PDA

View Full Version : If I could add ONE starter....

MHOUSE
11-03-2004, 06:03 PM
...it would be Derek Lowe. His performance this offseason was awesome. He had a rocky regular season whether because of poor defense or whatever, but he put it all behind and came up HUGE in the ALCS and World Series. Ever since he came out of the bullpen to get the BoSox out of a jam in game five against Oakland in '03, I've loved his mindset. He's not far removed from being a 20-game winner and he SHOWS UP in big games unlike most of the Sox pitchers over the last few years. If Boston doesn't price him way out of our range, I would rather go after him with $10 million than a trade for Randy Johnson.

NonetheLoaiza
11-03-2004, 06:24 PM
I would much rather have Lowe as well, if the price is right. However, I DO see Boston and other teams driving up his value. His performance in the postseason really drove up his value, probably to proportions the White Sox can't afford.

Plus, knowing our luck, he would end up being a bust with us...

jabrch
11-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Anyone think there is a chance Esteban somehow ends up back with us? (I sure hope not...but it wouldn't surprise me)

nodiggity59
11-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Mine would be Hudson. Moderately priced, going into his walk year. Oakland will have to trade one of the Big 3 and Zito won't bring them enough in return.

mdep524
11-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Anyone think there is a chance Esteban somehow ends up back with us? (I sure hope not...but it wouldn't surprise me)
I wouldn't mind him duking it out for the 5th starter spot next year. If he wants guaranteed big money ($5 mil or so) forget it. But if there's not a big market for him I could think of worse things than giving him a shot for the #5 spot.

Jjav829
11-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Anyone think there is a chance Esteban somehow ends up back with us? (I sure hope not...but it wouldn't surprise me)No. I think he burned his bridges well enough that he wouldn't be welcomed back here.

santo=dorf
11-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Mine would be Hudson. Moderately priced, going into his walk year. Oakland will have to trade one of the Big 3 and Zito won't bring them enough in return.Someone posted a rumor on the White Sox message board that he/she was listening to Sporting News Radio, and Ken Rosenthal (the man who said "hardly anyone cares about the White Sox,":angry: ) said that there is talks of a Konerko for Hudson deal. Isn't Beane in love with Hatteberg and Durazo? :?:

nodiggity59
11-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Someone posted a rumor on the White Sox message board that he/she was listening to Sporting News Radio, and Ken Rosenthal (the man who said "hardly anyone cares about the White Sox,":angry: ) said that there is talks of a Konerko for Hudson deal. Isn't Beane in love with Hatteberg and Durazo? :?:
:drool:

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Someone posted a rumor on the White Sox message board that he/she was listening to Sporting News Radio, and Ken Rosenthal (the man who said "hardly anyone cares about the White Sox,":angry: ) said that there is talks of a Konerko for Hudson deal. Isn't Beane in love with Hatteberg and Durazo? :?:I thought so, too. I would think CLee would be a better choice for them since they have an OF opening with Dye leaving. But then, maybe Beane already has his eye on someone for the OF spot.

Jjav829
11-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Someone posted a rumor on the White Sox message board that he/she was listening to Sporting News Radio, and Ken Rosenthal (the man who said "hardly anyone cares about the White Sox,":angry: ) said that there is talks of a Konerko for Hudson deal. Isn't Beane in love with Hatteberg and Durazo? :?:Durazo is likely gone, but I think Beane is willing to go with Dan Johnson at DH. He did supposedly want to add some right handed power at the trade deadline. It's possible he could have interest in Konerko. Is this even reliable anyway? Message boards are filled with "I heard this on the radio, blah, blah, blah" posts.

santo=dorf
11-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Durazo is likely gone, but I think Beane is willing to go with Dan Johnson at DH. He did supposedly want to add some right handed power at the trade deadline. It's possible he could have interest in Konerko. Is this even reliable anyway? Message boards are filled with "I heard this on the radio, blah, blah, blah" posts.It was a user who had a default "Base Ball" name who said they lived out in CA. Someone over at Soxtalk is saying their buddy called him from California, and told him the exact same thing. I don't trust Rosenthal anyways, but it is still an intriguing idea.

Dolanski
11-03-2004, 09:37 PM
I would much rather have Lowe as well, if the price is right. However, I DO see Boston and other teams driving up his value. His performance in the postseason really drove up his value, probably to proportions the White Sox can't afford.

Plus, knowing our luck, he would end up being a bust with us...
Why are people on this board so in love with Derek Lowe? He needs good defense, we don't have that. He had one good year, one lucky year, one bad year, and a good playoffs this year. Sure he was clutch, but ask any Boston fan and they are more than happy to see him gone. He is a head case and I for one am thankful that he is going to get a huge contract that the Sox can't afford. Mark my words, he is going to be the biggest free agent bust this side of Bartolo Colon's huge posterior.

Flight #24
11-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Durazo is likely gone, but I think Beane is willing to go with Dan Johnson at DH. He did supposedly want to add some right handed power at the trade deadline. It's possible he could have interest in Konerko. Is this even reliable anyway? Message boards are filled with "I heard this on the radio, blah, blah, blah" posts.
Oh man, I can already imagine the music that'll be played at road games when "Dan Johnson" comes to bat.:D:

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Durazo is likely gone, but I think Beane is willing to go with Dan Johnson at DH. He did supposedly want to add some right handed power at the trade deadline. It's possible he could have interest in Konerko. Is this even reliable anyway? Message boards are filled with "I heard this on the radio, blah, blah, blah" posts.It's known that the A's may be dealing Hudson. Chavez got a big raise this year and Eric Byrne is arbitration eligible, which also means a lot more $$$$. And they still have to replace Dye. So pretty much all the money they saved by cutting Dye loose is already committed. Hudson is in the last year of his contract, and with no extra dough available, Beane is going to have to have a bake sale to come up with the money to re-sign him. And I don't think Beane is much of a baker. But the problem with these rumors is that if Beane was trading Hudson for money reasons, why in hell would he take a higher-priced player like Lee or Konerko in return? The only way this works for Oakland is if they get a top-prospect or young major-leaguer thrown in. And as much as I'd like Hudson, I think Lee/Konerko AND a top prospect is a bit steep.

nodiggity59
11-03-2004, 11:51 PM
It's known that the A's may be dealing Hudson. Chavez got a big raise this year and Eric Byrne is arbitration eligible, which also means a lot more $$$$. And they still have to replace Dye. So pretty much all the money they saved by cutting Dye loose is already committed. Hudson is in the last year of his contract, and with no extra dough available, Beane is going to have to have a bake sale to come up with the money to re-sign him. And I don't think Beane is much of a baker. But the problem with these rumors is that if Beane was trading Hudson for money reasons, why in hell would he take a higher-priced player like Lee or Konerko in return? The only way this works for Oakland is if they get a top-prospect or young major-leaguer thrown in. And as much as I'd like Hudson, I think Lee/Konerko AND a top prospect is a bit steep.
It would be worth it if we could extend Hudson. A big if, but he would make this rotation a powerhouse if he stayed for 3-4 years

California Sox
11-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I thought so, too. I would think CLee would be a better choice for them since they have an OF opening with Dye leaving. But then, maybe Beane already has his eye on someone for the OF spot.
I believe they're eyeing rookie Nick (son of Steve) Swisher for a role in their outfield. BB has a huge boy crush on him.

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 12:10 AM
I believe they're eyeing rookie Nick (son of Steve) Swisher for a role in their outfield. BB has a huge boy crush on him.I've heard they were all hot over Swisher. But he didn't exactly tear it up in his big chance this year, although it was only 60 AB. They could be looking for a veteran, letting Swisher play part-time to take some of the pressure off. Who knows? Most of these rumors you hear aren't worth a whole lot.

mdep524
11-04-2004, 12:18 AM
It's known that the A's may be dealing Hudson. Chavez got a big raise this year and Eric Byrne is arbitration eligible, which also means a lot more $$$$. And they still have to replace Dye. So pretty much all the money they saved by cutting Dye loose is already committed. Hudson is in the last year of his contract, and with no extra dough available, Beane is going to have to have a bake sale to come up with the money to re-sign him. And I don't think Beane is much of a baker. But the problem with these rumors is that if Beane was trading Hudson for money reasons, why in hell would he take a higher-priced player like Lee or Konerko in return? The only way this works for Oakland is if they get a top-prospect or young major-leaguer thrown in. And as much as I'd like Hudson, I think Lee/Konerko AND a top prospect is a bit steep.
Of all the pitchers that are available this offseason- Randy Johnson, Pedro, Pavano- Hudson would arguably be the best. When you consider how relatively cheap he is compared to the others (giving the Sox payroll flexibility for '05), I would say he might be worth Lee/Konerko and a prospect. If not Lee/Konerko, this trade (or maybe Mulder? I was never a fan of Zito though) would certainly be worth pursuing in any other form.

GAsoxfan
11-04-2004, 10:15 AM
If there was a Konerko/Lee+prospect for Hudson deal, I would bet the Sox would have to take back Rhodes to even out the money. All my extended family lives in the Bay Area, and they said Beane wants to get rid of Rhodes and his salary.

MHOUSE
11-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Any of Oaklands Big 3 would be a HUGE addition to any team, but I would rather have Mulder or take a chance on Zito turning it around than Hudson. He's a greater pitcher when healthy which he hasn't been the last few years. I don't think the risk of him only starting 20 games is worth Lee and Konerko or even one of the two. It has KW blow-up written all over it.

dugwood31
11-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Hudson's slight of build, and I think most people think he's an injury waiting to happen. If you're gonna give up talent in a trade, you might as well get Vazquez -- his value might be at an all-time low right now.

Dan Gelo
11-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Mulder does has family around here. My girlfriends' parents are friends with some of his family. Maybe that would be an incentive.

:reinsy

I love incentives.

Railsplitter
11-06-2004, 10:15 AM
...it would be Derek Lowe. His performance this offseason was awesome. He had a rocky regular season whether because of poor defense or whatever, but he put it all behind and came up HUGE in the ALCS and World Series. Ever since he came out of the bullpen to get the BoSox out of a jam in game five against Oakland in '03, I've loved his mindset. He's not far removed from being a 20-game winner and he SHOWS UP in big games unlike most of the Sox pitchers over the last few years. If Boston doesn't price him way out of our range, I would rather go after him with $10 million than a trade for Randy Johnson.
Hear, hear!

Lowe also has more seasons left in him than Randy Johnson.

Ol' No. 2
11-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Hear, hear!

Lowe also has more seasons left in him than Randy Johnson.And if they're more seasons like 2004, you can have them. He was flat-out awful.

5.42 ERA, .299 BAA, 1.61 WHIP, 93.2 P/GS

Those 4 post-season games were the exception, and they're just going to drive the price up.

bafiarocks03
11-07-2004, 11:25 PM

Yea i would take Lowe too, or Pedro! Cuz they both are awesome!!