PDA

View Full Version : Wille Randolph named Mets new skipper ; Charlie Manuel to head Phillies

WhiteSoxFan84
11-04-2004, 04:01 AM
It's on SI.com, Randolph is in as NY Mets manager and Charlie Manuel will get yet another managing gig, this team in the city of brotherly love as the Philadelphia Phillies manager. Good luck to you both.

Kind of odd seeing a Yankee running the Mets, kind of like Mark Grace managing the White Sox or Robin Ventura running the sCrUBS.

samram
11-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Well, I guess the Phils got one of the Manuels. What a thoroughly uninspiring choice.

TDog
11-04-2004, 11:55 AM
It's on SI.com, Randolph is in as NY Mets manager and Charlie Manuel will get yet another managing gig, this team in the city of brotherly love as the Philadelphia Phillies manager. Good luck to you both.

Kind of odd seeing a Yankee running the Mets, kind of like Mark Grace managing the White Sox or Robin Ventura running the sCrUBS.
Or Yogi Berra managing the Mets or Mike Scioscia managing the Angels ....

Baby Fisk
11-04-2004, 12:24 PM
I pull for the Mets as a manifestation of my Yankee Hater side hobby. This hire makes no sense. Not just that he's coming over from the Bronx, but Randolph seems to be of the same placid Art Howe mold that failed so spectacularly. The Mets are a seriously messed up franchise.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-04-2004, 03:04 PM
This might deserve a thread on it's own but I'll just as you guys, in your mind's, when comparing the Chicago teams to the New York teams, do you see the Sox as the Mets and the Cubs as the Yankees? In the latter comparison, success is not what makes them so similar, fan base is. In the Sox/Mets comparison, they both seem to be the child who gets less attention than the other child.

Baby Fisk
11-04-2004, 04:16 PM
In the Sox/Mets comparison, they both seem to be the child who gets less attention than the other child.Close, but think of the Mets as the rambunctious, rascally kid everyone secretly likes, a kid that sometimes surprises everyone by getting an A++ on the science project or somehow getting into law school.

Think of the Sox as the proverbial redheaded stepchild everyone likes to beat on or ignore. Perpetual B- student with a record of mediocrity.

ChiSoxRowand
11-04-2004, 08:56 PM
I heard on PTI that Randolph was a Mets fan growing up, but it's still wierd seeing a Yankee manage the Mets. I wouldn't want a Cub managing the Sox.

RKMeibalane
11-04-2004, 09:21 PM
I heard on PTI that Randolph was a Mets fan growing up, but it's still wierd seeing a Yankee manage the Mets. I wouldn't want a Cub managing the Sox.
That would be unpleasant. Of course, the Sox did have former Cubs manager Bruce Kimm as their third-base coach during the 2003 season. There were a few people on this board who complained about that.

Bisco Stu
11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Soooo glad the Miracles didn't hire Baylor. Willie will bring an intensity the Amazings have been lacking, and in the vastly inferior NL, every team's a contendah!

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Close, but think of the Mets as the rambunctious, rascally kid everyone secretly likes, a kid that sometimes surprises everyone by getting an A++ on the science project or somehow getting into law school.

Think of the Sox as the proverbial redheaded stepchild everyone likes to beat on or ignore. Perpetual B- student with a record of mediocrity.holy crap. that was an awsome comparison.

lol

a sox/mets world series would kick ass

ZachAL
11-05-2004, 01:36 AM
One of my roommates is from NY and is a huge mets fan. He is so mad about the fact that a Yankee is managing the mets. With such a high (and increasing) payroll, theyre only spending $500,000 a year on a manager. Also he hates the fact that Randolph didnt know how many times the mets beat the yankees this year when asked, he says "EVERY met fan knows we took the series 4-2 this year". Also Bob Brenley apparently called the mets inquiring about the opening, but Minaya turned him down and didnt give him an interview or anything. It doesnt make sense.

California Sox
11-05-2004, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't force my worst enemy to manage the Mets. They're going to be good about the same time that Bush balances the budget. :(: