PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Payroll to be same?

cornball
11-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I know Lip had a similar thread regarding the Trib article the other day, but this from whitesox.com and says the same thing. Between 63-65 million. A very, very,very sad state of affairs. 88 years and counting.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20041030&content_id=908442&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2004, 02:24 PM
I know Lip had a similar thread regarding the Trib article the other day, but this from whitesox.com and says the same thing. Between 63-65 million. A very, very,very sad state of affairs. 88 years and counting.A couple of points, here.
1. As I've pointed out many times, the effect of payroll on winning is a lot less than most people believe. Increasing payroll by 10% results in a net increase in expected wins of less than one. The odds of winning a division increase by only a few percent. How you spend your money is a lot more important than how much you spend.
2. I would take any payroll projections with a large grain of salt. As we saw last year, they started the season with a significantly higher payroll than the earlier projections. It's going to depend on what deals present themselves and what they can do. I don't think they will necessarily pass up a good deal if it increases the payroll by a small amount. It's very possible that payroll will increase. It's a projection, not cast in concrete.

Iwritecode
11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
It's easier to say payroll will stay the same and end up raising it than to say payroll will definetly go up, have a couple of deals fall through and then not stick to your word.

KW is just playing it safe for right now.

cornball
11-02-2004, 04:54 PM
A couple of points, here.
1. As I've pointed out many times, the effect of payroll on winning is a lot less than most people believe. Increasing payroll by 10% results in a net increase in expected wins of less than one. The odds of winning a division increase by only a few percent. How you spend your money is a lot more important than how much you spend.
2. I would take any payroll projections with a large grain of salt. As we saw last year, they started the season with a significantly higher payroll than the earlier projections. It's going to depend on what deals present themselves and what they can do. I don't think they will necessarily pass up a good deal if it increases the payroll by a small amount. It's very possible that payroll will increase. It's a projection, not cast in concrete.
1. If you believe with a payroll of 63-65MM we have a chance to win the pennant, god bless you. Can you be competitve in the division, sure, however we finished 9 GB this year and 3 games over .500. If you believe the team will increase the payroll at the trading deadline if competitive, understand it will be by trade and it is at a time when you have no leverage. PK, CLee, Thomas, Everett, MB, Garcia, Contreras, Shingo and Marte have us at 52.5MM. That would be the minimum or 500K for the remaining 12 players. Rowand, Garland,Timo, Uribe and Politte will be over a million this year, Garland maybe 3-4 million.

2. So the report is false or several guys will be gone? The need for a shortstop is still there along with a huge hole in the starting staff.

3. That maybe your belief that payroll has alot less effect than most people, but I would like to try it........just once! Every team could spend more wisely and hind site is great, however this team could be special with a little more money available. I hope it is not true. I don't think I can take the Harris and Bourchard era of White Sox baseball.

gosox41
11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=cornball]1. If you believe with a payroll of 63-65MM we have a chance to win the pennant, god bless you. Can you be competitve in the division, sure, however we finished 9 GB this year and 3 games over .500. If you believe the team will increase the payroll at the trading deadline if competitive, understand it will be by trade and it is at a time when you have no leverage. PK, CLee, Thomas, Everett, MB, Garcia, Contreras, Shingo and Marte have us at 52.5MM. That would be the minimum or 500K for the remaining 12 players. Rowand, Garland,Timo, Uribe and Politte will be over a million this year, Garland maybe 3-4 million.

QUOTE]

Yet the Sox finished behind Minnesota who spend about $9 mill less.

Bob

jabrch
11-03-2004, 10:55 AM
1. If you believe with a payroll of 63-65MM we have a chance to win the pennant, god bless you. Can you be competitve in the division, sure, however we finished 9 GB this year and 3 games over .500.
Had Frank and Magglio not missed a ton of games between them, what would have happened?

cornball
11-03-2004, 12:38 PM
QUOTE]

Yet the Sox finished behind Minnesota who spend about $9 mill less.

Bob[/QUOTE]

For two reasons regarding Minnesota. #1 The lousy division and #2 prospects that actually perform at the major leauge level when called up.

Justafan
11-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, seems I started a thread a few weeks back saying that it would be long off season and some of you said I should wait and see what happens. Same crap, different year.

pinwheels3530
11-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Ok so let's stop all the Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Carlos Beltran talk it's offically dead. Carl Everett will play right field for the Sox and we will have no fifth starter. Glad to see JR is still trying to win a championship on the cheap.:mad: