PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen Improvements for 2005

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Just to give people a break from the "to Vizquel or not to Vizquel" and the "to RJ or not to RJ" on the other threads, I thought I'd start one on ideas for improving the bullpen. There are a number of good FA relievers available and maybe a few that could be had in trade. The FA list is on MLB.com. Post your choices here. And just to keep things semi-realistic, you can get as many guys as you want, but you can spend only $5M. Trades are also OK as long as the net payroll gain isn't more than the aforementioned $5M.

nodiggity59
11-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Just to give people a break from the "to Vizquel or not to Vizquel" and the "to RJ or not to RJ" on the other threads, I thought I'd start one on ideas for improving the bullpen. There are a number of good FA relievers available and maybe a few that could be had in trade. The FA list is on MLB.com. Post your choices here. And just to keep things semi-realistic, you can get as many guys as you want, but you can spend only $5M. Trades are also OK as long as the net payroll gain isn't more than the aforementioned $5M.
One word: Percival. Make the call Kenny. All $5mil if necesary.

gosox41
11-03-2004, 02:58 PM
I like Kline. I haven't seen the free agent list, but he stuck out as having a good 2004.

No to Percival. He's lost velocity. Sound like anyone else we know?

Bob

samram
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
The bullpen FAs seem to be closer heavy and there doesn't seem to be a lot of solid set-up guys. So the question is, if you have $5M, whether you spend it all on a closer and move Shingo back to set-up, or bring in two set-up guys and keep Shingo as the closer. I like Steve Kline, and maybe Urbina could resurrect himself (not sure about that though). Or you can make a play for Benitez and have Shingo and Marte set up for him. BTW, wasn't Felix Rodriguez supposed to be a FA this offseason?

NonetheLoaiza
11-03-2004, 03:15 PM
how bout koch? hes on the market now....

OEO Magglio
11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
I like Kline. I haven't seen the free agent list, but he stuck out as having a good 2004.

No to Percival. He's lost velocity. Sound like anyone else we know?

Bob
Percival can pitch, botch can't. Troy blew 1 save over the 2nd half of the season(I believe), I'd absolutely love to have him, having him would make our bullpen pretty darn solid.

wdelaney72
11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
The bullpen FAs seem to be closer heavy and there doesn't seem to be a lot of solid set-up guys. So the question is, if you have $5M, whether you spend it all on a closer and move Shingo back to set-up, or bring in two set-up guys and keep Shingo as the closer. I like Steve Kline, and maybe Urbina could resurrect himself (not sure about that though). Or you can make a play for Benitez and have Shingo and Marte set up for him. BTW, wasn't Felix Rodriguez supposed to be a FA this offseason?
The problem is that Shingo earned the opportunity to be the closer in 2005. You are correct, not a lot of set up guys available, very closer heavy.

nitetrain8601
11-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Go all the way and get Benitez. That's one guy who's never lost velocity or you could see if you could wait up for Everyday Eddie(see if he declines his option) and get him on the cheap if you want to go on the cheap route.

Mickster
11-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Go all the way and get Benitez. That's one guy who's never lost velocity or you could see if you could wait up for Everyday Eddie(see if he declines his option) and get him on the cheap if you want to go on the cheap route.Guardado took his $4M player's option this morning.

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2004, 04:15 PM
The problem is that Shingo earned the opportunity to be the closer in 2005. You are correct, not a lot of set up guys available, very closer heavy.I wouldn't get too hung up on the "closer" label. A lot of good setup men were once closers, and vice versa. And besides, which is harder, coming into the 7th inning with the tying runners on base and trying to squelch a rally or pitching one inning from the beginning without blowing a 3-run lead?

I would take a chance on Percival if the price isn't that high. I don't think I'd go to $5M, though. The loss in velocity has a lot of teams scared off, so I think he might be had for less.

sircaffey1
11-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't get too hung up on the "closer" label. A lot of good setup men were once closers, and vice versa. And besides, which is harder, coming into the 7th inning with the tying runners on base and trying to squelch a rally or pitching one inning from the beginning without blowing a 3-run lead?

I would take a chance on Percival if the price isn't that high. I don't think I'd go to $5M, though. The loss in velocity has a lot of teams scared off, so I think he might be had for less.

Yes Percy lost velocity. But he used to throw 98-99. So he's throwing 94-95...Fine by me. Plus he has a very good curveball to go along with it. Koch had nothing but a fastball. I too would love to get him, but not for 5 million. If management was willing to go 5 mil for Percy then they should just up it to 7 mil to get Benitez.

Percy also turned down a deal to return to ANA to be the setup man. So I doubt he would come here to be the setup man. Fine by me to give him the closer role. If we could get him for 3-4 million, 2 years, go for it. If not look elsewhere.

I would rather go after Hammond rather than Kline. Hammond has had a lot of success with the Yanks and Oak the past 2 years. Seems like a solid pick to me...Percy and Hammond/Kline for 5-6 mil would suit us perfectly I would think.

A pen of:

Percival
Shingo
Marte
Hammond/Kline
Politte
Cotts/Diaz

I think would be very solid.

nodiggity59
11-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Kline is going to the Yankees or Red Sox. The Yanks in particular need him badly.

MHOUSE
11-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Percival would be awesome, but isn't one of the reasons they think K-Rod is reading is because he filled in while Percival was injured down the stretch? I could be wrong but I recall Percival being unreliable health-wise the last few seasons. If he could be at full health pitching in the mid-90s I'd be more than ok with $4 million for two years.

Cotts was good as lefty middle relief and after a bad start, Munoz did well in a relief role. But why not get a solid lefty to take some pressure off of Marte and also keep Marte for later innings only. Mercker, Kline, and KELLY WUNSCH anybody?

Other available righties that caught my eye: Shuey, Osuna, Weathers

nodiggity59
11-03-2004, 05:48 PM
For those of you who may doubt Percival, remember this:

He has had 30 or more saves for 7 STRAIGHT seasons.

Even though he still has had some injury problems, you can't argue with this ability. He has over 300 career saves. Even if we overpaid for him, you can't deny he'd still be a good reliver. Worst case scenario is he gets paid closer money to be a sometimes closer mostly setup guy. He's NOT going to fall apart and be totally useless like Koch was.

FightingBillini
11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
OSUNA.
His numbers were great last year. He will was solid for us in the past, and he can be had for pretty cheap, I would imagine. The Sox could get him and Kline, and still have some room left to make other moves.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2004, 08:13 PM
I think practically anybody is an improvement over Neil 'Mr. Walks' Cotts and Jon "Gopher Ball' Adkins.

Lip

wdelaney72
11-04-2004, 11:24 AM
I think practically anybody is an improvement over Neil 'Mr. Walks' Cotts and Jon "Gopher Ball' Adkins.

Lip
Don't be so hard on these two guys. I think they've showed a lot of potential. I agree I don't want to rely on them in a playoff race, but I think they served very well in long relief situations.

I believe the "Mr. Gopher Ball" tag shoold be directed to Mike Jackson. Or should we just continue to call him "Mr. Batting Practice."

Anyway, let's just rejoice that Mike Jackson won't be back.

If you remove Koch and Jackson, I don't think our bullpen is in as bad of shape as people think. I think it's a good idea to sign one more guy to have more depth in case someone gets hurt. I'd also like to know what the hell happen to Marte last year. His leash needs to be shortened this year.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Adkins allowed 13 home runs and didn't pitch over 60 innings this year.

Lip

gosox41
11-04-2004, 01:16 PM

I've got a couple of names. First, Jim Mecir. He's a lefty who had a solid year on Oakland and is a FA. I'd also like to see the Sox go after Bob Wickman. He's an experienced closer who can be had for relatively cheap due to coming off an injury. Just add a lot of incentives in his contract and I think he's a good risk.

Bob

sircaffey1
11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
I've got a couple of names. First, Jim Mecir. He's a lefty who had a solid year on Oakland and is a FA. I'd also like to see the Sox go after Bob Wickman. He's an experienced closer who can be had for relatively cheap due to coming off an injury. Just add a lot of incentives in his contract and I think he's a good risk.

Bob

I don't believe Mecir is left-handed...you might be thinking of Hammond from OAK who is left-handed who had a very solid year and is a FA...

Hammond and a Percival would be tremendous...

You know KW will dabble in the grizzled vets that no one gives a chance, like the Loaizas, Jacksons, Persons, etc...it would be tremendous if we can add a kline/hammonds and a Percy and then have one of those bargain bin types pan out...

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 03:24 PM
................ or you could see if you could wait up for Everyday Eddie ......... and get him on the cheap if you want to go the cheap route.

:reinsy " Did you say Cheap? ............ Keep talking, Im interested"

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Don't be so hard on these two guys. I think they've showed a lot of potential.

:reinsy " That, and they work for low wages, heh heh"