PDA

View Full Version : Oftman & AM1000 Updates on Sox; Beltran, Johnson, Konerko

WhiteSoxFan84
11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Here's a little summary of the updates I've heard on The Score and ESPN 1000 in the past hour...

George Oftman reported on The Score (the obvious) that Ken Williams will be looking to make a move for Randy Johnson and possibly look into signing Carlos Beltran. Oftman called either one of those moves "highly unlikely".

On ESPN AM 1000 during a 20/20 update, it was reported that Williams has heard from baseball insiders that Beltran would be interested in playing for the White Sox. It was also reported that KW will be shopping Konerko around if for anything just to see what value he has.

Flight #24
11-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Here's a little summary of the updates I've heard on The Score and ESPN 1000 in the past hour...

George Oftman reported on The Score (the obvious) that Ken Williams will be looking to make a move for Randy Johnson and possibly look into signing Carlos Beltran. Oftman called either one of those moves "highly unlikely".

On ESPN AM 1000 during a 20/20 update, it was reported that Williams has heard from baseball insiders that Beltran would be interested in playing for the White Sox. It was also reported that KW will be shopping Konerko around if for anything just to see what value he has.
Interesting juxtaposition here:

Beltran (when asked if he'd like to play for the Cubs) - "Sure"
Beltran (unprompted) - "I'd like to play for the Sox"

One of these warrants a front page sports headline, one does not. You be the judge.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-04-2004, 03:54 PM
The exact quote from the update, and this may help you out, was; "Beltran would be interested in playing for the southside", and this was after they said KW was told by an insider.

Tekijawa
11-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Interesting juxtaposition here:

Beltran (when asked if he'd like to play for the Cubs) - "Sure"
Beltran (unprompted) - "I'd like to play for the Sox"

One of these warrants a front page sports headline, one does not. You be the judge.
Not really, the insiders said that Beltran would like to play for the Sox, that's technically (at best) not Beltran saying it...

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 03:57 PM
The exact quote from the update, and this may help you out, was; "Beltran would be interested in playing for the southside", and this was after they said KW was told by an insider.

I wonder if Dan McGrath & his cohorts at the Cubune will get the Front Page Graphics ready tomorrow ..............

BELTRAN WANTS TO BE A WHITE SOX

Jjav829
11-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Did George Oftman have any reports on where Jose Valentine might be playing next year? :smile:

Tekijawa
11-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Did George Oftman have any reports on where Jose Valentine might be playing next year? :smile:
I doubt he has many Contacts in Japan

Flight #24
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
I think the Yankees have him, Omar Visquel, & Joe "don't call me Bobby" Bourchard in their sights!:)

samram
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM

If it's so unlikely, why should he take time on his little report to even mention them?

Mickster
11-04-2004, 04:22 PM
If it's so unlikely, why should he take time on his little report to even mention them?
Makes it easy to take a shot at the Sox.....

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Makes it easy to take a shot at the Sox.....
Good. The White Sox and Jerry REIN$DORF need to be Ripped a bit
more in the Media for not Going After Free Agents/Not filling Holes in Lineup.

Mickster
11-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Good. The White Sox and Jerry REIN$DORF need to be Ripped a bit
more in the Media for not Going After Free Agents/Not filling Holes in Lineup.You're right. We don't get ripped-on or mistreated enough in the media. What was the final count on Cubs/Sox stories in the Media Watch, Hangar?

soxwon
11-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I think the Yankees have him, Omar Visquel, & Joe "don't call me Bobby" Bourchard in their sights!:)

why would the yanks want vizquel?
they have jeter and arod!!!

Foulke29
11-04-2004, 06:18 PM
why would the yanks want vizquel?
they have jeter and arod!!!
They'll probably take a gold glove shortstop and move him to second base and have a middle infield of all gold glove winners.

How the hell did Jeter win GG?

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Let's get realistic here, folks. No matter what team asks Beltran if he'd like to play for them they're going to get pretty much the same answer. It doesn't mean diddly squat.

Foulke You
11-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Let's get realistic here, folks. No matter what team asks Beltran if he'd like to play for them they're going to get pretty much the same answer. It doesn't mean diddly squat.
Exactly. He is going to say he would like to play for the Toledo Mudhens as long as they are willing to pony up the dough. It is just smart business to make sure everyone makes a run at him to drive up the asking price.

SoxxoS
11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Exactly. He is going to say he would like to play for the Toledo Mudhens as long as they are willing to pony up the dough. It is just smart business to make sure everyone makes a run at him to drive up the asking price.
And JR is nothing but serious when it comes to signing big time free agents.

:reinsy

"Look me in my eye and tell me that, punk...I LOSE money each year with the Sox."

Flight #24
11-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I didn't hear the interview, so I'm going off of what I saw posted here - but it didn't seem to me like he was prompted ala the Cubune article. More like he made it known through the grapevine. It still doesn't mean it's anything more than posturing to drive up the price, but IMO the less prompted it is, the more chance it has of actually being true.

Elvisfan1977
11-04-2004, 10:28 PM
This

Elvisfan1977
11-04-2004, 10:30 PM

I agree. This is a business and all Beltran and Boras are doing is driving the price up. Assume Beltran wants to play in every city and for every team next season. Wait til after the 12th and we'll find out where he really wants to play.