PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Sosa for Alfonso Soriano? AM1000 lists 4 teams interested...

WhiteSoxFan84
11-04-2004, 03:51 PM
During an AM1000 update, it was reported that there could be 4 teams interested in Sammy Sosa and they are the New York Mets, Florida Marlins, Colorado Rockies, and Texas Rangers. It was also reported that the Rangers may be willing to part ways with Alfonso Soriano possibly in a trade for Sosa.

Although the Cubs have Todd Walker who can play 2B, Dusty Baker proved last year that he doesn't like playing him too much. Soriano may come in and play 2B, or he may even come in and fill up an OF spot, be it Moises Alou's LF vacancy or Corey Patterson's CF spot with Patterson moving to LF.

Soriano would be a PERFECT fit with the Cubs. .280 hitter, 35 HRs, 175 Ks.

Rocky Soprano
11-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Soriano for Sosa? Texas would once again show how stupid they are if they pull the trigger on this trade.

samram
11-04-2004, 03:57 PM
The Rangers don't have a great outfield, but they really don't need an egomaniac tying up a large part of the payroll for two years on a young, talented team. That would be a bad move on their part.

I could see the Rockies trying to get him, although I don't know for whom it would be. They do need something to interest fans.

Tekijawa
11-04-2004, 03:59 PM
So last year they trade the best player in the game because he had an albatross contract and they wanted to get out from under it? And now they want to Assume another large contract for what would probably be a DH for them? This makes NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER?!?!?!?

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Soriano for Sosa? Texas would once again show how stupid they are if they pull the trigger on this trade.
I understand they want to get rid of Soriano, but this would be a move backward for them. Offense was not their problem last year. Sinking $36 million into an aging former slugger would be a horrible move.

Tekijawa
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
The Rangers don't have a great outfield, but they really don't need an egomaniac tying up a large part of the payroll for two years on a young, talented team. That would be a bad move on their part.

I could see the Rockies trying to get him, although I don't know for whom it would be. They do need something to interest fans.
Preston Wilson, and one of their Bad pitchers comes to mind?

samram
11-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Preston Wilson, and one of their Bad pitchers comes to mind?
Well, that's basically bringing in the same type of player, although it would free up some money. Another possibility would be Cliff Floyd from the Mets, although I think I've read on this board that Floyd doesn't want to play in Chicago.

I think moving Sosa may require the Cubs to do a deal that isn't great for them if they want him out badly enough.

Baby Fisk
11-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Soriano for Sosa? Texas would once again show how stupid they are if they pull the trigger on this trade.I had exactly the same thought before reading your post, Rocky. :cheers:

Just when the Rangers seem to be getting their act together, they might trade for Sosa. For what, sentimental reasons?! :rolleyes:

Grobber33
11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
This is too funny! It was 'reported'(and not by me)that Sosa was going to the YANKEES in June 2000 for Soriano and others. My Yankee sources said George(the Boss)wanted Sammy,but the Cubs were asking for too much at that time. Now the Cubs would likely GIVE him away if someone picked up all the remaining $$$$.

Rocky Soprano
11-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I had exactly the same thought before reading your post, Rocky. :cheers:

Just when the Rangers seem to be getting their act together, they might trade for Sosa. For what, sentimental reasons?! :rolleyes:

:gulp: :gulp:

Great minds think alike!

Flight #24
11-04-2004, 05:34 PM
This AM, Tim Kurkjian reported on ESPN radio that it was highly unlikley that the Cubs could trade Sosa because of the $$$ on that deal. Unless Scammy decides to forgo the vesting of '06(:roflmao:), I don't see it happening.

Now osmeone wants me to believe that the Rangers, who are worried about paying Sori arb $$$ because he's not worth it, are going to take on an older, lesser player who'll make MORE $$$? Pass me whatever it is you're smokin'!

The_Floridian
11-04-2004, 06:10 PM
The only team I can see possibly pulling the trigger for a Sosa deal is the Mets. The Rockies are in a "Youth" movement (again), the Marlins have shown they aren't interested in super high priced free agents over the last two years, and the Rangers had their best season ina long time with this core group of young sluggers. Why would they want to break that up?

But the Mets organization is just stupid enough to try this. They've got money to throw around, and they might decide that since Mo Vaughn is off the books, a brand new monster of a contract on a player who doesn't produce might be just the thing to keep them in the celler.

thepaulbowski
11-04-2004, 06:35 PM
This is too funny! It was 'reported'(and not by me)that Sosa was going to the YANKEES in June 2000 for Soriano and others. My Yankee sources said George(the Boss)wanted Sammy,but the Cubs were asking for too much at that time. Now the Cubs would likely GIVE him away if someone picked up all the remaining $$$$.
Didn't the Yanks supposively offer Soriano, Nick Johnson & another pitcher to go with it. I bet the Cubs wish they could go back and do that trade.

As a side note, Sosa would be a headcase in NY. If things went bad and the media got on his case, he couldn't handle it.

thepaulbowski
11-04-2004, 06:36 PM
This AM, Tim Kurkjian reported on ESPN radio that it was highly unlikley that the Cubs could trade Sosa because of the $$$ on that deal. Unless Scammy decides to forgo the vesting of '06(:roflmao:), I don't see it happening.

Now osmeone wants me to believe that the Rangers, who are worried about paying Sori arb $$$ because he's not worth it, are going to take on an older, lesser player who'll make MORE $$$? Pass me whatever it is you're smokin'!
I don't think the MLBPA would let him forgo the 06 part of his deal because that would decrease the value of his contract. We saw that it didn't work in the A-Rod to Boston case.

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Didn't the Yanks supposively offer Soriano, Nick Johnson & another pitcher to go with it. I bet the Cubs wish they could go back and do that trade.

As a side note, Sosa would be a headcase in NY. If things went bad and the media got on his case, he couldn't handle it.
I believe the supposed trade proposal was Soriano, Johnson, and Ted Lilly for Sosa. That would look like a steal for the Cubs right now. I thought they should have done that trade when the Yankees were willing to do it. Now I'm sure they probably wish they did.

34 Inch Stick
11-05-2004, 10:08 AM
IIRC that is what the Yankees were offering but the Cubs wanted Drew Henson thrown into the deal.

longshot7
11-05-2004, 02:25 PM
I've also heard the Angels might be interested - they're looking to deal Jose Guillen - and why not trade one clubhouse cancer for another?

ondafarm
11-05-2004, 04:10 PM
This could possibly be a lousy deal for both sides.

The Rangers don't need the offense and with a young, up and coming team, they need payroll space. Dumping Soriano would help their OBP, Ks and defense.

The Cubs don't need a loser like Soriano. They could use a solid offensive bat, but only someone who gets on consistently. They also need solid defense at second, which Soriano hasn't a clue how to play.

FightingBillini
11-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Dumping Soriano would help their OBP, Ks and defense.
At second base maybe, but it would increase Ks and greatly hurt their defense overall. I just dont believe that the Rangers are dumb enough to do this. They dont need any more hitting, they need pitching. Trading for Sosa would be a million times worse than signing A-Rod to the contract they did. If they didnt have enough money for Rodriquez, why the hell would they get Sosa? At least A-Rod is productive.

ondafarm
11-05-2004, 05:02 PM
At second base maybe, but it would increase Ks and greatly hurt their defense overall. I just dont believe that the Rangers are dumb enough to do this. They dont need any more hitting, they need pitching. Trading for Sosa would be a million times worse than signing A-Rod to the contract they did. If they didnt have enough money for Rodriquez, why the hell would they get Sosa? At least A-Rod is productive.
I don't understand your comments. Soriano strikes out a lot. No, really a lot. His OBP just doesn't make him very valuable for run scoring. He seldom walks so even though he steals a fair amount, he doesn't bat lead-off well. Since leaving the Yankees, his strikeouts are up and his homers and steals down. This doesn't surprise me at all. His defense is adequate but not good. Bad at turning DPs and not a great ranging second baseman to begin with. His arm is good but thats about the last thing you worry about for a second baseman. For the third most important defensive position (after SS and cathcer, just ahead of CF) he is a liability and doesn't score enough to make up for it.

Replacing Soriano at 2B would help their pitching with a better fielding 2B but thats a pretty poor reason to trade.

soxwon
11-06-2004, 12:19 AM
I had heard months ago

it would be Garland for Soriano.
That my friend i would do in an instant!!!

bigfoot
11-06-2004, 08:21 AM
IIRC that is what the Yankees were offering but the Cubs wanted Drew Henson thrown into the deal.
The Cubz could have traded Henson to the Bearz in exchange for Jim Miller and a PTBNL.