PDA

View Full Version : the no midget rule

sld7c
11-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Okay so here's a question I had when reading Veeck as in Wreck and which still puzzles me to this day: How is the rule barring midgets from baseball worded? I'm assuming there is such a rule, as we don't see Montreal/D.C loading up on midgets (the only way I see the Expos being an above .500 team next time around). But how is it worded? How was it ever passed to not exclude short people who might happen to be good at baseball? How does it not run afoul of the American's with Disabilities Act, various civil rights bills, and assorted lobbies? Can any lawyer and or obsessive baseball trivialist tell me what the wording of this rule is?

Fenway
11-03-2004, 09:17 AM
There was never a rule as such. The then president of the AL simply didn't approve the contract

Okay so here's a question I had when reading Veeck as in Wreck and which still puzzles me to this day: How is the rule barring midgets from baseball worded? I'm assuming there is such a rule, as we don't see Montreal/D.C loading up on midgets (the only way I see the Expos being an above .500 team next time around). But how is it worded? How was it ever passed to not exclude short people who might happen to be good at baseball? How does it not run afoul of the American's with Disabilities Act, various civil rights bills, and assorted lobbies? Can any lawyer and or obsessive baseball trivialist tell me what the wording of this rule is?

Brian26
11-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Okay so here's a question I had when reading Veeck as in Wreck and which still puzzles me to this day: How is the rule barring midgets from baseball worded?

I read the book 6 months ago, but I don't remember the specifics. I think the general idea was this: the AL president or commissioner at the time disapproved of it because Veeck was trying to sneak players onto his roster without proper 24 or 36 hr notice. There's nothing stopping any team from having 2 or 3 midget players on their team, but it would ultimately hurt them because it would be wasted roster spots.