PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Moments in Recent White Sox History

Foulke29
11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Date: May 13, 2000

Batter: Jeff Abbott

Opponent: Twinkies

Well, we'd just had a rough week, and we were down by a run in the 9th. Jeff cranked a two run homer with Carlos Lee on First Base. Goosebumps and one moment that put the Sox back on course in their magical 2000 Season!

Etownsox13
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
The game in 93 when Bo Jackson hit a Hr in his 1st AB as a White Sox

The last game at the old ballpark

the game this year right before the 3 game sweep vs the twins, when Joe Crede hit a walk off vs the Tigers, I think we came back from 4 runs down that game.

soxwon
11-02-2004, 04:53 PM
1983 AL west Clincher vs seattle

that team was the BEST sox team ever.

Foulke29
11-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Date: July 5, 2000

Batter: Mike Sweeney

Opponent: K.C. Royals

This is possibly the coolest thing I ever remember seeing in a baseball game. With the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th at Kaufman Stadium, Keith Foulke is on the mound and throws three straight balls to Sweeney. Manuel had pulled an extra infielder from the outfield. Behind in the count and looking like it's going to be a White Sox loser, Foulke battles back and gets another two strikes over to set the situation to a full count. Sweeney cracks one up the middle - looking like it's going to get through, but out of no where, Ray Durham gloves the ball, steps on second and fires to First Base to get the highly improbable double play. Sox go on to win it by three in the 13th inning.

On a side note, the game had gone about 4 1/2 hours - and started late due to the game being in K.C. Regardless, my brother phoned me at close to 1 am to talk about the amazing game!

DumpJerry
11-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Since one person mentioned the 1980's, I assume July 31, 1991 is considered "recent." Robin Ventura. 'nuff said. :D:

Foulke29
11-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Since one person mentioned the 1980's, I assume July 31, 1991 is considered "recent." Robin Ventura. 'nuff said. :D:
What's the game?

ja1022
11-02-2004, 05:08 PM
1983 AL west Clincher vs seattle

that team was the BEST sox team ever.
I'll second both those thoughts. I was at that game and I remember everyone there remaining relatively calm when Lamp blew the save in the top of the ninth. It was like the crowd still expected the Sox to win and there was no panic. I was standing in the first row in left field and had a natural view down the third base line, and I posted here once before that I vividly remember Juice Cruz tagging up and then jumping on home plate with both arms raised. It seemed, even now, like it happened in slow motion (but that could have been the Falstaff). Awesome.

RKMeibalane
11-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Date: July 2, 2003

Opponent: Minnesota Twins

Pitcher: Eddie Guardado

Batter: Frank Thomas

This at-bat marked the official return of the Big Hurt as the one of the premier power hitters in baseball. Thomas drove a 3-2 pitch into the left field bleachers for a game-winning, two-run home run to defeat the Minnesota Twins and bring the Sox closer to first place in the AL Central. Fortunately, the momentum generated by this Sox victory was squashed the next night when Billy Koch gave up a walk-off home run to Quinten McCracken of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

kittle42
11-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Date: July 2, 2003

Opponent: Minnesota Twins

Pitcher: Eddie Guardado

Batter: Frank Thomas

This at-bat marked the official return of the Big Hurt as the one of the premier power hitters in baseball. Thomas drove a 3-2 pitch into the left field bleachers for a game-winning, two-run home run to defeat the Minnesota Twins and bring the Sox closer to first place in the AL Central. Fortunately, the momentum generated by this Sox victory was squashed the next night when Billy Koch gave up a walk-off home run to Quinten McCracken of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
It was Carl Crawford, wasn't it?

DumpJerry
11-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry

What's the game?This was the probably the number one favorite game on this site by all members. The Sox and Rangers were battling all night. During the game Robin hit a homer for number 11 for the MONTH (he was named Player of the Month during the game). Despite Robin's homer and Big Frank's homer, we were down by two runs in the 9th.

Bottom of the Ninth, bases juiced with Sox, two outs, Goose Gossage on the mound, Robin at bat, Sox 1 game out of first with the California loss earlier, a victory pulls us within half a game. Frank on deck. First two pitches, low, 2-0. Third pitch-outside letter high fast ball. YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! All 40,000+ present went crazy!!!!!!

Check the threads from last month when Robin announced his retirement, it is full of references to the game.

LongLiveFisk
11-02-2004, 06:12 PM

Hey, wasn't that the game where the moment Robin touched homeplate, Frank, all excited, lifted him up and was almost bouncing him like a baby? I think Robin's comment was something like, "I don't know what Frank was doing. I think he was burping me." LOL

That was an awesome game! :D:

RKMeibalane
11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
It was Carl Crawford, wasn't it?
Yes, it was. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

The Cheat
11-02-2004, 06:36 PM
June 19th -- 2000

Fifth inning. Sox score three runs in the bottom of the 5th of a scoreless pitchers duel. At the end of the 5th, the sold out stadium rises to chant "8 and a half", the current sox lead in the standings... The chant would continue throughout the rest of the game, which the Sox won 6-1.

Kip Wells got the win over Bartolo Colon.

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2004, 06:38 PM
There are lots of them, but Jose Valentin doing Samme-me-me's kiss kiss thing in the dugout after whacking a HR against them was awesome.

zach074
11-02-2004, 06:46 PM
I was at that game in 2000 when abbot his that home run. and some how we got into a nice diamond suite to, that was a game to remember.

DumpJerry
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey, wasn't that the game where the moment Robin touched homeplate, Frank, all excited, lifted him up and was almost bouncing him like a baby? I think Robin's comment was something like, "I don't know what Frank was doing. I think he was burping me." LOL

That was an awesome game! :D:yup, carried him in a Fireman's carry as if Robin weighed 120 pounds..........

Brian26
11-02-2004, 11:18 PM

That was an awesome game! :D:
Also the first night Hawk ever called Frank "The Big Hurt".

nodiggity59
11-02-2004, 11:55 PM
I remember, in 2000, when the Sox took 12 of 14 or so from the Yankees and the Indians...probably my proudest moment as a Sox fan.

GiveMeSox
11-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Probably June 2001 when carlos lee hit that walk off homer against the cubs on a friday night. It was absoutly amazing. It was a walk off grand slam oiff courtney duncan. I have never seen the place so lively. I remember all the cubs fans were all high and mighy cuz sosa tied the game off foulke in the 9th with a blast. Then we rocked em good. The whole way down from the upper deck was the greatest ever all the cubs suck chants and taunting was great.

Foulke You
11-03-2004, 12:09 AM
June 8th, 2001. White Sox vs Cubs. David Wells starts the game off brutally and doesn't get out of the 1st inning but some brilliant relief work from Sean Lowe managed to get the Sox out of the inning down only 2-0. Game goes into the bottom of the 10th inning and the Sox load the bases for Magglio Ordonez with 1 out. The Comiskey Park crowd gets to its feet only to be silenced by an improbable strikeout from Cubs pitcher Courtney Duncan. Up comes "El Caballo" Carlos Lee who falls behind 0-2 but fouls off a few pitches and then gets an 0-2 fastball from Duncan that was promptly launched into a frenzy of Sox fans in the left center field bleachers. Bedlam at 35th and Shields! I was in the RF seats for this game and I still have this game on tape. One of my more memorable "walkoff" HRs that I've attended and also the loudest I've ever heard the New Comiskey Park.:cool:

Foulke You
11-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Probably June 2001 when carlos lee hit that walk off homer against the cubs on a friday night. It was absoutly amazing. It was a walk off grand slam oiff courtney duncan. I have never seen the place so lively. I remember all the cubs fans were all high and mighy cuz sosa tied the game off foulke in the 9th with a blast. Then we rocked em good. The whole way down from the upper deck was the greatest ever all the cubs suck chants and taunting was great.
Actually, you are getting two great Sox vs Cubs games confused.:cool: It was the June 2000 game that Sosa tied off of Foulke only to have Ray Durham pull a shot down the line which drove in Herbert Perry in the 14th inning to win the game for the good guys. The Lee grand slam was in 2001.

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2004, 12:55 PM
So many of them are Cubs games. One of my favorites was June 28, 2002. Kerry Wood was pitching for the Cubs against I forgot who. The Cubs put up a 8-0 lead in the first 5 innings and the Cubs fans were really chirping. Then Wood bounced a ball of Konerko's coconut, and all hell broke loose. The Sox wound up trouncing the Cubs by a score of 13-9 IIRC, with Konerko leading the way. But the best part was the look on the Cubbie fans' faces. They sure shut up in a hurry.

Rocky Soprano
11-03-2004, 01:21 PM
So many of them are Cubs games. One of my favorites was June 28, 2002. Kerry Wood was pitching for the Cubs against I forgot who. The Cubs put up a 8-0 lead in the first 5 innings and the Cubs fans were really chirping. Then Wood bounced a ball of Konerko's coconut, and all hell broke loose. The Sox wound up trouncing the Cubs by a score of 13-9 IIRC, with Konerko leading the way. But the best part was the look on the Cubbie fans' faces. They sure shut up in a hurry.
The best game I have ever been to by far!

JUribe1989
11-03-2004, 07:26 PM
:smile: Wow, bragging rights for the rest of the year

Brian26
11-03-2004, 07:38 PM
So many of them are Cubs games.
Don't forget the June 2003 Friday afternoon game at the Cell that Jose won with a walkoff homer into the bullpen sports bar.

johnny bench
11-03-2004, 08:12 PM
How about Mr. Baseball, Mark Grace, getting picked off first base with the game on the line, taking the bat out of Samme's hands?

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 03:26 PM
There are lots of them, but Jose Valentin doing Samme-me-me's kiss kiss thing in the dugout after whacking a HR against them was awesome.

That was a great moment .............. :cool:

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 03:29 PM
June of 99, Mike Caruso hits a Homer in extra innings to eventually
give the SOX a Sweep at the Urinal. Awesome. I got laryngitis the next
day from cheering so loud all weekend.

1993, Frank Thomas Smoking a Line Drive into the LCenter Gap, scoring a flying
Steve Sax from 1st base for the win in the bottom of the 9th, over the
hapless cubbies! Awesome.

Baby Fisk
11-04-2004, 03:56 PM
This image:

:nolanventura

always reminds me of another wild mound scene in Sox history. Back in August 1991, the Sox were hosting the Blue Jays and this was a rare moment when I could see a Sox game on local TV here in Canada. Black Jack McDowell was pitching in the alternate black jersey. He hit Mark Whiten of the Jays with a pitch and Whiten charged the mound breathing smoke and fire. McDowell stood his ground and took a swing at Whiten, but Whiten absolutely CLOCKED McDowell. :o: My jaw hit the floor. I still have at home a photo clipped from a Toronto paper showing McDowell's head snapped all the way back after Whiten decked him. That was a wild memory forever seared in my mind. I can't even remember who won the game.

RKMeibalane
11-04-2004, 04:04 PM
The game BabyFisk is referring to took place on Sunday, May 19, 1991. The Sox defeated the Toronto Blue Jays 5-4 that day. Here is a photograph from the brawl that occurred.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2001/0814/photo/91brawl_i.jpg

Lip Man 1
11-04-2004, 04:05 PM
How about Carlton Fisk Day in 1997 when Terry Bevington came out to take out the pitcher and had NO ONE warming up in the bullpen!

Another 'great' moment in White Sox stupidity...err, I mean, history.

Lip

Baby Fisk
11-04-2004, 04:06 PM
The game BabyFisk is referring to took place on Sunday, May 19, 1991. The Sox defeated the Toronto Blue Jays 5-4 that day. Here is a photograph from the brawl that occurred.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2001/0814/photo/91brawl_i.jpgWild. Fisk looks like he's ready to take out three Jays on his own! YAAAAAARR!

RKMeibalane
11-04-2004, 04:19 PM
How about Carlton Fisk Day in 1997 when Terry Bevington came out to take out the pitcher and had NO ONE warming up in the bullpen!

Lip
Had I been Sox GM when that happened, Bevington would have been fired. There's no excuse for that kind of stupidity. None.

Hangar18
11-04-2004, 04:25 PM

Lip

Heres a good one. I remember this, the year was 1982, I was a kid.
Tony LaRussa had developed a bad habit of leaving in the bullpen pitchers
to get beat around, and Salome Barojas, came in in the 9th and gave up
like 5 runs, and Old Comiskey was Rocking to Thunderous BOO's.
Finally, LaRussa came out ...... to The CHEEERS and JEERS of the Crowd.
After LaRussa took the ball from Barojas, Salome walked off to a Sea of
Torrential BOOOOOs. New pitcher came in ........warmed up,
and then LaRussa started to walk back to the Dugout ......... and HE TOO
was Greeted by an even Louder Torrent of BOOOOOOOOOOOOOs.
It was hilarioius, because he got to the Foul Line, Stopped, Took
his cap off, opened his arms, Tipped his Cap to the Crowd, Bowed .....
then continued on into the dugout. This of Course Got the Crowd
really Riled up and BOOOOOED even Louder. One of the funniest
things Id ever seen baseball related. Totally Hilarious :redface:

Brian26
11-04-2004, 04:47 PM

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2001/0814/photo/91brawl_i.jpg

After the fight had been finished and certain players were ejected,
the greatest part of that game happened a couple of innings later...

Robin Ventura caming charging around thirdbase trying to score on a basehit to the outfield. Ventura put his arm up and absolutely drilled the Blue Jays catcher (I think it was Pat Borders). Robin ran right over him. The hit was completely, 100% clean. It was a great moment, because it was like Robin saying, "Blackjack, this one is for you, buddy."

Brian26
11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
It was hilarioius, because he got to the Foul Line, Stopped, Took
his cap off, opened his arms, Tipped his Cap to the Crowd, Bowed .....
then continued on into the dugout. This of Course Got the Crowd
really Riled up and BOOOOOED even Louder. One of the funniest
things Id ever seen baseball related.

LaRussa was nuts in the 80's. I just saw that Seaver 300 win again on ESPN Classic a few weeks back. There was a bad call at the plate, and LaRussa came charging out of the dugout like a man possessed. He had to be restrained by 4 guys.

Baby Fisk
11-04-2004, 05:02 PM
LaRussa was nuts in the 80's. I just saw that Seaver 300 win again on ESPN Classic a few weeks back. There was a bad call at the plate, and LaRussa came charging out of the dugout like a man possessed. He had to be restrained by 4 guys.If he was more like that since leaving the Sox, he might have 4 WS rings.

Foulke29
11-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Actually, you are getting two great Sox vs Cubs games confused.:cool: It was the June 2000 game that Sosa tied off of Foulke only to have Ray Durham pull a shot down the line which drove in Herbert Perry in the 14th inning to win the game for the good guys. The Lee grand slam was in 2001.
I was at this game as well and in the upper deck behind home plate - after Sammy Sosa hit that HR, I went to the bathroom in disgust, and Cub fans were chanting SAMMY SAMMY SAMMMMMMMY in our bathroom in our house!

I started chanting Yankee pin stripes as loudly as I could, and the Sox fan in the bathroom started chanting it with me (Sosa was talking about leaving the Cubs for the Yankees at the time). The Cub morons shut up at that point!

Hangar18
11-05-2004, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Foulke29]I was at this game as well and in the upper deck behind home plate - after Sammy Sosa hit that HR, I went to the bathroom in disgust, and Cub fans were chanting SAMMY SAMMY SAMMMMMMMY in our bathroom in our house!
QUOTE]

I was sitting about 20 rows behind the SOX Dugout ........ and these Cub Morons (ok, they were kind of happy to be beating us) were coming down
the aisles, with a go cubs sign of some sort and flags, parading up and down
every 1/2 inning, and that Sammy homer got about 10 of those bozos
up and down the aisle. As Soon as the ball left Caballos bat, I Jumped
about 20ft in the air ...... the left fielder didnt bother looking up either.....
and a bunch of SOX fans grabbed the cubby fans sign and Ripped it into
89 pieces, as he stood there Stunned ......... and Silent, in disbelief.
What a Moment that was too ............

Foulke29
11-05-2004, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Foulke29]I was at this game as well and in the upper deck behind home plate - after Sammy Sosa hit that HR, I went to the bathroom in disgust, and Cub fans were chanting SAMMY SAMMY SAMMMMMMMY in our bathroom in our house!
QUOTE]

I was sitting about 20 rows behind the SOX Dugout ........ and these Cub Morons (ok, they were kind of happy to be beating us) were coming down
the aisles, with a go cubs sign of some sort and flags, parading up and down
every 1/2 inning, and that Sammy homer got about 10 of those bozos
up and down the aisle. As Soon as the ball left Caballos bat, I Jumped
about 20ft in the air ...... the left fielder didnt bother looking up either.....
and a bunch of SOX fans grabbed the cubby fans sign and Ripped it into
89 pieces, as he stood there Stunned ......... and Silent, in disbelief.
What a Moment that was too ............
I think we're talking about two different games. The game that Sosa connected on Foulke in the 9th was won by Durham with a double down the third base line - and a guy on second. . .

hold2dibber
11-05-2004, 03:31 PM
I believe the year was 2001. Sunday afternoon game against the Tigers. I went with my Dad, Uncle and then 6 year old son. We usually sit in the cheap seats, but that day we asked for best available and got 4 right behind home plate in about the 10th row, with the scouts and Tigers' family members. IIRC, they were no-hit through 7 and went into the bottom of the 8th down 6-0. Totally lifeless corpse-ball type game to that point, absolutely nothing to cheer about. Then they went off in the 8th, scoring 4 runs to close the gap, the big blow a 3 run, 2 out double by Singleton (thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple). They then scored 2 in the 9th to tie and the place was going up for grabs. Then in the 10th, Konerko comes up with a man on and as soon as he hit it, I started running up and down the aisle, dealing high fives cuz you knew as soon as it left his bat that it was WAY out. The combination of the great comeback after being so completely lifeless, plus being there with the "baseball guys" from my family, plus having those amazing seats made it a day I'll never forget.

Brian26
11-05-2004, 07:54 PM
I think we're talking about two different games. The game that Sosa connected on Foulke in the 9th was won by Durham with a double down the third base line - and a guy on second. . .
Milkman Perry scored on that hit. You're absolutely correct.

TommyJohn
11-06-2004, 09:06 AM

Lip

BEVINGTON!!!!
ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry:

skobabe8
11-06-2004, 07:58 PM
That game in '03 against the twins in July-i think-was one of my favorite moments. We randomly bought tickets from a scalper that day, something we almost never choose to do. But these sits were behind home plate, one row in back of the Hunter family, and were like half off face value. Torii was having a great game, and we were hearing about it all day long. The Twins lead most of the way. Every time the Sox chipped away, it seemed like they answered. We were down a couple in the bottom of the ninth when in comes Paul Konerko to pinch hit. I think at the time Paulie was battin about a buck 50 and just plain strugglin. He must have just ran into one and launched it to tie things up. Frank eventually did the same to win it in extras. Unreal.

SOXSINCE'70
11-06-2004, 10:02 PM
I agree.Watched it on SportsChannel.Game ended around 10:30 .
The first guy in the dugout to greet Robin,if you look closely,
was Dan Jiggetts (I have it on tape).I tried to go to sleep
after the game but was so revved up I stayed awake until
12:30.That made for a painful 5:00 AM wake up call.
But it was worth it just to see the slam.:bandance: :bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
11-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I believe the year was 2001. Sunday afternoon game against the Tigers. I went with my Dad, Uncle and then 6 year old son. We usually sit in the cheap seats, but that day we asked for best available and got 4 right behind home plate in about the 10th row, with the scouts and Tigers' family members. IIRC, they were no-hit through 7 and went into the bottom of the 8th down 6-0. Totally lifeless corpse-ball type game to that point, absolutely nothing to cheer about. Then they went off in the 8th, scoring 4 runs to close the gap, the big blow a 3 run, 2 out double by Singleton (thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple). They then scored 2 in the 9th to tie and the place was going up for grabs. Then in the 10th, Konerko comes up with a man on and as soon as he hit it, I started running up and down the aisle, dealing high fives cuz you knew as soon as it left his bat that it was WAY out. The combination of the great comeback after being so completely lifeless, plus being there with the "baseball guys" from my family, plus having those amazing seats made it a day I'll never forget.
I called Konerko's HR.Honest.Told a friend that Matt Anderson
(he gave it up on a 2-0 pitch) better throw strikes or our best
fastball hitter would turn their best fastball hitter around.
I was right.We almost left that game.My friend,who drove that
day,said "we're stayin' till the 9th".I moaned and bitched because
what were the odds the Sox would come back from a 6-0 deficit
with Steve Sparks throwing a 3 hitter into the bottom of the 8th??
But the Sox rallied with 4 in the 8th,2 in the 9th (on a 2 run double
by Chris Singleton,who was out at third trying to stretch it to a triple).

Brian26
11-07-2004, 10:56 AM
That game in '03 against the twins in July-i think-was one of my favorite moments. ... We were down a couple in the bottom of the ninth when in comes Paul Konerko to pinch hit. I think at the time Paulie was battin about a buck 50 and just plain strugglin. He must have just ran into one and launched it to tie things up. Frank eventually did the same to win it in extras. Unreal.
You could easily argue Frank's at-bat to win it in extra innings is one of the all-time greatest at-bats in the last 15 years of White Sox baseball. Frank battled Guardado, fouling off pitch after pitch after pitch. I think he took Guardado to 18 pitches before finally hitting the homer. We were in the leftcenterfield bleachers. When Frank finally connected, we knew it had the distance, but weren't sure if it was fair or foul. Once the ump signaled and the scoreboard started going off, we knew it was fair. This is definitely one of the greatest comebacks the Sox have ever put together.