PDA

View Full Version : White Sox free agent compensation

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 05:32 PM
FWIW, BA has the Elias free agent rankings. Magglio, of course, is a Type A free agent, but he won't be offered arbitration so that's pretty useless.

Jose Valentin and Roberto Alomar were ranked as Type B free agents. Obviously neither are coming back (not at least until June), but will the Sox offer either arbitration to get the pick? I would guess they would with Valentin. He'll probably draw a little more interest than Roberto Alomar.

Sandy Alomar was ranked a Type C free agent.

The complete list can be found at the bottom of this (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html) page.

Daver
11-04-2004, 05:37 PM
I would be shocked if Ordonez was not offered arbitration.

Scott Boras would be refuse it in a minute, he has done way to quickly in the past.

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 05:38 PM
FWIW, BA has the Elias free agent rankings. Magglio, of course, is a Type A free agent, but he won't be offered arbitration so that's pretty useless.

Jose Valentin and Roberto Alomar were ranked as Type B free agents. Obviously neither are coming back (not at least until June), but will the Sox offer either arbitration to get the pick? I would guess they would with Valentin. He'll probably draw a little more interest than Roberto Alomar.

Sandy Alomar was ranked a Type C free agent.

The complete list can be found at the bottom of this (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html) page.Would you offer Jose arbitration? I wouldn't. Arbitration awards are rarely less than what the player was making the previous year. He'll never get $5M as a FA.

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 05:39 PM

Scott Boras would be refuse it in a minute, he has done way to quickly in the past.That depends on Maggs' knee. If he's not going to be healthy enough to land a big FA contract, he would grab it in a minute. Pretty risky offer.

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 05:43 PM

Scott Boras would be refuse it in a minute, he has done way to quickly in the past.
Possibly. But this case is a little bit different. Ordonez isn't your run of the mill big time Boras client. He's a guy coming off a major injury. It's possible that Boras (once again) would misread the market for Maggs while trying to get him a big deal. That could lead to Boras advising Maggs to accept arbitration and take his guaranteed $11.3 million (or whatever the figure is) for one year while proving himself. He did this with a healthy Millwood last year. He thought Millwood would have a large market but eventually found out that the market wasn't that big so he advised Millwood to accept arbitration. Even if he doesn't, I doubt it's a risk that the Sox would take.

MRKARNO
11-04-2004, 05:43 PM

The Sox cannot risk what happened with Maddux and the Braves in 2003. They offered arb for the draft pick and ended up on the hook for 16 million dollars.

voodoochile
11-04-2004, 05:54 PM

What if Magglio's knee is worse than he is letting on? Then it would make sense for them to take the arbitration if for no other reason than they can get paid 12M to sit and reahab for a year.

I doubt anyone makes a serious offer until they get to look at the knee.

If Maggs is fine, that is one thing, but if not, he just might take his final payday and retire.

SEALgep
The Sox cannot risk what happened with Maddux and the Braves in 2003. They offered arb for the draft pick and ended up on the hook for 16 million dollars.Ooops.

munchman33
Would you offer Jose arbitration? I wouldn't. Arbitration awards are rarely less than what the player was making the previous year. He'll never get $5M as a FA.
There's a minimum percentage of your previous years salary that you must at least make after arbitration. Something like 90%. He Gawn!

RKMeibalane
11-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Possibly. But this case is a little bit different. Ordonez isn't your run of the mill big time Boras client. He's a guy coming off a major injury. It's possible that Boras (once again) would misread the market for Maggs while trying to get him a big deal. That could lead to Boras advising Maggs to accept arbitration and take his guaranteed $11.3 million (or whatever the figure is) for one year while proving himself. He did this with a healthy Millwood last year. He thought Millwood would have a large market but eventually found out that the market wasn't that big so he advised Millwood to accept arbitration. Even if he doesn't, I doubt it's a risk that the Sox would take.
I've been talking with some Dodgers fans recently, and most of them seem interested in Los Angeles accquiring Maggs. They have been throwing some numbers around, and the general consensus seems to be that Maggs should be given an incentive-laiden one-year deal at eight million dollars. There are rumors circulating that LA is looking to sign Ordonez as a replacement for Steve Finley if he elects not to return next season.

I think this baseball off-season is going to be one of the most interesting in recent memory. The only other time I can remember hearing about so much player movement was the winter prior to the 1992 season. That year, several big-name players changed teams. The Mets signed Bobby Bonilla to a huge contract and later traded for Bret Saberhagen. Danny Tartabull ended up in the Bronx. Eric Davis was traded to the Dodgers, and, in the biggest deal of the off-season, Steve Sax ended up on the South Side.

CleeFan101
11-04-2004, 06:18 PM
you guys know how the white sox have been wanting to have their doctors check out magglio... i think this is the reason why... if the doctors say his knee looks good they will offer him arbitration if not they wont take the chance. And this could be the reason boras isnt letting them have their doctors examine magglio too

dickallen15
11-04-2004, 06:52 PM

Boras accepted Atlanta's arbitration offer to Maddux in 2003. If Ordonez is only offered 8-10 million he probably would take it considering 11.5 million would be the minimum he would be playing for next year, and have him go through the process again next year.

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 06:58 PM
you guys know how the white sox have been wanting to have their doctors check out magglio... i think this is the reason why... if the doctors say his knee looks good they will offer him arbitration if not they wont take the chance. And this could be the reason boras isnt letting them have their doctors examine magglio tooThat is probably the main reason Boras doesn't want the Sox doctors to examine Maggs knee. Signing a player with a potential career threatening knee injury is a lot less appealing if it costs you a first round draft pick. Now suddenly you don't have to give up that first round pick, and an incentive-laden deal looks a lot more appealing.

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Boras accepted Atlanta's arbitration offer to Maddux in 2003. If Ordonez is only offered 8-10 million he probably would take it considering 11.5 million would be the minimum he would be playing for next year, and have him go through the process again next year.Anyone know what's the deadline for offering arbitration to players eligible for FA?

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Anyone know what's the deadline for offering arbitration to players eligible for FA?
December 7th.

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 09:39 PM
There's a minimum percentage of your previous years salary that you must at least make after arbitration. Something like 90%. He Gawn!I think it's 80%, which is still too much. See ya, Hosey! It was (mostly) fun while it lasted.

jabrch
11-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Magglio = 80% * 14mm = 11.2mm

Jose = 80% * 5mm = 4mm

Neither will be offered arbitration. Certainly Magglio not since Boras won't even let the Sox team doctors look at his knee. And certainly not Jose since...well...he sucks.

Daver
11-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Magglio = 80% * 14mm = 11.2mm

Jose = 80% * 5mm = 4mm

Neither will be offered arbitration. Certainly Magglio not since Boras won't even let the Sox team doctors look at his knee. And certainly not Jose since...well...he sucks.
Boras is violating the White Sox rights to withold information on his physical condition, and he knows it, he is trying to play KW into bidding against himself. He has done it before.

34 Inch Stick
11-05-2004, 09:02 AM
If Sox doctors look at Maggs and then do not offer arbitration that would raise red flags for any team that was considering signing him as a FA.

jabrch
11-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Boras is violating the White Sox rights to withold information on his physical condition, and he knows it, he is trying to play KW into bidding against himself. He has done it before.
And I assume KW and JR are smart enough to tell him and his dirtbag client to go to hell.

Flight #24
11-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Is there no official complaint that can be lodged with MLB or something on this? I mean it seems completely BS on the part of Maggs/Boras. I'd love to see them send this dispute to arbitration and see if an independent arbiter (Shyam Das?) might rule that maggs either has to submit to a physical or lose FA rights for another year or something.

gosox41
11-05-2004, 11:54 AM

I don't think the Sox will because they can't even get a look at his knee. They're basically risking $11 mill. for a player who may not be healthy enough to play for a season. Best case scenario in this partiuclar situation is that Ordoenz wants a 1 year contrac to prove he's healthy and accepts arbitration.

Bob

Mohoney
11-05-2004, 10:05 PM
And I assume KW and JR are smart enough to tell him and his dirtbag client to go to hell.Can't the Sox take legal action against this mook Boras? Isn't this conspiracy to defraud?

At the very least, wasn't it a breach of contract for Magglio to refuse to let team doctors look at his knee while he still was White Sox property?