PDA

View Full Version : Astros - White Sox...

Tragg
10-11-2001, 03:59 PM
I mentioned a while back, two peas in a pod. And the playoff series is playing out that way.

Each has a great young pitcher - owswalt, beurhle
Both have deep minor league pitching
Both have little minor league positional talent
Both have a few grizzled vets (although ours may be gone forewver - eldred, wells)

Both have a strong hitting core - bagwell/berkman/hidalgo/alou; konerko/frank/maggs/lee

Both have major offensive holes: Ausmus (worst hitter in baseball - period)/lugo-vizcaino/castilla (has power and streaky, but generally versus bad pitching) - johnson/clayton/singleton

Both have arsonists in pen - mike jackson v. howry

Both have good closers

Both have a relatively deep pen

And, so far, both stink it up in the playffs.

duke of dorwood
10-11-2001, 04:03 PM
Flashback to last year. PLUS they had to play day games too, like us.

cheeses_h_rice
10-11-2001, 04:08 PM
Still, this is, what, their 6th? 7th? playoff appearance in 20 years? I wonder, would we rather switch shoes with them still knowing we'd lose ever damn playoff series we ever played? Given how the Sox have done since '17 in the postseason, I might be inclined to take that bet.

GASHWOUND
10-11-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Flashback to last year. PLUS they had to play day games too, like us.

Yeah, the WS don't have a very good record playing daytime baseball.I wish they would do something about that. Most of American league teams play night time games, including the Sox and when the most important time comes (Post season) unless your the Yankees they stick you in the afternoon. Baseball players have a routine and their used to playing at night, then they ruin their whole routine by putting them in unfamiliar territory. The only teams that don't have their daly routine messed with is the Yankees and who ever the team their playing. They get a primetime slot and
all day to prepare.

That ain't fair. Who knows, maybe if we had played at our normal time(6 or 7 pm) the outcome would've come out different, probably not but maybe.