PDA

View Full Version : My Offseason Wish List - Realistic!

ukigdog
11-02-2004, 10:47 AM
1. Trade Carlos Lee, Willie Harris, Joe Borchard, prospect for Randy Johnson (Randy Johnson has 16 million next year, 6 of which deferred. Lee is 8 million, thus for next years books +2 million)
2. Sign Armando Benitez (+4 million)
3. Sign OF with power (JD Drew??) (+8 million)
4. Sign Omar Vizquel (+4 million)
5. Lose Maggs (-14 million)
6. Lose Jose (-5 million)
7. Sign veteran catcher (+1-2 million)

**Payroll Stays the same, as we want, team looks great, only stipulation is that the RJ trade may not be enough, but say it is.

Lineup:
(CF) Aaron Rowand
(SS) Omar Vizquel
(RF) JD Drew
(DH) Frank Thomas
(1B) Paul Konerko
(LF) Carl Everett
(3B) Joe Crede
(c) Veteran FA
(2B) Uribe

Bench:
(1B/OF) Ross Gload
(SS/2B) Wilson Valdez
(C) Jamie Burke
(C) Ben Davis
(OF) Timo Perez

**Lineup is perfect i think. Balanced throughout, speed and contact at 1,2 position, then power 3-6, then speed at 9 spot with uribe.

Rotation:
Randy Johnson
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buehrle
Jose Contreras
John Garland

**Tops in American League i feel by far. Having a guy who won 11 games last year as your no. 5 starter is awesome.

Bullpen:
(LR) John Adkins
(LR) Neil Cotts
(RSU) Cliff Politte
(RSU) Shingo Takatsu
(LSU) Damaso Marte
(CL) Armando Benitez

**Not the best bullpen, but i think moving Shingo to setup and bringing in proven closer is the best here.

In the end, by trade deadline i can see trading for another veteran releif pitcher for bullpen, and possibly another hitter with power to place in outfield if Everett doesnt play so well.

We have flexibility while staying at the suggested payroll for the season. I think its a division winner this time, with a more balanced lineup, higher OBP and more continuity. Also, a killer pitching staff.

California Sox
11-02-2004, 10:52 AM
One thought: Arizona's probably not going to want either Carlos or Borchard for RJ. They are absolutely awash in outfielders, particularly RH with power, in their minors. I bet they're looking for pitching.

Iwritecode
11-02-2004, 10:52 AM
1. Trade Carlos Lee, Willie Harris, Joe Borchard, prospect for Randy Johnson (Randy Johnson has 16 million next year, 6 of which deferred. Lee is 8 million, thus for next years books +2 million)

**Payroll Stays the same, as we want, team looks great, only stipulation is that the RJ trade may not be enough, but say it is.

Lineup:
(CF) Aaron Rowand
(SS) Omar Vizquel
(RF) JD Drew
(DH) Frank Thomas
(1B) Paul Konerko
(LF) Carl Everett
(3B) Joe Crede
(c) Veteran FA
(2B) Uribe

Bench:
(1B/OF) Ross Gload
(SS/2B) Wilson Valdez
(C) Jamie Burke
(C) Ben Davis
(OF) Timo Perez

**Lineup is perfect i think. Balanced throughout, speed and contact at 1,2 position, then power 3-6, then speed at 9 spot with uribe.

Rotation:
Randy Johnson
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buehrle
Jose Contreras
John Garland

**Tops in American League i feel by far. Having a guy who won 11 games last year as your no. 5 starter is awesome.

Bullpen:
(LR) John Adkins
(LR) Neil Cotts
(RSU) Cliff Politte
(RSU) Shingo Takatsu
(LSU) Damaso Marte
(CL) Armando Benitez

**Not the best bullpen, but i think moving Shingo to setup and bringing in proven closer is the best here.

In the end, by trade deadline i can see trading for another veteran releif pitcher for bullpen, and possibly another hitter with power to place in outfield if Everett doesnt play so well.

We have flexibility while staying at the suggested payroll for the season. I think its a division winner this time, with a more balanced lineup, higher OBP and more continuity. Also, a killer pitching staff.

Why get rid of C. Lee only to turn around and get Drew for the same price??? Besides, I don't think the D-Backs would be all that interested in either Lee or Borchard...

LVSoxFan
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
Randy Johnson to Sox would be just what the doctor ordered.

I like your thinking; but I think getting Johnson and then building around that--before any Vizquel or anybody else--would be killer.

How realistic, really, though is it to think we could get Johnson? Don't the Yankees want him too?

ukigdog
11-02-2004, 11:07 AM
True with all of this. If not CLEE then PK in a deal maybe throwing in Felix Diaz, or Munoz to seal the deal cause if Arizona loses Sexson they will want PK for sure. Also, i know that we have a good chace cause of that article from NY saying we have the best shot cause of what talent we would offer.

Take it for what its worth, but if we do PK instead, we can put CLEE in left, still get an OF with power and work Everett out at first, or try to nab a decent 1b with power to replace PK.

Why would we trade CLEE and then sign OF to replace him?? Its simple cause we need to trade something to get RJ, and either CLEE or PK would be fine with me, as long as we get someone to replace him in FA.

misty60481
11-02-2004, 11:09 AM
I see Mirabelli is FA at last year $825,000 might be good pick-up..

ukigdog
11-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Also,

Who is to say that Arizona wont take CLEE. Who wouldnt take a prove .300 30+ home runs no matter what they got in minors. The minors are not proven. If they want RJ off the books they would do it in a heart beat, then turn around and trade one of those prospects for pitching.

Rocky Soprano
11-02-2004, 11:14 AM
1. Trade Konerko, Jon Garland for Randy Johnson
2. Sign Pavano

I dont think our payroll would go up that much. (but i didnt do the math)

Lineup:
(CF) Aaron Rowand
(SS) Omar Vizquel
(DH) Frank Thomas
(LF) Carlos Lee
(RF) Carl Everett
(1B) Gload
(3B) Joe Crede
(c) Davis/Burke
(2B) Uribe

Rotation:
Randy Johnson
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buehrle
Carl Pavano
Jose Contreras

Would we even need a bullpen?

wdelaney72
11-02-2004, 11:19 AM
I know you are trying to be realistic, but this lineup results in the same offensive problems we've had for a long time - unitmely, meaningless HR with no OBP and no speed.

Yes RJ improves the pitching rotation dramatically, but I don't want it to cost us Carlos Lee. Not only does he consistently put up solid numbers, he's always healthy. He's the most reliable player we've had over the last 4 years. If there's any way to ship Konerko instead of Carlos, you do it.

I have a feeling, Arizona would want Rowand instead of Carlos or Konerko, which scares the hell out of me. If they deal RJ, it's for the purpose of dumping salary and rebuilding. I don't see Lee and Konerko fitting that purpose.

oneil78
11-02-2004, 11:38 AM
1. Trade Konerko, Jon Garland for Randy Johnson
2. Sign Pavano
This is sort of for everyone who's posted about this...

Do you guys even follow the Chicago White Sox? Are you idots? Or are you trying to piss off Sox fans that actually follow the Sox?

First, if you knew anything about baseball, the D-Backs aren't going to take Konerko since they can't let Sexson go, having gave up so much for him last winter. And if the Sox do get The Big Unit, they're increasing payroll.

Second, I don't know why people don't realize this, but the Sox have to pay 100% of Contreras contract this year, last year they paid nothing (well Loaiza's $4 million; so really you only have $6 million of Maggs' money to play with). And you also have to figure in Garcia's salary, another thing no one seems to be doing.

Do the Sox have money to spend? Yes, how much? Not $20 million. Maybe $10 million.

You guys are setting yourselves up for major disappointment if you actually believe what you're writing.

wdelaney72
11-02-2004, 11:50 AM
First, if you knew anything about baseball, the D-Backs aren't going to take Konerko since they can't let Sexson go, having gave up so much for him last winter. And if the Sox do get The Big Unit, they're increasing payroll.

Second, I don't know why people don't realize this, but the Sox have to pay 100% of Contreras contract this year, last year they paid nothing (well Loaiza's $4 million; so really you only have $6 million of Maggs' money to play with). And you also have to figure in Garcia's salary, another thing no one seems to be doing.

Agreed on Sexson.

Disagree on Contreras. All reports when the trade happened indicated the Yankees gave Cash considerations equal to them eating 3 million out of the 9 million per year guaranteed to Contreras. The Sox are responsible for $6 million per year of Contreras's contract. If you have something that contradicts that, I'm open to it, but I've never read anything to the contrary.

Yes, I believe the Sox will need to add payroll and that to take on RJ's salary, Konerko or Lee will likely need to be dealt.

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM

Do you guys even follow the Chicago White Sox? Are you idots? Or are you trying to piss off Sox fans that actually follow the Sox?

Do the Sox have money to spend? Yes, how much? Not $20 million. Maybe $10 million.

You guys are setting yourselves up for major disappointment if you actually believe what you're writing.Well, I guess I have to wonder what team you've been watching. The reason the D-backs will be interested in Konerko is because Sexson is a FA, and he may cost more than Konerko makes. Plus, they'd be tied up for several years instead of the one year left on Konerko's contract. And no, the Sox do not pay 100% of Contreras' contract this year. The Yankees are paying everything over $6M over the life of the contract. And if you think Randy Johnson is way too expensive for the Sox, $6M of his $16M is deferred, so the net cost for 2005 is only $10M. PLus, the D-backs will probably include some cash to pay part of his salary (probably the deferred part). If they trade Lee or Konerko, they've freed up most of the money necessary. It's a very possible scenario.

munchman33
11-02-2004, 12:09 PM
The sox are only paying 6 million of Contreras' contract, yes, but the rest of the Maggs money is earmarked for pay raises to Buehrle, Shingo, Garland, etc. And don't forget Garcia's contract, too. Don't count on that money being there. The only way we make significant acquisitions is if Uncle Jerry expands the budget a little bit.

MisterB
11-02-2004, 12:09 PM

You forgot the $20M or so in raises/new salary for Thomas, Everett, Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, Takatsu, Marte and Konerko. Not to mention arbitration increases for Garland, Uribe and Rowand.

oneil78
11-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Well, I guess I have to wonder what team you've been watching. The reason the D-backs will be interested in Konerko is because Sexson is a FA, and he may cost more than Konerko makes. Plus, they'd be tied up for several years instead of the one year left on Konerko's contract. And no, the Sox do not pay 100% of Contreras' contract this year. The Yankees are paying everything over $6M over the life of the contract. And if you think Randy Johnson is way too expensive for the Sox, $6M of his $16M is deferred, so the net cost for 2005 is only $10M. PLus, the D-backs will probably include some cash to pay part of his salary (probably the deferred part). If they trade Lee or Konerko, they've freed up most of the money necessary. It's a very possible scenario.
The D'Backs got burned doing this with Sexson last summer, they aren't going to do it again. They almost have to re-sign Sexson or it's a PR nightmare.

You factor in Contreras' money, and the Sox payroll is already at $46 million before arbitration. So there isn't much room to add much money.
http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_28_dugoutdollars_archive.html

As for Randy Johnson... what do the Sox have that the D'Backs want? Lee, Garland, and or top pitching prospect? And who says that Johnson would even want to come here? I'd love for it to happen, but I doubt it.

ma-gaga
11-02-2004, 12:31 PM
ok, I can't log onto my server here at work (no attached pics), but Ukigdog's roster costs approximately $89 MM next year (I don't do deferred dollars):

Vet Catcher - 1.00
P.Konerko - 8.75
J.Uribe - 0.40
J.Crede - 0.40
O.Vizquel - 4.00
J.Drew - 8.00
A.Rowand - 0.50
C.Everett - 5.75
F.Thomas - 8.00
B.Davis - 1.75
J.Burke - 0.35
R.Gload - 0.40
T.Perez - 1.00
W.Valdez - 0.30
R.Johnson - 16.00
M.Buehrle - 5.75
F.Garcia - 8.00
J.Conteras - 6.00
J.Garland - 3.00
A.Benitez - 4.00
S.Takatsu - 2.50
D.Marte - 1.50
J.Adkins - 0.35
N.Cotts - 0.35
C.Politte - 1.00

Total - $89.05

The biggest "drain" on the roster is Konerko. The biggest waste of a FA signing will be Vizquel. RJ is great. But I don't know if it's reasonable to hope that JR increases payroll to this level.

:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2004, 12:37 PM
The D'Backs got burned doing this with Sexson last summer, they aren't going to do it again. They almost have to re-sign Sexson or it's a PR nightmare.

You factor in Contreras' money, and the Sox payroll is already at $46 million before arbitration. So there isn't much room to add much money.

As for Randy Johnson... what do the Sox have that the D'Backs want? Lee, Garland, and or top pitching prospect? And who says that Johnson would even want to come here? I'd love for it to happen, but I doubt it.I don't see why the D-backs HAVE to re-sign Sexson. There's nothing stopping them from cutting Sexson loose and acquiring Konerko. In fact, there are a lot of good reasons for doing just that. Why is it a PR nightmare?

Randy Johnson has a no-trade clause, so he would have to approve of any trade. But last year he included the White Sox as one of the teams he would approve. Unless he's changed his mind since then, it's a doable trade. And with a trade of Lee or Konerko, the net new money for 2005 is tiny.

I don't recall what other teams were on Johnson's acceptable list. The Yankees and Red Sox were IIRC, and maybe a few others. The Yankees have nothing much to trade that the D-backs need. If the Red Sox lose Pedro, they could look to replace him with RJ. My guess is the Yankees will do anything possible to prevent that, and might try to grease RJ going to the White Sox the way they did with Colon. There are a lot of ways this trade could happen.

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2004, 12:39 PM
ok, I can't log onto my server here at work (no attached pics), but Ukigdog's roster costs approximately $89 MM next year (I don't do deferred dollars):

Vet Catcher - 1.00

The biggest "drain" on the roster is Konerko. The biggest waste of a FA signing will be Vizquel. RJ is great. But I don't know if it's reasonable to hope that JR increases payroll to this level.

:gulp:The vet catcher for $1M is really a fantasy. Who are you going to get for $1M that's better than what the Sox already have?

ma-gaga
11-02-2004, 12:42 PM
(CF) Aaron Rowand
(SS) Omar Vizquel
(DH) Frank Thomas
(LF) Carlos Lee
(RF) Carl Everett
(1B) Gload
(3B) Joe Crede
(c) Davis/Burke
(2B) Uribe
Randy Johnson
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buehrle
Carl Pavano
Jose Contreras
Rocky's is much more payroll friendly. $83MM before deferrals, $77MM after (but seriously, does deferral money EVER count against the payroll? Is there anyone out there whom the W.Sox are still paying off now?).

Anyways, I gave you a bullpen, without a "proven closer", which would be a waste for the W.Sox, they have Shingo...

:gulp:

Iwritecode
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Total - $89.05

But I don't know if it's reasonable to hope that JR increases payroll to this level.

Come on. You've been around long enough to know the answer to this question...

ma-gaga
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
The vet catcher for $1M is really a fantasy. Who are you going to get for $1M that's better than what the Sox already have?I agree, the W.Sox already have 2 reasonable catchers on their roster (28 and 33 years old). They shouldn't be ADDING a third catcher this offseason.

I'm just calculating what Ukigdog wanted for his roster. :cool:

Rocky Soprano
11-02-2004, 01:08 PM

You guys are setting yourselves up for major disappointment if you actually believe what you're writing.
Last time I check it said WISH LIST above.

Most of the stuff you said is wrong.

Sexson is a FA, NY is paying some of Contrera's contract. So who is the idiot?

Ol Aches & Pains
11-02-2004, 08:16 PM
The Yankees have nothing much to trade that the D-backs need.
Fox Sports is reporting that they're offering Jorge Posada for Johnson. If I was Arizona, I'd make that deal in a New York minute. They can have the worst record in MLB without Randy Johnson.

MHOUSE
11-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Johnson has tops like 3 years left, right? Why would he waste time with the White Sox if the Yankees are interested? If the Yankees add some starting pitching then they can be right back in the ALCS. The Sox could have the best rotation in the AL with Johnson, but we haven't been to the PLAYOFFS in four years. No offense guys, but Johnson would be stupid to come here and we'd be stupid to get all these hopes up for nothing. I'm confident in Buehrle and Garcia most of all and then Garland will be 10-10 as a 4th or 5th starter (and could break out...) and Contreras is a wild card that I'm willing to take a chance on. We need bullpen help and some speed and defense. Trading CLEE or Paulie for Johnson would hurt our offense in exchange for an expensive novelty. RJ will either be slaving in Arizona again or wearing pinstripes.

Flight #24
11-03-2004, 05:08 PM

As for Randy Johnson... what do the Sox have that the D'Backs want? Lee, Garland, and or top pitching prospect? And who says that Johnson would even want to come here? I'd love for it to happen, but I doubt it.
OK, the Sox were paying Garcia's salary post-trade, same with Everett. So you only factor in the increase of 1.5mil for Garcia and 1 mil for everett. As for Contreras, they were paying him $6mil (prorated), anbd the Spanks are paying bonuses of $3mil each in 04 & 05 (IIRC). So that's flat.

Raises to guys under contract at the start of the year total about 10mil. So you have a net increase of about 12.5mil. Factor that against a decrease of about 21mil via Maggs (14), Valentin (5), & Shoney (1.7).

You should still have some $$$ to spend.

Flight #24
11-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Fox Sports is reporting that they're offering Jorge Posada for Johnson. If I was Arizona, I'd make that deal in a New York minute. They can have the worst record in MLB without Randy Johnson.
I believe thay also report that Posada has $29mil left on his deal. I highly doubt the DBacks are interested enough in Jorge to take on that albatross.

Ol' No. 2
11-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I believe thay also report that Posada has $29mil left on his deal. I highly doubt the DBacks are interested enough in Jorge to take on that albatross.He's listed at $9M for 2004, so if the $29M is over 3 years, that's not too bad. It's not like Posada is going to break down any time soon, and they don't have a decent catcher. If they're looking for some payroll flexibility after 2005, I would think a Lee or Konerko would be a better choice. But they may be thinking of this as a longer team solution at a need position. It depends on what they're looking for and what they've got in their farm system.

I think it's almost a certainty RJ will be pitching elsewhere next season. Anyone know what teams are on his acceptable list? I would think they'd keep that kind of thing on the QT, but you never know.

Foulke29
11-04-2004, 05:50 PM

Drew is a walking injury waiting to happen. I would be cautious in swapping him out for C.Lee.

Benitez has Saberhagen syndrome - he's only good every other year. Last time I checked, 2005 = bad.

whitesoxwilkes
11-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I'd take Pavano over Randy Johnson. The Big Unit, while overhwleming, is just plain old. I view Pavano as another Garcia type--innings eater who is well worth building a rotation around..although in our case, the rotation comes pre-built.

Ol' No. 2
11-04-2004, 09:38 PM
I'd take Pavano over Randy Johnson. The Big Unit, while overhwleming, is just plain old. I view Pavano as another Garcia type--innings eater who is well worth building a rotation around..although in our case, the rotation comes pre-built.The trouble with Pavano is that he's had only two really good years in his career, and last year was his best (3.0 ERA, 222 IP). The question you have to ask is "What's the chances he's going to repeat that next year?" His 4.21 career ERA is just about average for the NL. I wouldn't necessarily call him an "innings eater", either, since 2003 was his only other season over 140 IP. I wouldn't offer more than $7-8M, but someone else probably will. Most estimate he'll get around $10M. For that kind of money you could probably get Russ Ortiz, and you'd be better off. He's had six straight years of 195+ IP and a sub 4.0 ERA in four of those six.

cbrownson13
11-04-2004, 10:49 PM

First of all, I don't think it is right to call people idiots and to say they don't follow the team because of the opinions they may have. It's ignorant. And I think you are assuming of the Sexson issue.

Sexson quickly turned down an offer already from the Diamondbacks. According to his agent he is very interested in talking with the Mets. Also, the Diamondbacks are apprehensive about his injury problems.

You make it sound like the Diamondbacks ultimately hold Sexon's fate in their hands, which couldn't be more from the truth. Sexson can sign anywhere HE wants to, he holds his fate, not Arizona.