PDA

View Full Version : Pavano turns down Marlins offer

Paulwny
11-04-2004, 11:54 AM
According to Newsday, Pavano has turned down a 3yr $21 mil offer from the Marlins. His agent, Scott Shapiro says his client is interested in playing for the Mets, yanks or Red Sox.

samram
11-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Wasn't there a report a few weeks ago saying that's where he didn't want to play? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy. Also, didn't he break up with Alyssa Milano because he didn't like the attention? He's going to get plenty if he's seen as the savior for the Yanks pitching staff. Of those three, Boston makes the most sense since they could lose Pedro and Derek Lowe.

Soxzilla
11-04-2004, 12:05 PM
From what I heard a couple weeks ago ... Pavano doesn't want to play for New York, and sam, you are right about the Milano thing ... hence why I think he wants to stay out of NY.

Kogs35
11-04-2004, 12:17 PM
According to Newsday, Pavano has turned down a 3yr $21 mil offer from the Marlins. His agent, Scott Shapiro says his client is interested in playing for the Mets, yanks or Red Sox.
newsday is owned by the cubune. hence dont belive whats written in newsday

Flight #24
11-04-2004, 12:25 PM
newsday is owned by the cubune. hence dont belive whats written in newsday
Given that, I'm just surprised that no one asked him if he wanted to play for the Cubs, how did they miss that opportunity for front page news?

Paulwny
11-04-2004, 12:33 PM
newsday is owned by the cubune. hence dont belive whats written in newsdayHow about the Miami Herald:
(Carl Pavano became a free agent Wednesday, but not before the Marlins gave the pitcher something to ponder: a three-year, $21-million contract offer.

That would make Pavano the second-highest paid player on the Marlins behind third baseman Mike Lowell. But with the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox expected to join in the bidding, Pavano likely will receive more lucrative offers.)

Florida Sun Sentinal:
(Albeit a generous and worthy effort for a small-market team, the Marlins made no indication they could exceed those parameters. The Marlins retain sole negotiating rights with Pavano until Nov. 12, but he is set on listening to other teams.

Considering he's among a few top-flight starters on the market, the Marlins offer won't hold up as teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Mets begin wooing him with more years and guaranteed dollars. )

34 Inch Stick
11-04-2004, 01:23 PM
7 million a year seemed a low. I would expect him in the 9 million area.

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Florida Sun Sentinal:
"......Considering he's among a few top-flight starters on the market, the Marlins offer won't hold up as teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Mets begin wooing him with more years and guaranteed dollars "

:reinsy
" See ....... he doesnt want to come here!"

kittle42
11-04-2004, 05:37 PM
:reinsy
" See ....... he doesnt want to come here!"
Oh, come now, Hangar, the money here IS guaranteed....if you live for 20 years after the expiration of the contract to pick up the deferred part.

Brian26
11-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Wasn't there a report a few weeks ago saying that's where he didn't want to play? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy.

No, it's the same guy.

Huisj
11-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Wasn't there a report a few weeks ago saying that's where he didn't want to play? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy. Also, didn't he break up with Alyssa Milano because he didn't like the attention? He's going to get plenty if he's seen as the savior for the Yanks pitching staff. Of those three, Boston makes the most sense since they could lose Pedro and Derek Lowe.
Was Pavano originally a Red Sox property? I seem to recall him being part of the Pedro Martinez deal when he got sent to Boston when Montrael couldn't afford him anymore. That would be interesting (sort of) to have traded a youngster to get a star, and then sign that guy later to sort of replace the same star.

Paulwny
11-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Was Pavano originally a Red Sox property? I seem to recall him being part of the Pedro Martinez deal when he got sent to Boston when Montrael couldn't afford him anymore. That would be interesting (sort of) to have traded a youngster to get a star, and then sign that guy later to sort of replace the same star.
Yep, Pavano was a Boston prospect when he was traded to the Expos for Pedro.

GiveMeSox
11-04-2004, 08:42 PM
So bascially what hes saying is he only wants to play for team known for shelling out ridicolous amounts of $$ to land free agents and teams that love to get into bidding wars.