PDA

View Full Version : Angels cut ties with Percival

SomebodyToldMe
11-02-2004, 08:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-angels-percival&prov=ap&type=lgns

discuss if you want.

nodiggity59
11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcDBuM2RlBF9TAzk1ODYxNzc3BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-angels-percival&prov=ap&type=lgns

discuss if you want.
I would love for us to sweep in and grab him. Something in the 2 year $8mil dollar range is about as far as I see us offering him. This guy could give us a pretty nice pen and may be ignored by teams lining up for Benitez.

OEO Magglio
11-02-2004, 08:39 PM
I would love for us to sweep in and grab him. Something in the 2 year $8mil dollar range is about as far as I see us offering him. This guy could give us a pretty nice pen and may be ignored by teams lining up for Benitez.
I'd love to get troy. If the sox could somehow get him I'd be real happy with our bullpen.

RKMeibalane
11-02-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd love to get troy. If the sox could somehow get him I'd be real happy with our bullpen. I had the same thought. Percival's arrival would allow the Sox to move Shingo to the setup role, and it would also enable them to get rid of some of the garbage they had in their 'pen last season.

OEO Magglio
11-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I had the same thought. Percival's arrival would allow the Sox to move Shingo to the setup role, and it would also enable them to get rid of some of the garbage they had in their 'pen last season.
Moving marte to the 7th and politte to the 6th. The backend of our pen would be absolutely sick, add Neal and adkins and you have a real solid pen, it should be interesting to see what Troy's value is on the market.

I_Liked_Manuel
11-02-2004, 10:44 PM
the simple addition of percival give us at least 5-8 more wins- shingo's role gets easier, the pressure is off marte, politte can pitch in a role more comfortable, and cotts gets bumped down.

Hangar18
11-03-2004, 11:47 AM
I had the same thought. Percival's arrival would allow the Sox to move Shingo to the setup role, and it would also enable them to get rid of some of the garbage they had in their 'pen last season.
:reinsy " Whoa Whoa Whoaaaaaaaa, wait a second. GARBAGE?
I saved you people a ton of money by letting Scott Sullivan and Tom Gordon
leave. I replaced them with Cliff "firestarter" Politte and Mike "No Action" Jackson, much much cheaper ....... and now you people want to SPEND THE MONEY WE JUST SAVED on this Percival guy?
Are you people Crazy ???!!! Cry me a river ............ "

Hangar18
11-03-2004, 11:50 AM
the simple addition of percival give us at least 5-8 more wins- shingo's role gets easier, the pressure is off marte, politte can pitch in a role more comfortable, and cotts gets bumped down.
8 wins is definitely a decent estimate. Does anyone remember How Much Keith Foulke made in 2003? and how much Billy Koch made in 2003?

ondafarm
11-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Go after Troy!!! He definately would give the bullpen a lot more flexibility. A hard throwing lefty, a hard throwing righty and a soft throwing righty.

BTW, I don't think that ML hitters will ever really adjust to Shingo. Like Maddux, he always managed to keep even the best Japanese hitters off-balance.

pinwheels3530
11-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Were not getting him let it go........JR is cheap!

SOXSINCE'70
11-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Ahhhhh, a man after my own heart.:D: :D: :D:

Hangar18
11-03-2004, 12:31 PM

:reinsy " Thank you Pinwheels, for being the Voice of Reason here.
These people have some Nerve. After I Just Saved us A Bunch of Money
in our Bullpen, These people want me to go and RESPEND. Are you kidding me? Selig! Get in here and get me a drink before I lose my cool "

:tool " Yes sir mister REIN$DORF !"

fquaye149
11-03-2004, 12:47 PM
^^^you need to move on with your life - we signed freddy for 9 million and we have contreras for 6 million. . . so it's not like jr is unwilling to spend when the talent is there. now that might make it hard to sign percival, but if we don't sign him it won't be because "jr is cheap"

and for the record 4 million a year is a lot of money for a relief pitcher. for that bank i would hope he would be certainly our closer all year. if so, it's a steal, if not, it's overspending.

i'd like to see it happen though.

Flight #24
11-03-2004, 12:57 PM
^^^you need to move on with your life - we signed freddy for 9 million and we have contreras for 6 million. . . so it's not like jr is unwilling to spend when the talent is there. now that might make it hard to sign percival, but if we don't sign him it won't be because "jr is cheap"

and for the record 4 million a year is a lot of money for a relief pitcher. for that bank i would hope he would be certainly our closer all year. if so, it's a steal, if not, it's overspending.

i'd like to see it happen though.
You're forgetting the WSI math.

If payroll = X then JR must be cheap because payroll does not = X+10

This relationship holds true for all values of X.

Randar68
11-03-2004, 01:55 PM
You're forgetting the WSI math.

If payroll = X then JR must be cheap because payroll does not = X+10

This relationship holds true for all values of X.
OMG! *****! The Theory of White Sox Relativity.

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2004, 12:10 PM
it should be interesting to see what Troy's value is on the market.Not what he thinks it is.If he wants to be paid like Mariano
Rivera,he should have 4 WS rings,not 1.Definitely affordable to
the Sox.No question about it.It would be nice to have a closer
who actually CAN close a game.Maybe i'm asking too much.

:reinsy

"Damn right.You're dreamin'!"