn long of a commitment to make to one player. Especially when you consider how much money you'll have to spend over those 10 years. So far, the Rangers or Yanks haven't gotten burned by that contract because A-Rod has been healthy. But ask Cincinnatti how they feel about that fat 10 year deal they gave to Ken Griffey Jr. I bet they would like a mulligan on that deal.

The Vlad Guerrero deal is the benchmark right now. Beltran may get a little more than Vlad did but it isn't going to be one of those fat 10 year deals from 4 or 5 years ago.

Beltran is a fine player, but from a White Sox perspective, the money is better spent getting a host of pitching for the rotation and the bullpen. Even from a non-White Sox perspective, I doubt Beltran is going to get a 10 year deal.

mdep524
11-05-2004, 01:40 PM
It's called collusion. It's called restraint of trade. It's illegal - even more so in a business with a collective bargaining agreement.I understand your point, but not giving a baseball player a 10-year, $180 million contract does not qualify as collusion- it's common sense. Of course, given the Steinbrenners and the Hicks out there, perhaps collusion is more realistic...

Also, players and agents like to talk up collusion every offseason when contracts aren't up to snuff (never mind the recent recession or other economic factors), but an overlooked fact is that agents share information in a way that would be considered "colluding" for owners.

voodoochile
11-05-2004, 01:44 PM
I understand your point, but not giving a baseball player a 10-year, $180 million contract does not qualify as collusion- it's common sense. Of course, given the Steinbrenners and the Hicks out there, perhaps collusion is more realistic...

Also, players and agents like to talk up collusion every offseason when contracts aren't up to snuff (never mind the recent recession or other economic factors), but an overlooked fact is that agents share information in a way that would be considered "colluding" for owners.
Don't the owners have an anti-trust exemption?

The players and agents have no such congressional help.

My point was that if all the owners got together as a group and stopped talking to Boras and his clients it WOULD BE collusion, period.

mdep524
11-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Don't the owners have an anti-trust exemption?

The players and agents have no such congressional help.

My point was that if all the owners got together as a group and stopped talking to Boras and his clients it WOULD BE collusion, period.
Right. But I think the point was not that they should stop talking to Boras, but instead ignore his ridiculous requests and make rational contract offers. If every owner acts rationally, Beltran and Boras have to choose from what is available-there likely will be no 10-year, $180 million contracts. But again, that is all wishful thinking.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I think this is the PERFECT opportunity for KW and JR to sit with BorASS and Beltran and try to sell him this;

"We have a young nucleus and a GREAT starting rotation. If you sign here, we will do nothing but improve this ballclub and make sure we are in contention every year. To prove that to you, we are already looking to sign another great starting pitcher. We are talking to Carl Pavano, Derek Lowe, Odalis Perez, Matt Clement, etc. We think you would be the face of the White Sox and would quickly become a very well liked and highly admired figure not only in Chicago but all over the baseball world. Chicago is a big city which means a lot of advertisements will come your way. Nike, Pepsi, etc. You will be a household name within 2 years. Adding on to that, if you lead us to a World Series title, you will become a legend, an icon that the city of Chicago will cheerish forever. Winning a title here is almost as big as winning the Series in Boston. Carlos, you know it, we know it, Scott knows it, this is where you belong. This is where you should continue and end your baseball career. Don't be fooled elsewhere, make Chicago your choice."

Man if that doesn't work than nothing will.

Flight #24
11-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I think this is the PERFECT opportunity for KW and JR to sit with BorASS and Beltran and try to sell him this;

"We have a young nucleus and a GREAT starting rotation. If you sign here, we will do nothing but improve this ballclub and make sure we are in contention every year. To prove that to you, we are already looking to sign another great starting pitcher. We are talking to Carl Pavano, Derek Lowe, Odalis Perez, Matt Clement, etc. We think you would be the face of the White Sox and would quickly become a very well liked and highly admired figure not only in Chicago but all over the baseball world. Chicago is a big city which means a lot of advertisements will come your way. Nike, Pepsi, etc. You will be a household name within 2 years. Adding on to that, if you lead us to a World Series title, you will become a legend, an icon that the city of Chicago will cheerish forever. Winning a title here is almost as big as winning the Series in Boston. Carlos, you know it, we know it, Scott knows it, this is where you belong. This is where you should continue and end your baseball career. Don't be fooled elsewhere, make Chicago your choice."

Man if that doesn't work than nothing will.
Oh man, you said it. Not much to add, except:

"Plus, if you sign here, Jay Marriotti will shine Hawk Harrelson's shoes....who doesn't want to see that?"

StillMissOzzie
11-05-2004, 04:31 PM
I don't think that Bora$ really cares all that much about the long term prospects of the team he gets Beltran to sign with.

1) There are very few teams that could look at these contract demands and stay competitive after Beltran gets his dough.

2) Did Bora$ really think that Texas had the cash to buy and keep the balance of a competitive team after getting A-Rod there?

3) It would have to be a team that's close NOW or they won't wanna go there.

4) He sets the bar high with his ridiculous 10 year "demand" in order to negotiate down to what he realistically expects, a 5-7 year deal.

SMO
:gulp:

ondafarm
11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I'd sign Beltran to a 10 year deal for $180 million in a minute if I were KW. A solid CF-er would allow Maggs vacancy to go unnoticed and it would help the defense greatly. You could then trade PK for a decent pitcher or a slew of prospects.

The lineup would look something like

2B Harris/Uribe
CF Beltran
LF CLee
DH Thomas
RF Everett
1B Gload
3B Crede/Uribe
C Burke/Davis
SS Valdez/Uribe

Perez/Borchard as extra OF

soxfan26
11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
I'd sign Beltran to a 10 year deal for $180 million in a minute if I were KW. A solid CF-er would allow Maggs vacancy to go unnoticed and it would help the defense greatly. You could then trade PK for a decent pitcher or a slew of prospects.

The lineup would look something like

2B Harris/Uribe
CF Beltran
LF CLee
DH Thomas
RF Everett
1B Gload
3B Crede/Uribe
C Burke/Davis
SS Valdez/Uribe

Perez/Borchard as extra OF
How many prospects in a 'slew'?

soxfan26
11-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I don't think that Bora$ really cares all that much about the long term prospects of the team he gets Beltran to sign with.
I couldn't agree more SMO, hence the sig...

Although I have a strange admiration for a man that can convince another to write a check for $25 million every year for one player.

California Sox
11-05-2004, 07:40 PM
He's out 5-6 months with a torn ACL. I wonder if that news will affect Beltran's thinking.

Houston won't have to completely rebuild after Clemens, Biggio, and Bagwell retire. They still have Berkman, Oswalt, Wade Miller, Brad Lidge, and they're pretty excited about 2b Chris Burke, which is why it was easier to let Kent walk.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2004, 09:03 PM
By the way the owners 'showing restraint' was EXACTLY what they did in the mid 80's. Read John Helyar's book 'The Lords Of The Realm.' Remember the 'information bank?' LOL.

That 'restraint' cost the owners some 280 million bucks after three judges nailed them for collusion for three different years.

"Bill Giles (Phillies owner) conceded in a TV interview that he was interested in Lance Parrish (then the Tigers All-Star catcher). Now the Lords were all over him. White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf reminded Giles of his ‘fiscal responsibilities’ (so Giles later testified in court, though Reinsdorf maintains he didn’t say that. His version of what he said was: ‘Don’t be stupid. Make sure you don’t win by a whole lot.) – From the book Lords Of The Realm by John Helyar Pg. 377.

"Peter Ueberroth periodically turned to the lawyers telling them to stop him if he got onto collusion grounds. They never did, though they did occasionally halt owners who got carried away in the raptures of ‘fiscal responsibility’. That was the code word for abstinence and the leading proselytizers were Jerry Reinsdorf, Bud Selig and John McMullen." - From the book Lords Of The Realm by John Helyar Pg. 362.

Lip